Speculation: Who Are We Most Likely To Add?

What are we most likely to add

• Total voters

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Tkachuk-Brown-Ryan
Duclair-Norris-Batherson
White-Tierney-Brown
Paul-Anisimov-Hawrlyuk

Formenton-Balcers-Abramov

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Jaros
Reilly-Zub
Brannstrom

Hogberg
Nilsson

Simply looking at that roster, we are quite crowded as is and that's without including either top pick in 2020 draft or any possible depth signings via UFA

So, just for this off-season(via trade or UFA), what do you think will be the biggest add to the current roster? If you think we are adding someone, who do they replace? Will be fun to revisit this after.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
3rd-4th liner.

Potentially someone with a much higher cap hit than actual salary so we can balance out the floor. Thats about it.

I laugh at all the TSN 1200 discussion about us "weaponizing cap space." I guess they've been following a different team for the last friggin decade.

I dont think there is any sense in adding a depth forward they already have 14 guys under contract or rfa that will play or need to play. It would just stall the development of one of the young players. If they do anything its going to be for a D man. Goalie is already a log jam.

TSN 1200 lol just blow smoke up the fan bases asses then tell us the trades are hockey moves. Its something else. With the revenue losses to possibly think that this team will actually spend is asinine. I think youre right in they'll add a high cap hit low salary to get to the floor but if they do id wager its a D man. With the cap not going up lots of teams will need to get rid of a bad contract or two. I just dont expect the sens to get anything for taking it because it likely happens after the team pays the bonus before the transaction is completed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
No one making over $2.5M, unless $2.5M+ is going the other way.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think they need a 4th line enforcer of some kind which is why I think it's possible they could re-sign Sabourin to a cheap 1 yr contract for the first part of the season & bench him when a prospect is ready to take his spot.

At some point next season I think they try & deal Hawryluk, Balcers, Anisimov, Tierny, Reilly & Sabourin. Clearly not all of these guys will be traded since some have little value. This lineup might also guarantee another lottery spot for Ottawa in the 2021 draft. They need to move on from a lot of guys in this organization.

Tkachuk - White - Ryan
Duclair - Tierny - C. Brown
Hawryluk - Chlapik - Balcers
Paul - Anisimov - Sabourin???

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Reilly
Englund - Jaros/Zub

Nilsson - Hogberg

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
1. We have lots of cap space. We CAN weaponize it by taking on bad contracts for money, but we won't. At best there might be teams with "thrown-in" pieces for LTIR that help reduce the cost of the real asset we're acquiring.

2. Even if we can't weaponize it fully, we can take advantage of the situation to not get ripped off in trades. Guys like Tierney, Duclair, White, Brown, Paul, Hawrlyuk, Wolanin, Jaros, etc.. aren't all going to be long-term pieces.

3. We aren't going to use all those picks.

4. Lots of our guys are mid-tier NHL players, allstars, or ready for full-time duty. A lot of them are pretty cheap and younger too. Management will probably like the idea of "upgrading" one of those pieces for a more long-term solution. This can be done at forward, defence, and goaltending. There are opportunities everywhere right now.

5. There are quality guys like Strome(both), Gostibehere, Monahan, Johnsson, Deangelo, Montour, Dumba, Pulock, etc.. who might become budget casualties or rebound candidates and are young enough to be long-term pieces for Ottawa. Obviously some of them are better fits than others. Gostibehere has struggled, has a manageable salary, and with a high cap hit might be easier to acquire. Whereas a guy like Dumba has a lot of salary left and Minnesota might ask for a little too much.

Reactions: aragorn

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Tkachuk-Brown-Ryan
Duclair-Norris-Batherson
White-Tierney-Brown
Paul-Anisimov-Hawrlyuk

Formenton-Balcers-Abramov

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Jaros
Reilly-Zub
Brannstrom

Hogberg
Nilsson

Simply looking at that roster, we are quite crowded as is and that's without including either top pick in 2020 draft or any possible depth signings via UFA

So, just for this off-season(via trade or UFA), what do you think will be the biggest add to the current roster? If you think we are adding someone, who do they replace? Will be fun to revisit this after.
That is such a terrible roster. Why would we worry about crowding out AHLers who don't belong in the NHL (yet/ever)?

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't think we'll do much aside from acquire LTIR pieces to bring down the actual cash being spent. Hoping we acquire a top 4 defender or any other piece that can be a part of the long term as a vet

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think they bring in a guy who was maybe once a second pairing D but is now clinging to his NHL career as a 6-7. Think along the lines of Zach Bogosian. I think someone will give Boro $1.5-1.8M/yr for 2 years and that will be too rich for the Sens blood. LOL.

Then I think that either Reilly or Wolanin starts in the minors.

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Bogosian (or someone like that)
Wolanin - Zub
Jaros
Lajoie
Reilly

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think they bring in a guy who was maybe once a second pairing D but is now clinging to his NHL career as a 6-7. Think along the lines of Zach Bogosian. I think someone will give Boro $1.5-1.8M/yr for 2 years and that will be too rich for the Sens blood. LOL.

Then I think that either Reilly or Wolanin starts in the minors.

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Bogosian (or someone like that)
Wolanin - Zub
Jaros
Lajoie
Reilly
Probably fits the bill since that's exactly what they went after in Hainsey last year.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Probably fits the bill since that's exactly what they went after in Hainsey last year.

Exactly. Thrilling stuff, right?

I hope they have the foresight to at least sign someone that MIGHT increase their worth over the season so they can be flipped at the deadline. I'd rather a true reclamation project than a surefire 37 year old #6 D. I think guys like Jaros and Lajoie can finish a season for us at this point.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Exactly. Thrilling stuff, right?

I hope they have the foresight to at least sign someone that MIGHT increase their worth over the season so they can be flipped at the deadline. I'd rather a true reclamation project than a surefire 37 year old #6 D. I think guys like Jaros and Lajoie can finish a season for us at this point.
Lol, can't wait.

I agree. Pick someone you don't already know is essentially done.

This is where I wish we had some extra cash beyond 10 mil below the floor. Could grab an actual impact player as an investment for a good asset at the deadline.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Looking for those insured ltir style contracts to circumvent the cap floor for sure and will pay quality picks to save real money....then other than that a player or two who didn't get any other offers and will play for virtual league minimum for one final year ot two prior to moving on to Europe or formal retirement id assume, ala Hainsey, Ennis and Sabourin

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad