Who are the 8 Eastern Conference playoff teams? 2019-2020

Top 8 teams? (pick 8)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Really surprised that Philly gets that many votes.

The Atlantic is stacked at the top with Tampa/Boston/Toronto/Florida.

Metro is wide open after Washington. My guess would go to Pittsburgh/Carolina.

For the 2nd wildcard, I think it will be a battle between Montreal/Philadelphia/NY Islanders. I expect Colombus to regress a bit and that New Jersey will have trouble with too many new players on the roster. 0 votes to Colombus and 2 for the Rangers is harsh, though.

Could be wrong, though. Even a top team like Toronto is an injury to Andersen away from missing the playoffs.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

For the 2nd wildcard, I think it will be a battle between Montreal/Philadelphia/NY Islanders. I expect Colombus to regress a bit and that New Jersey will have trouble with too many new players on the roster. 0 votes to Colombus and 2 for the Rangers is harsh, though.

Could be wrong, though. Even a top team like Toronto is an injury to Andersen away from missing the playoffs.

It's an even year. They will make it. And then lose in the first round 4 games to 2.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Amazing there are 7 choices over 75%, and the 8th is still over 50%. The choices for playoff teams are remarkably consistent.

Reactions: Treebeard

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
you guys are underrating the islanders

Agreed, no respect.

Current Rankings:

1. Tampa
2. Washington
3. Boston
4. Toronto
5. Carolina
6. Pittsburgh
7. Florida
8. Philly

Jersey sitting in 9th

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Agreed, no respect.

Current Rankings:

1. Tampa
2. Washington
3. Boston
4. Toronto
5. Carolina
6. Pittsburgh
7. Florida
8. Philly

Jersey sitting in 9th
how do you have Philly over the Isles? they swept the team in your rankings lmaoo. philly will always be a middle of the pack team, some years they make it, others they don’t

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
You could be right, you could be wrong. It could be you that is overrating them.

Itll take until april to find out.
you can say that about the teams who didn’t make the playoffs that you all are voting for. the isles finished second in the Metro, not some fluke entrance on the last day of the season

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia

for me, Philly rests on Hart's shoulders. I've spent enough years watching him frustrate my Thunderbirds to know he's the real deal.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Still think the Isles beat out the Flyers for the playoffs but I understand why people vote flyers with Hart and acquiring some D in the offseason

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
how do you have Philly over the Isles? they swept the team in your rankings lmaoo. philly will always be a middle of the pack team, some years they make it, others they don’t

Only for the last 6-7 years. Before that they were rarely middle-of-the pack. And they just spent $50 million dollars on an unspectacular center, hired some weird three-headed coaching monster, and traded some picks for some old guys. Carter Hart got a gnarly Carnage mask. I think it's safe to say the organization is back to its old self and ready to cruise through a regular season and lose in the second round.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Only for the last 6-7 years. Before that they were rarely middle-of-the pack. And they just spent $50 million dollars on an unspectacular center, hired some weird three-headed coaching monster, and traded some picks for some old guys. Carter Hart got a gnarly Carnage mask. I think it's safe to say the organization is back to its old self and ready to cruise through a regular season and lose in the second round.
well the players that have been present for the last 6-7 years are still there (to some degree). management was always an issue for the flyers. they could never get consistency scoring-wise and great goaltending and now they’re trying to compensate for that by getting some veterans. the jury is still out on C. Hart.

it’s been back to its old self

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

You do realize that I am OP and I was posting the current results of the poll, and not my vote...correct?

Do you really think I would have Philly in over NYI?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
well the players that have been present for the last 6-7 years are still there (to some degree). management was always an issue for the flyers. they could never get consistency scoring-wise and great goaltending. the jury is still out on C. Hart:

it’s been back to its old self

Both of these statements are more-or-less wrong. For one, their team GAA was actually league average or a hair lower over the last 5 years until this most recent season, where everyone got hurt and they set a record for goalies used. That was an injury issue, no team is going to withstand the top 3 goalies on its depth chart going down long-term.

And there are only 3 players who are still on the team from 2015. Only 8 players who were on the team in 2016-17. Two of them are fourth-liners (Raffl, Laughton). The other six are Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, Konecny, Provorov, and Gostisbehere.

The problems were coaching and depth. The guys listed above are pretty much gonna score and do their thing no matter what, that's some pretty solid top-end talent. Hextall surrounded them with bargain-bin crap. The bottom six and half the defense were a nightmare. Over the last two years--and over the last 8 months, especially--they've torn out all the garbage and replaced it with actual NHL depth.

OUT:
Simmonds, Filppula, Lehtera, Weise, MacDonald, Manning, Weal, Gudas, Neuvirth (Hakstol)

IN:
JVR, Hayes, Patrick, Lindblom, Niskanen, Sanheim, Braun, Myers, Hart (Vigneault)

None of those were big, splashy moves, and the splashiest one was also the most questionable (Hayes). But that's a really drastic increase in overall roster quality, paired with the hiring of a very good coach. There's questions marks, but probably less than there are for many teams in the Metro. I think some folks are underestimating how dramatically different and improved that team is, though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad