Who are the top 5 goalies in the O?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think it's a bit early to make a solid list of 5 this early after not having a 2020-21 season, but I think they can be broken into categories:

Front-runners:
Brochu
Gaudreau
Lennox
Tynan
Vrbetic

Hot start, but not fully proven yet:
Cavallin
Costantini
Weeks

Not a great start, but could/should climb the list:
Austin
Cranley
Merilainen
Paputsakis

Wild cards:
Cajan
Thornton

Early on I'd assume everyone predicts some form or close to the first five listed in there. Cavallin has a shutout in one game but will Flint's roster be able to put him in position to be a top goalie? Costantini has been good for Hamilton and I like their roster, he's someone I'd keep an eye on. Sudbury could be a surprise team this year and Weeks will have a lot to do with it. Austin should get moved this year, otherwise he's hopeless in Peterborough. Same with Cranley. Merilainen and Paputsakis will need to be better for their teams. We haven't seen enough of Cajan or Thornton to make a decision there. Thornton will be in tough for playing time behind Gaudreau.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Brochu, Gaudreau, Tynan are locks for top 3. The last 2 spots will be filled with 2 of Lennox, Merilainen, Guzda, Vrbetic, Cranley, Paputsakis, Cajan, Cavallin.
No no either lalama or sbrocca for the last 2 spots.. in fact I’ll put lamama 4th

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
No no either lalama or sbrocca for the last 2 spots.. in fact I’ll put lamama 4th

Based off what?

Lalama is 19 and hasn't started an OHL game and was drafted in the u18 draft and you're already ranking him in the top 5?

Sbrocca is 19 as well and hasn't played more than 100 minutes in the OHL and his numbers in Jr A and B aren't all that impressive.

Neither goalie is ranks as an NHL prospect. They should play in front of a good barrie team and that will certainly inflate some numbers.

They might turn into something but I am curious how you already have them ranked so high.

I wouldn't even rank either of them in the top 10.

Reactions: Finster8

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Based off what?

Lalama is 19 and hasn't started an OHL game and was drafted in the u18 draft and you're already ranking him in the top 5?

Sbrocca is 19 as well and hasn't played more than 100 minutes in the OHL and his numbers in Jr A and B aren't all that impressive.

Neither goalie is ranks as an NHL prospect. They should play in front of a good barrie team and that will certainly inflate some numbers.

They might turn into something but I am curious how you already have them ranked so high.

I wouldn't even rank either of them in the top 10.
I’m joking

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
I agree that the top 3 are Brochu, Gaudreau, and Tynan. Luke Cavallin, Leevi Merilainen, Joe Vrbetic, Mack Guzda, Zachary Paptsakis, and Tristan Lennox are other goalies I would consider for the top 5. I don't how I would rank them at this point

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
If you are coach, these are the goaltenders you want in your crease:

1a. Gaudreau
1b. Brochu

Can't go wrong with either one above.

3. Lennox
4. Tynan
5. Guzda/Costantini/Cavallin

More comfortable with the first four goalies listed above than the last grouping

Reactions: LDN

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Coming back to this thread. How would you rank the top 5 goalies now about midway through the season?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Brochu, Gaudreau, Tynan are locks for top 3. The last 2 spots will be filled with 2 of Lennox, Merilainen, Guzda, Vrbetic, Cranley, Paputsakis, Cajan, Cavallin.

My updated one would be:

Brochu, Gaudreau, Guzda, Leaver, Lennox.

Tynan, Cranley, and Merilainen have fallen out of contention for me. Paputsakis, Ranger, Cavallin, Vrbetic and Cajan are right there in that 6-10 range.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDNknights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad