Speculation: Who Are We Most Likely To Add?

What are we most likely to add

• Total voters

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Looking for those insured ltir style contracts to circumvent the cap floor for sure and will pay quality picks to save real money....then other than that a player or two who didn't get any other offers and will play for virtual league minimum for one final year ot two prior to moving on to Europe or formal retirement id assume, ala Hainsey, Ennis and Sabourin
Being an Ottawa Senators fan is so exciting.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
3rd-4th liner.

Potentially someone with a much higher cap hit than actual salary so we can balance out the floor. Thats about it.

I laugh at all the TSN 1200 discussion about us "weaponizing cap space." I guess they've been following a different team for the last friggin decade.
Never say never:even after signing our RFAs we're probably still going to be beneath the cap floor.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Tkachuk-Brown-Ryan
Duclair-Norris-Batherson
White-Tierney-Brown
Paul-Anisimov-Hawrlyuk

Formenton-Balcers-Abramov

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Jaros
Reilly-Zub
Brannstrom

Hogberg
Nilsson

Simply looking at that roster, we are quite crowded as is and that's without including either top pick in 2020 draft or any possible depth signings via UFA

So, just for this off-season(via trade or UFA), what do you think will be the biggest add to the current roster? If you think we are adding someone, who do they replace? Will be fun to revisit this after.
I don't think the Sens will go after any big names. There is a chance they look to trade for a notable player but I wouldn't count on it. I think the Sens look to give young players and prospects key roles and then just add players to help build out the identity.

I could see the Sens maybe looking into some buy low type trades especially if they are kind of reclamation projects. They could take a serious look at Jesse Puljujarvi and maybe someone like Nick Ritchie. Ritchie struggled in Boston in the playoffs so they might look to part with him.

The Sens play a physical style so I see them looking to add players that fit that. I also think that it is clear that Sabourin isn't able to take on the role they thought he might so I see them looking to replace him with someone more capable. They invited Tristan Scherwey to camp last year and he performed well so I could see them looking at him again. Devante Smith Pelly is also looking to get back in the NHL so I could see him fitting with the Sens. Zemgus Girgensons is another UFA that fits the Sens style so maybe they take a look at him. Jordan Nolan would be a good replacement for Sabourin and he will be available for a 2 way contract so he could be a solid target.

They could also look at UFA's like Dustin Byfuglien, Wayne Simmonds and Corey Perry if they are looking for more of a veteran, although I don't know if they would sign here.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think the Sens will go after any big names. There is a chance they look to trade for a notable player but I wouldn't count on it. I think the Sens look to give young players and prospects key roles and then just add players to help build out the identity.

I could see the Sens maybe looking into some buy low type trades especially if they are kind of reclamation projects. They could take a serious look at Jesse Puljujarvi and maybe someone like Nick Ritchie. Ritchie struggled in Boston in the playoffs so they might look to part with him.

The Sens play a physical style so I see them looking to add players that fit that. I also think that it is clear that Sabourin isn't able to take on the role they thought he might so I see them looking to replace him with someone more capable. They invited Tristan Scherwey to camp last year and he performed well so I could see them looking at him again. Devante Smith Pelly is also looking to get back in the NHL so I could see him fitting with the Sens. Zemgus Girgensons is another UFA that fits the Sens style so maybe they take a look at him. Jordan Nolan would be a good replacement for Sabourin and he will be available for a 2 way contract so he could be a solid target.

They could also look at UFA's like Dustin Byfuglien, Wayne Simmonds and Corey Perry if they are looking for more of a veteran, although I don't know if they would sign here.

I suspect a player would sign with Ottawa if Ottawa was paying at least 1 million more than any other team, particularly if the player had not already made a bundle on prior contracts to set them up for their future life.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
How many leafs are UFA's this year, cause we'll probably grab 4 of those guys again.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It's gonna be some kind of #6 defenceman that they will masquarade as a #4.

So ya, a past prime guy with a little name recognition and that much desired high cap to low real salary ratio.

While both UFA, Polak does work, Gudas also popped to mind.

Depending on the market for him, I could definetly see a Gudas or Trevor Van Riemsdyk type. An "established" D man on a short term $2-4 million range deal.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Realistically nobody of significance (Depth/AHL player quality). Would be nice to go after some buy-low options (Puljujarvi, AA, Anderson)...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Realistically nobody of significance (Depth/AHL player quality). Would be nice to go after some buy-low options (Puljujarvi, AA, Anderson)...

Those buy low options would excite me the most, tbh(outside of a legit top line/pairing talent). I'd love to add any of those 3 you mentioned.

One guy id absolutely love to add but probably unrealistic is Brodin

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Those buy low options would excite me the most, tbh(outside of a legit top line/pairing talent). I'd love to add any of those 3 you mentioned.

One guy id absolutely love to add but probably unrealistic is Brodin

Would be nice to add Brodin but I doubt he's available. Minnesota is apparently trying to get rid of Dumba, but I don't see the Senators being interested. No way we sign a guy like Krug or Pietrangelo, so best bet would be the guys we'd like to see. Don't see that happening too unfortunately. I think Dorion is going to stand pat until the expansion draft then maybe use a little bit of the cap space to make some deals with teams who are in cap hell.

Reactions: aragorn

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
one of Chris Tanev/Justin Braun/Travis Hamonic
and
one of Wayne Simmonds/Jimmy Vesey/Cody Eakin

The flat cap is going to allow us to get players that normally would not be in our price range. Plus it helps that each of these players have negative factors going against them injury prone/old/coming off a horrible season

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Pretty sure the plan this offseason is to acquire players with inflated cap hits at a perceived premium.

Shows other GM’s PD is a guy you want to deal with, shows the team we’re competing (sort of), shows the fan base we’re ending the rebuild and shows Eugene a better bottom line.

Then come trade deadline time move a few players out for the same assets we gave up (more or less).

So players from Toronto, Arizona, Vancouver and Florida come to mind. Maybe Columbus.

I expect us to move to 2nds this draft and at least a future 2nd and 3rd for 4+ players of this nature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad