Who are the best and worst GM's in the NHL

Turk

Sep 13, 2006
Ontario
But.........a year ago Don Sweeney was the worst GM ever. :huh:

Perhaps having a Harvard degree is more meaningful than owning a keyboard.

Reactions: dukeofjive

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
Roman Josi is getting paid $4M for 7 years.

... That should be all the explanation you need.

He was signed to that 7 year deal in 2013 correct? Where had a staggering 18 points. (He had 16 the year before)

At the time, I guarantee you fans thought that was an over payment. Now? It’s obviously a steal.

Poile is overrated.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I remember a time when Cheveldayoff was called "Days off" around here cause he never did anything while his team floundered
and Jets fans wanted Maurice fired last year as well...

now all of the sudden Maurice remembered how to coach and Cheveldayoff is a genius lol

and Chia's resume is garbage? may want to look at his record as an NHL GM...

Every GM gets some sort of flack.

Chevy got flack because he didn't do things fast enough for some people.
He laid out his plan from the beginning. Build through the draft. He then proceeded to do that but some morons wanted their cake faster. That's not on Chevy, that's on impatient fans. Here's what Chevy hasn't done:

1) Trade away prime youth assets
2) Sign UFA's to laughable contracts

Chevy >>>>>>>>>> Chia AINEC.

Just because some fans are impatient, doesn't make him bad. In Chias case, there's specific cases you can point to and say "This guy blows!"

As for Maurice, if the Jets didn't perform this year, he would have been gone. If he the coaching equivalent of what Chia has done, he wouldn't have made it half way through the season.

Chia has a great resume built off of other peoples moves. He inherited a good Bruins team that had a godly Tim Thomas strike at the right time.
He threw a dumb truck worth of money at Chara who was a good signing but he didn't exactly finess him lol.
He lucked out in the Kessel trade. If Toronto didn't crap the bed for 2 year he would have mid 1st round picks to show for a superstar.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then he traded Seguin and Boychuck for what?

Now he has the greatest player in the league and has REMOVED more talent than he's added and it's dragging the team down.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
All I could think when the Devils got Hall was "my God, they just stole a franchise player" so there's no hindsight here.

Everyone knew that trade was garbage from the second it happened.

The only talking point was "it was a position of need"....well how hard is it to say "I need a quarter, will you accept this dollar?"

Reactions: sabremike

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Every GM gets some sort of flack.

Chevy got flack because he didn't do things fast enough for some people.
He laid out his plan from the beginning. Build through the draft. He then proceeded to do that but some morons wanted their cake faster. That's not on Chevy, that's on impatient fans. Here's what Chevy hasn't done:

1) Trade away prime youth assets
2) Sign UFA's to laughable contracts

Chevy >>>>>>>>>> Chia AINEC.

Just because some fans are impatient, doesn't make him bad. In Chias case, there's specific cases you can point to and say "This guy blows!"
I'm not comparing Chevy to Chia. I'm saying its funny how much fans on the site go from 1 extreme to the other
as early as last September people were laughing at the Jets:
lol the Jets really are a terrible organization.

Maurice is one of the worst coaches in the NHL, was in Toronto, still hasn't changed. They are going nowhere with him.

For as much as Jets fans like to brag about how rich their ownership is, you'd think they'd actually invest in a decent coach or a decent GM.​
What has it been....17 years and counting with 0 playoff wins? And they get extensions???

Crazy
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/jets-extend-gm-kevin-cheveldayoff-hc-paul-maurice.2385303/

now Chevy is genius a 9 months later cause Hellybuck decided to make some saves this year

so I'll take the opinions for HF posters with a massive grain of salt

As for Maurice, if the Jets didn't perform this year, he would have been gone. If he the coaching equivalent of what Chia has done, he wouldn't have made it half way through the season.

Chia has a great resume built off of other peoples moves. He inherited a good Bruins team that had a godly Tim Thomas strike at the right time.
he inherited a Bruins team that was garbage and literally brought in every defenseman on their Cup-winning roster
and other than Poile, wouldn't every GM be in the same situation? Stevie Y inherited Stamkos and Hedman...heck, Chevy inherited Wheeler and Byfuglien

He threw a dumb truck worth of money at Chara who was a good signing but he didn't exactly finess him lol.
He lucked out in the Kessel trade. If Toronto didn't crap the bed for 2 year he would have mid 1st round picks to show for a superstar.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then he traded Seguin and Boychuck for what?
he traded Seguin for Loui Eriksson (scored 30 for them ) and some guy named Reilly Smith....
and traded and Boychuk to make room for Torey Krug...a FA he signed
all Boychuk's done is become overpaid and slow down....
Now he has the greatest player in the league and has REMOVED more talent than he's added and it's dragging the team down.
so Eberle was the reason we had the worst Special teams in the league and worst save %? cause he's the only one gone from the "core" that had 103 points last year..

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
please give evidence they were ever "trending up"
they finished 2nd last in 2015-16 for crying out loud :laugh:

The second they drafted McDavid they were trending up big time. I really don't see how you don't get that?

Also you list more bad trades than good ones, so why are you defending him so much.

Bad GM's trade superstars for needs. Bad GM's trade Hart candidates for depth players. That is just horrible, any way you cut it.

But yes, I already know your reply, sure this year it looks bad, but maybe next year...... ok. whatever. 99.9% of people get he is a terrible GM, I guess you will be arguing for him until he gets fired, hopefully sooner rather than later.

ps. He added winger depth, you can't be serious? we have the worst wingers in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The second they drafted McDavid they were trending up big time. I really don't see how you don't get that?

Also you list more bad trades than good ones, so why are you defending him so much.

Bad GM's trade superstars for needs. Bad GM's trade Hart candidates for depth players. That is just horrible, any way you cut it.

But yes, I already know your reply, sure this year it looks bad, but maybe next year...... ok. whatever. 99.9% of people get he is a terrible GM, I guess you will be arguing for him until he gets fired, hopefully sooner rather than later.
no they weren't
they sucked before his injury (5-8)
they sucked during his injury (14-18-5)
they sucked after he got back from injury with a healthy Hall, Drai, McDavid and Eberle (12-17-3)
on their way to a 29th place finish

again, provide a shred of actual evidence the Oilers won some hockey games where fans could get excited for the future

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He was signed to that 7 year deal in 2013 correct? Where had a staggering 18 points. (He had 16 the year before)

At the time, I guarantee you fans thought that was an over payment.

giphy.gif

That deal was seen as a steal then, and is likely the best contact in the league now. (ELCs excluded)

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I really don't think you realize just what a raging dumpster fire the Devils were when he took the job. To make them a good competitive team that quick really was remarkable on his part.

I'm not disputing the fact that he's done a solid job with them, but lets see that parlayed into success. Making the playoffs was step one, lets see where they go from here.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
no they weren't
they sucked before his injury (5-8)
they sucked during his injury (14-18-5)
they sucked after he got back from injury with a healthy Hall, Drai, McDavid and Eberle (12-17-3)
on their way to a 29th place finish

again, provide a shred of actual evidence the Oilers won some hockey games where fans could get excited for the future

I just can't even.... do you actually think they weren't going to get better with McDavid. the best player in the world wasn't going to make your team better? I will actually say this, and this is strong, your completly nuts. That is the most insane thing I have ever heard on these boards. Can you honestly say with a straight face the oilers weren't getting better with McD, that is was all Chia adding a goalie and adding Defence (even though he got bent over to do it) that made the oilers better last year? that even with McD last year we were going to finish bottom 5 if not for the moves Chia made. If you can say that, to me you honestly lose all credibility.

Sure, when he first joined the team, small sample size, their record wasn't great. They were trending up, like that is almost a fact, you don't add a McDavid and not get better? Chia had nothing to do with that, NOTHING!

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I'm not comparing Chevy to Chia. I'm saying its funny how much fans on the site go from 1 extreme to the other
as early as last September people were laughing at the Jets:
You can find a fan of any team saying any sorts on nonsense on this site. Heck there's a vocal minority that was saying trade Matthews after the Leafs were eliminated. There's all sorts of lunacy on this site. That doesn't make them right and it doesn't make them the majority.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/jets-extend-gm-kevin-cheveldayoff-hc-paul-maurice.2385303/

now Chevy is genius a 9 months later cause Hellybuck decided to make some saves this year
so I'll take the opinions for HF posters with a massive grain of salt
[/quote
No, Chevy is getting praise because he had a plan that he stuck to that paid off.

He's made careful, calculated moves that resulted in us doing what we've done.

He didn't panic and decide that he absolutely has to throw a monster contract at a guy like Lucic.

he inherited a Bruins team that was garbage and literally brought in every defenseman on their Cup-winning roster
and other than Poile, wouldn't every GM be in the same situation? Stevie Y inherited Stamkos and Hedman...heck, Chevy inherited Wheeler and Byfuglien
GARBAGE....with a 90+ point Marc Savard and a 70+ point Bergeron
Chevy inherited Wheeler and Buff and about 2 other guys that you could call legit NHLers. Our prospect pool and our roster were both hot garbage. A vast majority of the team today is all Chevy. Again, patience and good drafting. 2 things Chiarelli knows nothing about.

he traded Seguin for Loui Eriksson (scored 30 for them ) and some guy named Reilly Smith....
and traded and Boychuk to make room for Torey Krug...a FA he signed
all Boychuk's done is become overpaid and slow down....

And everyone laughed at these trades. Dallas still has Seguin and Boston has NOTHING left from that trade. It was garbage to begin with and it got worse.

so Eberle was the reason we had the worst Special teams in the league and worst save %? cause he's the only one gone from the "core" that had 103 points last year..

No but he is something that you guys are looking for now since you can't play Drai on McJesus's wing all the time. If you guys didn't win the draft that year, Chiarelli would already be gone.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’ll make a case for Nill (both ways)

Best:
  • Seguin, Peverly for R. Smith, Erikkson, J. Morrow
  • Spezza for 2nd, Scraps
  • Sharp, Johns for Daley, Garbutt
  • Radulov (6.250/5)
  • Drafting Heiskanen
  • Cole for Janmark
  • Bishop (4.900/6)
  • Klingberg re-signing (4.250/7)
  • Traded Eaves as a rental for a 1st
Worst
  • Gurianov over Barzal
  • Poor drafting in general
  • Spezza re-signing (7.500/4)
  • Niemi signing (4.500/3)
  • Hanzal signing (4.750/3)
  • Gonchar signing (5.000/2)
  • Hitchcock hiring (highly debatable it was his choice)
Overall I like Nill because he swings for the fences, but sometimes he’ll wiff big time. I put him around ten, because he brought in serious talent to the team without giving up much.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

At the time, I guarantee you fans thought that was an over payment. Now? It’s obviously a steal.

Poile is overrated.

He was signed to that after scoring 18 points in the lockout shortened season, so a 31 point pace, while playing over 23 minutes a game and showing the potential that he's since realized. It was the same type of deal many recent defensemen have signed (Slavin, Pesce, Klefbom, McDonagh, Rielly, etc), where the team locks up a player for a little more than they've already earned in exchange for long term security, while banking on them improving and being a steal. I think more people on here had it as a good deal

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chiarelli, Bergevin, and Snow are the worst GMs, best I'd say are Yzerman, Shero, and Poile.

Chiarelli is probably the worst, he's able to have success if everything is gift wrapped to him and only has to fill in some role players, but past that he has nothing in his playbook other than "overpay". He will overpay every single time for any type of need, and that includes contract negotiations.

Oilers are paying a KHL goalie with zero NHL track record 2.5 million just find out if he can be a NHL back up... good luck getting Darnell Nurse to agree to a $3 mill "bridge", he's gonna ask for 4 per just for a bridge.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I disagree. Neither have won a cup and their teams have only played in the finals once.

Nashville has to be considered overrated as they came out of nowhere last year and got bounced in the second round this year. As far as the contracts go, Johansson got paid significantly more than he’s worth. Subban for Weber? Come on... that’s not a bold / big move, that’s the Canadiens being absolutely retar***. I really think Nashville’s offense is beyond overrated.

Tampa has under achieved for what.. 4 years? Yzerman brought in Mcdonaugh but he was a bust. Drouin for Sergachev? Again, that’s just Montreal being Montreal.

Neither of them deserve to be top 3. Top 10 for sure but they made what are considered nice moves but they never paid off?

Who’s your pick then? But before you pick and justify:

- any GM that hasn’t won a cup in the last 10yrs that wasn’t the GM of the team during acquisition of all core players in said cup win cannot be chosen
- when giving accolades, no accolade for a great trade can be given because it was actually just some other team making a bad move
- no good UFA signing can be credited because it was just a team making a bad move by letting them go to UFA and any GM would have signed them
- no good late draft picks can be credited because it’s the scouts who do the drafting and any GM would have hired <good scout>
- all bad signings that happened during said GMs tenure must be brought up I. The analysis and fully negated against the credit of the GM
- all home run draft picks that were on he board at the time that the team drafted and missed during the GMs tenure must be listed as a fault to said GM
- all good players that left team to UFA that turned out to be good signings elsewhere must be listed as a fault to the GM during his tenure
- all trades for picks that didn’t turn out must be listed and cited as trades for those busted players to fully highlight how awful the chosen GM is

Ok, given those criteria, let’s hear your pick for best GM.

Reactions: Soundgarden

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
All I could think when the Devils got Hall was "my God, they just stole a franchise player" so there's no hindsight here.
Same here. Larsson does not have the talent to equal an elite forward like Hall who is in his prime. And Larsson got WAY too much credit for the Oilers improved play in that first season.
I laugh when I still here this trade referred to whenever a trade for a top 4 D is discussed "Larsson Brought Back Hall So..." LOL. As if every GM will do that because Chia did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad