Who are the core?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In another discussion Jarmo mentioned protecting the core via good cap management. Raises the question who makes up the core? Waddya think?

My guess:
Certain:

Wennberg
Jones
Werenski
Bob
Panarin

More than likely:
Foligno
Atkinson
Savard

Probably:
PLD
Bjorkstrand

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I try not to think of anyone on the team as the unmovable unpoachable "core", but I do think that this team is largely built around blueline talent and that therefore moving one of Jones or Werenski would require, basically, a replacement team building strategy type player coming back.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I try not to think of anyone on the team as the unmovable unpoachable "core", but I do think that this team is largely built around blueline talent and that therefore moving one of Jones or Werenski would require, basically, a replacement team building strategy type player coming back.

Yeah I agree, I dont think Jarmo views anyone as untouchable but with the way they like to build teams those 2 are about as close as you could get without actually having the label of untouchable

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Doesn't it sort of feel like this is a make it or break year for Wennberg?
Last season he shot the puck more then went back to not in the playoffs. He needs to continue to grow.

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
Last season he shot the puck more then went back to not in the playoffs. He needs to continue to grow.

No. He's made it. Now just going to get better and better.:nod:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Can you post the same thing about Josh Anderson now? LOL

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Did he actually shoot more? What are the stats?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's Werenski and Jones and then a mile down to anyone else.

When I try to game out the long term I also try to keep:

Wennberg
Panarin
Atkinson
Anderson
Savard
Bobrovsky

But like I said it starts with the two D.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It's Werenski and Jones and then a mile down to anyone else.

When I try to game out the long term I also try to keep:

Wennberg
Panarin
Atkinson
Anderson
Savard
Bobrovsky

But like I said it starts with the two D.

Take Bob off your list

Wennberg
Jenner
Atkinson
Panarin
Jones
Werenski
Bjorkstrand

After seeing Montreal , and Price this offseason , I can see why Jarmo made it a priority to protect Korpi, have Elvis , and draft Tarasov, plus the 2 new goalies in Cleveland . No way are we tying up 8-10 mill for a goalie, regardless how well he's playing . Aside from players listed above , u have Pld, Carlson , Abramov, Stenlund . Way too much young talent to keep , especially if u have a high priced goalie . My prediction , Bob is traded before this contract is up.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Take Bob off your list

Wennberg
Jenner
Atkinson
Panarin
Jones
Werenski
Bjorkstrand

After seeing Montreal , and Price this offseason , I can see why Jarmo made it a priority to protect Korpi, have Elvis , and draft Tarasov, plus the 2 new goalies in Cleveland . No way are we tying up 8-10 mill for a goalie, regardless how well he's playing . Aside from players listed above , u have Pld, Carlson , Abramov, Stenlund . Way too much young talent to keep , especially if u have a high priced goalie . My prediction , Bob is traded before this contract is up.

Yeah if he costs too much he goes, but that's true for everyone. Bob was just third in NHL MVP voting and could do it again. Most of those "core" guys can't make that much of a difference. Keep him if you can, like the rest.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Yeah if he costs too much he goes, but that's true for everyone. Bob was just third in NHL MVP voting and could do it again. Most of those "core" guys can't make that much of a difference. Keep him if you can, like the rest.

If he's a Vezina finalist again, I can't see them just letting Bob go. But they will be in cap hell, man.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Let me preface this by saying that my view of our core =/= my view of trade value/availability.

Core:

Wennberg
Panarin
Atkinson
Foligno
Dubinsky
Werenski
Jones
Savard
Bobrovsky

Those are the guys I think the Front Office will do their best to retain and build around over the next several seasons. I would love to include a guy like Jenner in that list but he needs a big rebound season for him to solidify his place in Columbus long-term.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If he's a Vezina finalist again, I can't see them just letting Bob go. But they will be in cap hell, man.

For sure. But when you're in cap hell, you let a couple good players go. Guys like Jenner will be gone, and we'll be relying on ELC contracts to step up and fill gaps on the scoring lines (like the Hawks and Pens did). That might result in a dropoff of 10 or 15 goals, but replacing Bob with an average goalie is letting in an extra 20 or 30 goals per year (30 last year).

What was Bob's save percentage in March? .950? If he does that in the playoffs it will mean more to this team than any forward acquisition possibly could.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
With luck, July 1st 2018 the Jackets will announce long term extensions for three players, Panarin, Bobrovsky, and Werenski, and none of them over $7.5m per.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
What was Bob's save percentage in March? .950? If he does that in the playoffs it will mean more to this team than any forward acquisition possibly could.
Bob had .967 in March. He won't have WCup this year, so maybe his March turns into April. Maybe Korpi will take at least 5 more games. This is Bob coach post on insta in March.
"Bobs saving% of the last 10 games is 96,3. I have been telling that the performance should become better during the season, not dropping down(because of getting tired). At the spring, goalies are getting tired, but you should also be hell lot better technically, physically, mentally etc. When you develop yourself all the time, you are going to be so much better after 6 months that this kind of performances are possible. "
So lets hope they figured out last year "dropping down" in early April.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

If he wants a Henrik or Price type deal then I think he has to go. If he is reasonable about term (no more than 4 years) and money (no more than 9) then I think the team works to keep him. A lot will depend on goalie depth throughout the organization.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
@Maylo: I'm very excited that they've already been at work planning how to turn Bob's March into April.

If he wants a Henrik or Price type deal then I think he has to go. If he is reasonable about term (no more than 4 years) and money (no more than 9) then I think the team works to keep him. A lot will depend on goalie depth throughout the organization.

This was the first year that I felt like Lundqvist didn't play up to his deal, and he is about 37 years old. I think an 8m - 6 year deal with Bob would be great, or maybe even $7m - 8 years. 9m x 4 has the disadvantages of ratcheting up the cap crunch and passing on some potentially elite play. Elite goalies are usually still elite in their mid-30s.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
This season will be the season that determines Bob's long term fate, IMO. Another injury riddled, down season? He gone. Another Vezina caliber season? He gets thrown a Lundqvist deal.

Not to be a contrarian, but he could put up the greatest regular season in league history. But if he falters in the playoffs again he becomes trade bait. This team can lose in the playoffs for a lot less regular season money.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Let me preface this by saying that my view of our core =/= my view of trade value/availability.

Core:

Wennberg
Panarin
Atkinson
Foligno
Dubinsky
Werenski
Jones
Savard
Bobrovsky

Those are the guys I think the Front Office will do their best to retain and build around over the next several seasons. I would love to include a guy like Jenner in that list but he needs a big rebound season for him to solidify his place in Columbus long-term.

Dubinsky is 31. He's not going to be built around "over the next several seasons," younger brother comments be damned. I think if a Duchene-like trade doesn't happen, then they will hope that PLD can push Dubi down to the #3 spot. When Stenlund/Sedlak are ready to take over, they'll buy out Dubi / trade him. Can't see them paying a 34-year old Dubinsky $5.85m/season. I don't think he's a Jacket after 2020 at the latest.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Dubinsky is 31. He's not going to be built around "over the next several seasons," younger brother comments be damned. I think if a Duchene-like trade doesn't happen, then they will hope that PLD can push Dubi down to the #3 spot. When Stenlund/Sedlak are ready to take over, they'll buy out Dubi / trade him. Can't see them paying a 34-year old Dubinsky $5.85m/season. I don't think he's a Jacket after 2020 at the latest.

I think he is a strong candidate for buyout after next season (2018-19) or a trade when his NMC modifies. I totally agree there is little to no chance Dubi is here past the next 2 seasons.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Bobrovsky
Jones
Werenski
Wennberg
Panarin
Foligno
Looks like only you and me think that way. :)

It's amazing how only Hart nominee on this team for 17 years is not the core. So far this team couldn't prove itself without Bob.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad