Music: Who are your favorite non-popular bands?

Say Hey Kid

They met at the crossroads.
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

I made a playlist for guys that want to check out different bands. I'm looking for bands that don't have millions of fans, followers, and sales.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Only Ones
Wishbone Ash
Raving Mojo's
U K
Babyshambles (on this side of the Atlantic)

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
It's hard to know if something is truly unpopular, but going by gut instinct:

Summoning : Stronghold
Ras Algethi : Oneiricon - The White Hypnotic
Rottrevore : The Epitome of Pantalgia
Mark Hollis : Mark Hollis
Graveland : In the Glare of Burning Churches
The Tear Garden : The Last Man to Fly
Abhorrence : Abhorrence
Origin : Origin
Ildjarn : Norse
Mortician : House by the Cemetary
Rudimentary Peni : Death Church
Download : Furnace
5ive Style : Miniature Portraits
Grandaddy : Sophtware Slump
Nunslaughter : Demoslaughter
Heresy : 1985-'87
Revolting Cocks : Beers Steers & Queers
Chaos U.K. : Chaos U.K.
Twilight Circus : Dub Plate Selection

Last edited:

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
It's hard to know if something is truly unpopular, but going by gut instinct:

Summoning : Stronghold
Ras Algethi : Oneiricon - The White Hypnotic
Rottrevore : The Epitome of Pantalgia
Mark Hollis : Mark Hollis
Graveland : In the Glare of Burning Churches
The Tear Garden : The Last Man to Fly
Abhorrence : Abhorrence
Origin : Origin
Ildjarn : Norse
Mortician : House by the Cemetary
Download : Furnace
5ive Style : Miniature Portraits
Grandaddy : Sophtware Slump
Nunslaughter : Demoslaughter
Heresy : 1985-'87
Revolting Cocks : Beers Steers & Queers
Chaos U.K. : Chaos U.K.
Twilight Circus : Dub Plate Selection
Revolting cocks, Do ya think I'm sexy...excellent

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Have no idea what the criteria for unpopular is. If it means there's zero cult following, I honestly don't think I've ever come across anything like that which I considered remotely good/satisfying, personally.

Closest for me might be Jon Hassell, who Brian Eno seemed to get all the credit for. I've been really liking Hiroshi Yoshimura lately, too.

Is Gas considered unpopular? If so, that's one of my all time favorites, too. Konigsforst blows me away.

Edit: Oh wait, bands specifically? Well, so much for that.

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Trying to think of a band that I like that is not ludicrously obscure and also widely disliked is almost a fool's errand, so I'm going to branch out a little bit:

Tony Martin-era Black Sabbath (between The Eternal Idol and Cross Purposes, obviously excluding Dehumanizer). This is a largely dismissed group of four albums that I think range from good to excellent.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Idlewild from Scotland.....100 Broken Windows is one of the best alt/indie rock albums I've ever heard still and their discography of their best 20-30 songs rivals anyone.

Puressence were my favourite Manchester band, their 2nd and 4th albums were particularly good.

The Jezabels from Australia put out some good songs but their debut album from 2011 is still my favourite from the decade, pop rock perfection.

Curve are forgotten compared to Garbage but they were the better band, especially their debut.

kent were one of the biggest maybe the biggest band in Sweden. Imo, they're the word's best rock band from the past 30 years and that includes Radiohead. Unbelievably large number of good songs from a big discography.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Idlewild from Scotland.....100 Broken Windows is one of the best alt/indie rock albums I've ever heard still and their discography of their best 20-30 songs rivals anyone.

Puressence were my favourite Manchester band, their 2nd and 4th albums were particularly good.

The Jezabels from Australia put out some good songs but their debut album from 2011 is still my favourite from the decade, pop rock perfection.

Curve are forgotten compared to Garbage but they were the better band, especially their debut.

kent were one of the biggest maybe the biggest band in Sweden. Imo, they're the word's best rock band from the past 30 years and that includes Radiohead. Unbelievably large number of good songs from a big discography.
Idlewild--good call!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Annihilator
Danko Jones
Gunship
The Beaches
Megaherz
Dance With The Dead

Just discovered Gunship several months ago, really dig their music and the “Fly for Your Life” video is a masterpiece.

A shamefully underrated band I love is Cannons.

Michele Joy is mesmerizing as hell when she sings and the band’s sound is like they time traveled from the 80s and started making modern music

The serial killer in Bad Dream reminds me of the love child of Weird Al and Daniel Radcliffe… his dancing is uh… unique in a disturbed Dance Fever kind of way… with a knife…

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad