Who are the best head coaches and GM's in NHL?

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Very early days but Gorton is having a fantastic year

Great offseason and he has completely transformed the team and has reinvigorated some guys like Pirri

Shame about the coach though. AV is a good coach except his flaws are more apparent than his qualities I.e. The stubborn insistence on guys who just aren't good enough or the inexplicable defense decisions

But I think Bowman, Yzerman and Poile are on top with Babock, Boudreau and DeBoer near the top at this moment

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Love me some Stevie Y.

Coach wise, i dont think Barry Trotz ever gets the credit he deserves, so yeah, a vote for Barry.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Big fan of Mike Sullivan. Think he's an excellent coach. Takes all the good qualities of Torts and applies them to a modern day system.

Absolutely agree. Sully is a fantastic coach. Would LOVE to have him back. AV isn't a bad guy but it is apparent that he is losing it. His roster choices so far this year have been baffling/moronic at the very least. With our speed and goaltending, we would be 7-0 under Sullivan. We are 5-2 despite horrific coaching decisions from AV.

I will say this, maybe its a homer vote but Gorton has got to be one of the best GM's. What he accomplished for us this off season, shoring up our PK, getting much younger, much faster, we are a completely different team.

Stevie Y has done a great job in Tampa.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Sure as hell not Stan Bowman and Joel Quenneville.

Agreed. MacLellan/Trotz suck too since the Caps are 3-2-1 this year and lost to Edmonton last night.

Meanwhile you have to consider Bergevin/Therrien, Chiarelli/McLellan and especially Benning/Willie D the best in the league.

Evaluating a coach and especially a GM based on a six-game sample size just makes sense.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I think S. Yzerman is the best GM. The rest are fairly close. They make good moves and some bad ones.

For Coach I think you have to go with Babcock. Coach Q is getting some hate but he's a great coach and his results speak for themselves and should be in the same tier as Babs. Personally think Boudreau and Trotz are right up there as well

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
I think the people saying Bergevin/Therrien forgot :sarcasm:

While Bergevin finally improved his team this offseason he hasn't done so the previous 4 so I guess it evens out. Therrien is a top 5 worst coach in the NHL, terrible strategist and communicator. Hopefully, we got Muller this season to compensate for Therrien's flaws.

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
If we're talking about GM/coach duo, I'd say Yzerman/Cooper, Poile/Laviolette and Nill/Ruff in no particular order

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Absolutely agree. Sully is a fantastic coach. Would LOVE to have him back. AV isn't a bad guy but it is apparent that he is losing it. His roster choices so far this year have been baffling/moronic at the very least. With our speed and goaltending, we would be 7-0 under Sullivan. We are 5-2 despite horrific coaching decisions from AV.

I'd like to know what Boston fans think.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
some elite head coach and GM tandems:

Bowman and Quenville

Yzerman and Cooper

Lamerilo (shannahan) and Babcock, shannhan is obviously not a GM, but at the end he's the guy calling the shots.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Yzerman probably takes the cake in terms of PERFECT decion making. He's made several hard decisions in his career, hardball with stamkos, hardball with drouin, Marty St. Louis fiasco etc. The amount of talent and hidden gems that Yzerman has found is unbelievable.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Montreal duo #1

Amazing pulling that weber for subban trade.

The best defensemen versus an offensive defensemen that's probably in 20-30 range

Tampa #2

Stevie y has done a good.job.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
GM - I really like Treliving. Very solid signings for our players, good trading record overall.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Big fan of Mike Sullivan. Think he's an excellent coach. Takes all the good qualities of Torts and applies them to a modern day system.

I will say this, maybe its a homer vote but Gorton has got to be one of the best GM's. What he accomplished for us this off season, shoring up our PK, getting much younger, much faster, we are a completely different team.

Stevie Y has done a great job in Tampa.

Nice to hear Sullivan get praise from fans of rival teams.

Gorton made some astute moves, and they're paying off. I trust him as GM going forward.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Surprised no one mentioned john chayka and Dave Tippett. Obviously chayka it's young and it's his first year but he's made real good moves. And Tippetts just a real good coach.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I think Tippett is good, not the best, but good. Tim Murray (Sabres) is definitely a very good GM.

In my opinion the best in the league right now, or at least one of the best, could be very well Jim Nill. It's absolutely incredible what amount of great players he's brought to Dalls. Spezza, Sharp, Oduya, Hamhuis, Seguin, Hemsky, Niemi...and some drafting...the Dallas is the best team in the NHL in my opinion - when you factor in the young talent they have in the system, the current players, the coach, and the GM. They are a legit contender now. If you said that 4 years ago, nobody would believe you that the Stars would be that good and that prosmigin in 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad