Who are the top 5 defensive defensemen in the NHL?

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Tanev, Pelech, McAvoy, Brodin, Spurgeon, Ekholm, Forsling, Toews, Slavin, Weegar.

See a lot of people putting Miro on here and he’s no doubt a great defender. He’s a tier below these guys. I think Miro is the best defender out of the “top dogs” like Makar, Hughes, Fox, Josi, Hedman.

Younger guys that bring more a shutdown game include Sanderson, Power and Byram. Brock Faber also isn’t that bad defensively

Last edited:
Reactions: DickSmehlik

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Gotta shout-out Ian Cole, still one of the underrated defensive D-men IMO (if you can help Tyler Myers redeem himself from being a tire fire with OEL to being an actually reliable defensive D-man, you're pretty good).

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Adam Fox is the best at defense of all the top point producer defensemen.

One of my favorite true DFD is Mattias Samuelsson.
Fox’s defensive metrics are similar to Hughes and Josi.

For defenseman that put up 50-60 points and are elite defensively, I’d say Heiskanen and McAvoy are that.

Also Samuelsson has fallen off considerably in that defensive aspect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

For defenseman that put up 50-60 points and are elite defensively, I’d say Heiskanen and McAvoy are that.

I think you're putting too much into one or two particular metrics from this one season in both situations.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

That's news to me.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Looking at the last couple years of numbers with these criteria:

1) faces hard D-zone deployments

2) near the top in xGA/60 Rel (relative to teammates).

3) near the top in GA/60 Rel

These players look really good:

Alex Vlasic
Chris Tanev

A surprising name close to them is Juuso Valimaki. Another is Jake McCabe.

Artem Zub and Adam Fox don't have the hardest D zone starts but are much much better than their teammates at limiting xGA and GA.

Slavin surprisingly has team average results with easy zone deployment. Same with Heiskanen. I'm a bit surprised.

Pelech is playing hard minutes and giving up more goals than his teammates.

Radko Gudas is playing easier third pair minutes for the most part, and getting much better results than his teammates - but this is light duty and the other Ducks D he's compared to are largely kids. The raw numbers (not relative) are still good though.

Sanderson's results are relatively good but not too a huge degree, and being better than Chabot isn't saying much. And his raw numbers aren't good.

Ekholm's results are relatively good but it's really hard to tell when his usage is so offensive on the ice with McDavid and company. I'm giving it to him because of the eye test.

Hampus Lindholm is facing hard D zone starts and is still well ahead of his Bruins teammates in both categories, which is hard to do on a team like that.

Forsling's two year numbers don't stand out but he has by far the best raw goals against this year, so he's in.

So after all of that, my top ten (in no order) is:

Forsling
A Vlasic
Lindholm
Zub
Fox
Tanev
Valimaki
McCabe
Gudas
Ekholm

Ad