Who are the teams building blocks

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Well the obvious is: Stamkos, Vinny, Marty, Hedman, and connacher. None of those should/ will go.

Outside of that I would put: Aulie, Killorn, Poulliot, Lindback, Pyatt, Hall, and honestly Thompson on that list. I know people have different opinions on those guys, but they all at least are giving some effort out there. I dont think we would be better without them (especially the young goalie. He may be struggling now, but we cant give up on the kid. not yet.)
Lee has been beginning to hit again, and get some chip in his game. He may still work out for us as a decent third line defenseman if he gets it all together. and I dont see anyone trading for him anyways haha
As for anyone else, if a good offer comes it, we should take it. Purcell, Brewer, Carle, Malone of course come to mind, but I just dont see us wanting to trade any of them, simply because they still have talent. Purcell could net a good return, I dont think he has a NTC, and he would likely be the sexiest trade piece we have for another team.

I still say talent isnt the issue, its effort. If this team played with even 80% effort every game, we would be winning. unfortunely, they dont get to 80% until we are down two goals...

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why is everyone putting St. Louis on their list? He's 37 years old, not what I call a building block. He won't get traded but he's not a player we are building the future around.

fauxflex

Sep 5, 2009
Thank you for stopping by and providing us with your insight on Carle in his Philly years.

He's actually been on the second pairing with Brewer for most of this year, with Hedman and Salo acting us our shutdown pair with the most minutes. Unfortunately, with Salo out injured, Carle's ice time has increased and his weaknesses are being exposed more than before. His decline in play has correlated to the team's overall lacklustre performances.

Some fans seem to be overly harsh on him because of his price tag and because he's not a physical defenseman, had some struggles keeping the puck in on the PP/late in games and his decision making is occasionally questionable. I would like to see him skate with the puck more and be stronger on the puck, but he definitely has the talent to be a quality second pairing defenseman as you noted.

My suggestion was to also pair him with a more steady defenseman than Brewer, who's been quite off this year and has been out of sorts positionally in our own end. I think Carle needs a very dependable d partner who's also a good outlet passer and is physical to take some pressure off of him. Pronger can make anyone look good, but a lower profile dman like Dennis Seidenberg would really free him up to play his best hockey too.

Yeah, I think we're kind of on the same page regarding Carle. Seidenberg would probably be a good fit for a partner...he has the tools to complement Carle's game...a good puck mover, nice shot, defensive minded and solid in his own end, though not a really a physical force. He did well with guys like Corvo and Kaberle as his partner and now with Dougie Hamilton, so yeah it could work I guess. The problem is it would be probably difficult to pry him out of Boston.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
In 4 years I see something like this. I would like to see Aulie resigned as I think he has a top 4 future. Just hoping Koekkoek can stay healthy.

conacher stamkos connolly
killorn - namestnikov - kucherov
x - Vinny - x
x - x - x

hedman - koekkoek
X (Aulie?) - carle
gudas - barberio

Vasilevskiy
X

TBLbrian

Mar 5, 2008
NC
my take on what i'd hope based on projections and who i like

Connolly - stamkos conacher
Panik - Lecavalier- Kucherov
Brown - Namestnikov - killorn (would be a dirty 3rd line!)
Tyrell - Johnson - Palat

hedman - Aulie
Gudas - carle
Koekkoek - barberio

Vasilevski
Lindback

obviously some of these guys never make it or get traded, but that 3rd line coming together would help this roster right now and have it all

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
my take on what i'd hope based on projections and who i like

Connolly - stamkos conacher
Panik - Lecavalier- Kucherov
Brown - Namestnikov - killorn (would be a dirty 3rd line!)
Tyrell - Johnson - Palat

hedman - Aulie
Gudas - carle
Koekkoek - barberio

Vasilevski
Lindback

obviously some of these guys never make it or get traded, but that 3rd line coming together would help this roster right now and have it all

We're seriously stuck with Carle for 6 years. This is going to be brutal.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I really think we need Vinny as a 3rd line center, he's past his best before date. To think he will suddenly become injury free is not realistic. He needs less minutes at this stage of his career.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I really think we need Vinny as a 3rd line center, he's past his best before date. To think he will suddenly become injury free is not realistic. He needs less minutes at this stage of his career.

$7.7 is a lot for a 3rd line player. Who'll be our 2C.
I don't think he can make the rest of his contract but I don't see him leaving so much money either. I wouldn't want to buy him out cause that's a big cap hit but maybe we can talk him into an early retirement with a job in the organization.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
$7.7 is a lot for a 3rd line player. Who'll be our 2C.
I don't think he can make the rest of his contract but I don't see him leaving so much money either. I wouldn't want to buy him out cause that's a big cap hit but maybe we can talk him into an early retirement with a job in the organization.

Vinny makes 7.7 but he's not worth that anymore. We are stuck with the contract but that doesn't mean he has to be second line center for the next 6 years. Due to his ongoing injury problems he would be ideal with less minutes in a third line role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad