Who Are The Worst Playoff Performers Of All Time?

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
your data gathering is broken

I know you aren't arguing in good faith, but obviously because other teams can do it as well. E.g. Crosby won 3 Cups and didn't lead the Pens in playoff scoring any of those years. Phil Kessel led the Pens from the 3rd line in 2016.

His stats aren't terrible, they are about Datsyuk's.

Considering hes a regular and respected poster in the history forum I would highly suggest being more specific in what was in correct. Just saying youre wrong doesn't hold any merit without proof. Accusing him of not posting in good faith is factual terrible take.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Keith Primeau is up there when you compare his regular seasons. In 2004 people lost their mind because he was having a good postseason, but it was the only one he had. Overall he has 57 points in 128 playoff games. 18 goals. It is no surprise Detroit started winning Cups when he got traded and had Shanahan go the other way.

You can say Marcel Dionne, and I guess there is some merit there. He didn't play on good teams so you give him a break there, but he really should have had at least one great run at some point. He was certainly good enough to be a player that could do this during one playoff run.

I am more concerned about the guys who were in great situations with good teams and blew it. For that it is Joe Thornton for sure. Both Sedins come to mind as well. And I don't care how soft you are, you don't let Brad Marchand - a rookie at the time - punch you repeatedly in the face in the Cup final and just stand there like a pencil. The fact no teammates came to his defense and he didn't stop it himself was the moment I knew the Bruins were winning the Cup.

As a goalie does Luongo come into play here? And I mean as per being so skilled and having a great opportunity. I think he could fit the bill.

Right now I'd have to say the Maple Leafs core. Let's look at them individually:

Tavares - Was never inspiring as a playoff performer even on Long Island. Has had several years where he could have been a difference maker in Toronto. Lots of opportunities. All wasted.

Nylander - Might be the only one of the 4 not to make the HHOF, but he still has one playoff series win to his name. Never been a difference maker, his softness is always on full display in the playoffs

Marner - I don't know what it is, he is a great regular season player, but never scores at the moments you need him to in the playoffs.

Matthews - Like Marner, not horrible numbers. But very consistently just "meh" playoff numbers each year. Which is why they never get out of the 1st round. More than anyone Matthews can take over a series if he wants to.

All of the Leafs core still has a chance this season and following years to change this narrative. It happened with the likes of Datsyuk, Alfredsson, etc. who had a great run and it gave them a bit more of the benefit of the doubt.

Matthews has 23 goals in 54 games a 36 goal per 80 pace. Numbers are below regular season but 60 goal pace cant realisticly be your expectations in the playoffs.

Nylander 17 goals in 52 games 27 goal pace. If you start from 20 he has 14 goals in 32 games. Nylanders first 3 playoffs were bad with 3 goals and 11 points in 21 games.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
1000008650.jpg

The Vezina means nothing.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Considering hes a regular and respected poster in the history forum I would highly suggest being more specific in what was in correct. Just saying youre wrong doesn't hold any merit without proof. Accusing him of not posting in good faith is factual terrible take.
Lesson for you as well about appealing to authority

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He was Ottawa’s best defenceman in those playoffs.

He and Volchenkov played an absolute ton against top competition.

I agree that you would think he’d accidentally get a point somewhere.
People would probably argue Scott Stevens was the worst Conn Smythe winner of all time by making this same mistake.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Matthews has 23 goals in 54 games a 36 goal per 80 pace. Numbers are below regular season but 60 goal pace cant realisticly be your expectations in the playoffs.

Nylander 17 goals in 52 games 27 goal pace. If you start from 20 he has 14 goals in 32 games. Nylanders first 3 playoffs were bad with 3 goals and 11 points in 21 games.

I'll give him a bit of slack because he still has a decade to show the world a different story, but so far a guy with Matthews' skill ought to have taken the team by the horns in at least one playoff series. Or even a good healthy run. McDavid may not have made the Cup final yet, but in 2022 and 2023 he did everything humanly possible to make it happen. Matthews should have shown this sort of side by now.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia

Leading in Playoff Series, PTS* (series played by Joe Thornton)

* - tiebreakers:
1. Player with most goals.
2. Player with fewer games played.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Leading in Playoff Series, PTS* (series played by Joe Thornton)

* - tiebreakers:
1. Player with most goals.
2. Player with fewer games played.

sorry, you either lead the series in scoring or you don't. it's fine if there's a tie, particularly if you also win the series. besides, fewer games >>> most goals because it's a flat out higher rate of scoring.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
sorry, you either lead the series in scoring or you don't. it's fine if there's a tie, particularly if you also win the series. besides, fewer games >>> most goals because it's a flat out higher rate of scoring.

im using NHL Art Ross tiebreaker

The NHL rules stipulate three tiebreakers in case two or more players are tied in points:[1]

1. Player with most goals
2. Player with fewer games played

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad