Who are some players who don’t get enough credit for their strong defensive play?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
According to some over zealous posters Crosby fits this though it may have been the same genius who puts Ovechkin at the same or a higher level then Gretzky and Lemiuex.

I've seen guys like Tavares and Getzlaf be accused of this by less experienced fans.

Reactions: olli

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Alex Kovalev was quite capable defensively and Oleg Petrov was subtly capable of changing things in his own end.
David Rundblad was incredible.
In today's game, Tomas Plekanec is really underappreciated.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think people like to bash Monahan but he has really come into his own, defensively, same as Dougie Hamilton.

For the rest of the league, I think someone like Logan Couture. When we play the sharks, he's their best goal scoring threat but also one of their best all around players. I find he's generally just forgotten when talking about great players.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
He is a defensive defensemen, so maybe not appropriate for this thread, but Ian Cole is a secret hero of the 16 and 17 Stanley Cup playoffs. Especially the 17 version where he had to play crucial minutes. I trusted no one more to get the job done when the puck was in our zone. I love his shotblocking, I love his ability to consistently crowd out forwards on 50-50 pucks in our zone, and his toughness throughout a grueling playoff run.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Michael Raffl is one of the better defensive wingers in the NHL... but rarely gets talked about. Probably as even though he is also a great PKer objectively Hakstol hardly uses him.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I know this is turning into a name your own teams player thread but I have to mention Kevin Hayes, he played like a Selke caliber player after the deadline. Let’s hope it continues

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Joe thornton is good defensively even though people never think so because he always leads the league in turn overs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad