Who are the teams building blocks

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Considering the state of the team management may need to make a significant trade to right the ship. My question is which players would you most like to keep ?
In other words which players are this teams building blocks.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Considering the state of the team management may need to make a significant trade to right the ship. My question is which players would you most like to keep ?
In other words which players are this teams building blocks.

Stamkos, Aulie, VL4, MSL, Hedman and all the rookies/prosp.

Guys who are replaceable but I don't like to go: Pouliot, Pyatt
I would be absolutly okay with trading Malone, Brewer, Purcell and Brewer.. and of course all the 4th liners, 6th/7th D

My dream trade would include Hjalmarsson or Zbynek Michalek to come back.

Well and the best option we can get in my opinion is Dennis Seidenberg, but it would cost us most likely Purcell and the first for Seidenberg and their first or even only the second. But it's really unlikely we get him without ridiculous overpayment :(

kisin

Sep 22, 2009
Czech republic
1.Hedman
2.Stamkos+Marty

Malone, Purcell, Brewer and even Pouliot could be all available for the right price. Provided we're sellers at the deadline, we should try to move Hall, Crombeen and MAB for pick(s). I believe Yzerman will sign Thompson as soon as possible, he's one of the better 4th liners in the league.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Stamkos, Aulie, VL4, MSL, Hedman and all the rookies/prosp.

Guys who are replaceable but I don't like to go: Pouliot, Pyatt
I would be absolutly okay with trading Malone, Brewer, Purcell and Brewer.. and of course all the 4th liners, 6th/7th D

My dream trade would include Hjalmarsson or Zbynek Michalek to come back.

Well and the best option we can get in my opinion is Dennis Seidenberg, but it would cost us most likely Purcell and the first for Seidenberg and their first or even only the second. But it's really unlikely we get him without ridiculous overpayment :(
I would love to have Seidenberg on the team!

And not just because he's German. ;)

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
1.Hedman
2.Stamkos+Marty

Malone, Purcell, Brewer and even Pouliot could be all available for the right price. Provided we're sellers at the deadline, we should try to move Hall, Crombeen and MAB for pick(s). I believe Yzerman will sign Thompson as soon as possible, he's one of the better 4th liners in the league.

I disagree. I never understood all the love for Thompson on here. I mean I like him, but he really isn't that good. He does what is asked of him for sure, but that isn't much.

To answer the question, Stammer, Hedman, Conacher, possibly Aulie. SFY seems to have invested in Lindback as well. Pouliot is a BIG maybe. He is playing very well.

Vinny and Marty aren't what I'd call "building blocks," but are very much needed on this team. Stevie won't trade either of them. I sincerely hope.

If a trade proposal for anyone else comes along, it'd have to be the right deal to make us tougher. We're not giving away players.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Boston will not trade Seidenberg too bad because I love that guy. My list would be Stamkos, MSL, Conacher, Hedman, Killorn. Would love to see us take a run at Corey Perry as long as he signs an extention. Purcell, Connolly for Perry ? Imagine a line of Stamkos, Conacher, and Corey Perry. It would have to be appealing for Perry to play with Stamkos.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
I'm guessing Yzerman, coming from Detroit, has a preference for smart 2way players, while Verbeek likely prefers hard working gritty players. Eventually, the team will be made up of players with these traits me thinks. We don't have a lot of guys who fit that mold at the moment though.

So Thompson.

Last edited:

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Echoing some of the other opinions here, my building blocks are:

1. Stamkos
2. Hedman
3. St.Louis, Lecavalier, Conacher, Killorn and Panik
4. Other prospects: Gudas, Barberio, Koekkoek, Vasilevski, Blujus, Connolly, Brown, Namestnikov, Kucherov etc.

I would also keep Pyatt, Pouliot, Thompson, Salo, Garon, Carle and Aulie. Lindback needs more time to find his groove as a starter since he's still relatively raw and adjusting to the new role/responsibility. With a better defence in front of him, there's no reason as to why he couldn't be an above average starter. Carle's contract makes him hard to move, but I don't mind him as much as others on here as he showed flashes of brilliance at the start of the year. He's better in more of a free role and that requires a more steady defensive partner than Brewer. Carle instantly made our top 4 more mobile and his poise with the puck was excellent to start the year.

As for the rest, they are all expendable to some degree. If Crombeen can exert himself more and start being more aggressive and tough then he has a place in this team. If Malone can play with determination every game and get back to producing 50+ points, then he's a quality big body top 6 forward. I've never been too fond of Teddy, so I would be indifferent if it meant he was sent in a package for a better player in return, especially if it returned us a player like Perry (Purcell and Connolly for Perry?).

Ideally, we want to trade for a pesky forward like Steve Ott, who is adept on the PK, face-offs and is always looking to throw a hit. Basically a more disciplined Downie with less offensive instincts and better defensive acumen.

Line-up:

Conacher-Stamkos-Perry
Pouliot-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Pyatt-Ott-Killorn
Crombeen-Thompson-Panik

Hedman-Salo
Carle-???
Aulie-Gudas

Lindback
Garon

Scratches: Mikkelson, Brown

Kusic

Back-to-back Champs!
Jul 4, 2010
Karlovy Vary
twitter.com
When looking into the near future, I firmly believe that that we will be good young team, but it will need a several exchanges too. We are deep in prospects, it's time to give them a bang. We have a lot of talent in the offense, skilled forwards, but we need a tough defensemans, who can hit, blocked shots and play responsibly in own zone.

It's hard to predict any of possible trades, so I will try to set up our line-up from a few current players and prospects + players, which I would like to add on the roster.

Cory Conacher - Steven Stamkos - Richard Panik
Brett Connolly - Vincent Lecavalier - Martin St. Louis
J.T. Brown - Alexander Killorn - (any veteran)
J.T. Wyman - Nate Thompson - Tom Pyatt
Ondrej Palat

Victor Hedman - Nicklas Hjalmarsson
Radko Gudas - Dion Phaneuf/Dan Girardi
Keith Aulie - Marc Methot/Ladislav Smid
Mark Barberio

Anders Lindbäck
Andrei Vasilevskiy/Jaroslav Janus

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Hedman, Stamkos, Conacher, Vasilevski

We should also keep our prospects, now that we have good ones.

Trade Purcell for a good d-man pls

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In my NHL 13 be a GM I drafted Anthony Mantha, after a year in juniors he won the Calder, the next year the Ross, Hart, Lindsey, Richard and Smyth. Stamkos, Conacher and him were over a PPG players.
So Anthony Mantha is the building block we need.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
In my NHL 13 be a GM I drafted Anthony Mantha, after a year in juniors he won the Calder, the next year the Ross, Hart, Lindsey, Richard and Smyth. Stamkos, Conacher and him were over a PPG players.
So Anthony Mantha is the building block we need.

Do you actually play the games or do you sim? I hate the tediousness of playing the games, so I just sim them 2 weeks at a time :laugh:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
When looking into the near future, I firmly believe that that we will be good young team, but it will need a several exchanges too. We are deep in prospects, it's time to give them a bang. We have a lot of talent in the offense, skilled forwards, but we need a tough defensemans, who can hit, blocked shots and play responsibly in own zone.

It's hard to predict any of possible trades, so I will try to set up our line-up from a few current players and prospects + players, which I would like to add on the roster.

Cory Conacher - Steven Stamkos - Richard Panik
Brett Connolly - Vincent Lecavalier - Martin St. Louis
J.T. Brown - Alexander Killorn - (any veteran)
J.T. Wyman - Nate Thompson - Tom Pyatt
Ondrej Palat

Victor Hedman - Nicklas Hjalmarsson
Radko Gudas - Dion Phaneuf/Dan Girardi
Keith Aulie - Marc Methot/Ladislav Smid
Mark Barberio

Anders Lindbäck
Andrei Vasilevskiy/Jaroslav Janus

Good luck with that

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
If a team embarrasses the city they play for, I wonder if the fans will begin talking about trades.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Do you actually play the games or do you sim? I hate the tediousness of playing the games, so I just sim them 2 weeks at a time :laugh:

I sim. I might play a playoff game or two. I like playing with the AHL team more and makint them dominate. Based on the game we don't have many top end prospects, Kucherov is our only 1st line player and Barberio is around a top pair D. Most of the prospects are bottom 6 or bottom pair and they take a long time just to become that. Hopefully EA is wrong.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I sim. I might play a playoff game or two. I like playing with the AHL team more and makint them dominate. Based on the game we don't have many top end prospects, Kucherov is our only 1st line player and Barberio is around a top pair D. Most of the prospects are bottom 6 or bottom pair and they take a long time just to become that. Hopefully EA is wrong.

Same here. I only actually play if I'm about to get knocked out of the playoffs. I prefer winning the Cup and fleecing the stupid AI for next years top pick in exchange for my 1st rounder in 8 years. I get frustrated that I have to sell off all of our prospects though. None of them ever make my team because they are so bad in the game.

fauxflex

Sep 5, 2009
Carle's contract makes him hard to move, but I don't mind him as much as others on here as he showed flashes of brilliance at the start of the year. He's better in more of a free role and that requires a more steady defensive partner than Brewer. Carle instantly made our top 4 more mobile and his poise with the puck was excellent to start the year.

Hi, Flyer fan here. I noticed not too many people (well nobody beside you) had Carle on their "building block" list. Frankly, I am not surprised. I think for some reason, many overrated Carle's abilities, particularly as a puck mover. Yeah, he can make a pass or two and some basic plays but he seems hesistant in most cases to actually skate with the puck, even when given room, which severely limits his puck moving capability imo. It seems like Carle prefers to be more static with the puck in his own zone, maybe even go behind the net, and sit there looking for someone to pass it to. It's rare that you see Carle skate the puck decisively and confidently out of the zone, like you see from the leagues better puck movers. Carle isn't a bad player but he has some shortcomings that keep him from being a top line guy (unless with the lilkes of say, a Chris Pronger). I said after Pronger went down and Carle was getting top minutes with the Flyers, that if Matt Carle is your top-minute getting D man, you're probably not going to be a very good team. Indeed the team did better (sans Pronger) where Conburn or Timonen got the top minutes. This is not to say that all the team's woes are/were due to Matt Carle, but rather that I think playing him in a top minute role, like he seems to be in with the Bolts, is putting him out of his depth. Carle should probably play about 20 minutes or so, likely in a second pairing, preferably with someone of greater overall skill, as Carle is not the type to "anchor" a defensive pairing.

Carle can play in any situation, but just not really excel in any of them. At 5.5 mil, he's significantly overpaid, but he can be an asset. One has to manage their expectations and put him in a position to succeed by not over burdening him with responsibility (top minutes) and supporting him with a solid two-way D partner. Pronger was perhaps the perfect partner for him. Carle would just make a simple D to D pass to him and Pronger would skate with the puck up the ice and shoot on net or make a slick pass up to a forward, then Pronger would go back and play stalwart D while Carle pinched. But that's history.

So, this opinion was largely formed by watching Carle in Philly for years. I have only seen a few games of him playing for the Bolts and saw a number of the same things. What do you guys think?

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Hi, Flyer fan here. I noticed not too many people (well nobody beside you) had Carle on their "building block" list. Frankly, I am not surprised. I think for some reason, many overrated Carle's abilities, particularly as a puck mover. Yeah, he can make a pass or two and some basic plays but he seems hesistant in most cases to actually skate with the puck, even when given room, which severely limits his puck moving capability imo. It seems like Carle prefers to be more static with the puck in his own zone, maybe even go behind the net, and sit there looking for someone to pass it to. It's rare that you see Carle skate the puck decisively and confidently out of the zone, like you see from the leagues better puck movers. Carle isn't a bad player but he has some shortcomings that keep him from being a top line guy (unless with the lilkes of say, a Chris Pronger). I said after Pronger went down and Carle was getting top minutes with the Flyers, that if Matt Carle is your top-minute getting D man, you're probably not going to be a very good team. Indeed the team did better (sans Pronger) where Conburn or Timonen got the top minutes. This is not to say that all the team's woes are/were due to Matt Carle, but rather that I think playing him in a top minute role, like he seems to be in with the Bolts, is putting him out of his depth. Carle should probably play about 20 minutes or so, likely in a second pairing, preferably with someone of greater overall skill, as Carle is not the type to "anchor" a defensive pairing.

Carle can play in any situation, but just not really excel in any of them. At 5.5 mil, he's significantly overpaid, but he can be an asset. One has to manage their expectations and put him in a position to succeed by not over burdening him with responsibility (top minutes) and supporting him with a solid two-way D partner. Pronger was perhaps the perfect partner for him. Carle would just make a simple D to D pass to him and Pronger would skate with the puck up the ice and shoot on net or make a slick pass up to a forward, then Pronger would go back and play stalwart D while Carle pinched. But that's history.

So, this opinion was largely formed by watching Carle in Philly for years. I have only seen a few games of him playing for the Bolts and saw a number of the same things. What do you guys think?

Thank you for stopping by and providing us with your insight on Carle in his Philly years.

He's actually been on the second pairing with Brewer for most of this year, with Hedman and Salo acting us our shutdown pair with the most minutes. Unfortunately, with Salo out injured, Carle's ice time has increased and his weaknesses are being exposed more than before. His decline in play has correlated to the team's overall lacklustre performances.

Some fans seem to be overly harsh on him because of his price tag and because he's not a physical defenseman, had some struggles keeping the puck in on the PP/late in games and his decision making is occasionally questionable. I would like to see him skate with the puck more and be stronger on the puck, but he definitely has the talent to be a quality second pairing defenseman as you noted.

My suggestion was to also pair him with a more steady defenseman than Brewer, who's been quite off this year and has been out of sorts positionally in our own end. I think Carle needs a very dependable d partner who's also a good outlet passer and is physical to take some pressure off of him. Pronger can make anyone look good, but a lower profile dman like Dennis Seidenberg would really free him up to play his best hockey too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad