Who are some of your favorite players for the 2024 NHL Draft?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
This is a counter to the least favorite thread. Who are some of the players that you believe have exciting attributes or players you like more than others?

I'll start by saying I like Tij Iginla a lot more than most. He is my 4th ranked forward in this years draft class.

Yegor Surin is another player I think could be a top 9 forward/center at the NHL level that doesn't get enough credit.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
I think Surin has a case to be a decent middle-six forward if he can control his temper on the ice.

I like John Mustard a lot as of recent. EJ Emery, Lukas Fischer, Topias Hynninen, Eriks Mateiko, Tomas Mrsic & Heikki Ruohonen I think I'm higher on than most.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Yakemchuk
Brandsegg-Nygard
Chernyshov
Solberg
Surin
I saw you posted you disliked Greentree in the other thread. It's an interesting debate between Greentree and Chernyshov. Both players are big and strong.

Chernyshov brings explosive skating and a great top speed (something Greentree lacks a lot). Greentree brings more skill and much higher hockey IQ (Chernyshovs questions are more in that area of the game). Both these guys will be interesting to look back on

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I saw you posted you disliked Greentree in the other thread. It's an interesting debate between Greentree and Chernyshov. Both players are big and strong.

Chernyshov brings explosive skating and a great top speed (something Greentree lacks a lot). Greentree brings more skill and much higher hockey IQ (Chernyshovs questions are more in that area of the game). Both these guys will be interesting to look back on
I like Chernyshov’s skating and edge. Greentree is slower and softer.

Reactions: Castle8130

Kevzzz

Nov 21, 2023
Sam Dickinson (Top 5)
B. Catton (Top 5)
S.Boisvert (15-20)
Skahan (Mid 2 round)

rt

May 13, 2004
Well I’m inclined to agree but worried that I’m not seeing the full picture. I’d hate to think he’s Cody Franson.
He reminds me of Corey Perry but a defenseman. Or maybe a 3rd Tkachuk brother but this one wanted to be different and be a defenseman. Haha.

I guess maybe Dion Phaneuf to some extent. But I think he’s less of a killer and more of a rat.

Kevzzz

Nov 21, 2023
He reminds me of Corey Perry but a defenseman. Or maybe a 3rd Tkachuk brother but this one wanted to be different and be a defenseman. Haha.

I guess maybe Dion Phaneuf to some extent. But I think he’s less of a killer and more of a rat.T

Curious to know wich defensement would you take before taking Yakemchuk ?

Infant of Spain

Tackling for Macklin
Jul 20, 2022
1. Carter Yakemchuk
2. Berkly Catton
3. Dominik Badinka
4. Konsta Helenius
5. Lucas Pettersson
6. Cole Davis

dr1234

Sep 1, 2022
Holes in their game not withstanding Yakemchuk, Parekh, Lindstrom, and Levshunov are just so exciting to watch and are favourites for me regardless of if they eventually succeed or bust.

Guys I love that I see ranked in the rounds 2/3 range that I think may sneak higher are Julius Miettinen and Lukas Fischer.

Players I’m rooting for that may turn out to be nothing at all: Hiroki Gojsic, Marcus Kearsay, Alexandre Blais, Aatos Koivu, Miroslav Satan, William Zellers, Colton Roberts, Spencer Gill.

Reactions: Blueston

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Macklin Celebrini because I've never seen a forward want to be a defenseman more than him

Anton Silayev because he's built a basketball player

Nikita Artamonov because I think he has the potential to be an elite playmaker

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Americans:

Bednarik-Terribly underrated. The clear third best NTDP forward this year. His scoring is pretty good historically, and he's also a two-way beast. Not small either. Drives play positively. No hole in his game.

Van Vliet-He shows flashes of very intriguing ability. Has size, skill, speed, shot, and puck handling. Also can play center. There's good potential there.

Swanson-I'm with anyone that he won't stick at center and probably can't be picked in the first round due to his height, but his passing/sense is insane. Historically good scoring in the USHL, and has been breaking records internationally for USAH. Surely better than the 3rd/4th round, at best, people peg him as.

Skahan-The best defensive player at the NTDP. He's a physical beast, good skater, and makes almost no defensive mistakes. He has minimal offense, but don't mistake that for he can't move pucks. He's not an offensive guy. He'll be a DFD in the NHL and a good one.

Lapointe-He gets no discussion, but I like him as much or better than some of the other American defenseman in this draft. He's a safe, low-event player who is capable in all zones. He's very steady. Reminds me of Thrun.

Park-He gets an unfair reputation because he was a former contemporary of Celebrini and Eiserman. He probably wasn't as good then too, and some have used that to put him down. He'll be a good two-way center in the NHL. Could be 2C, most likely a middle 6C, and has the game for 4C, if not.

Others:

Catton-Not up to fight anyone on this, but he should go 1OA. He's probably the most talented player in this draft. He's having a great draft season also. Very dynamic offensive talent, has the skating, and plays defense.

Demidov-The biggest offensive talent in this draft. His puck handling skills are amazing, and he has so much offensive potential. I see him being instant offense in the NHL. He's underrated due to injuries and being Russian.

Levshunov-I think he's probably the best defenseman in this draft. Freak athlete. Has a lot of offense. His defense needs some work and he makes some mistakes, but it's far from bad.

Mews-He's so underrated. I don't see why he's dropped so much on lists. Very smart, has significant offense. His defense and skating is okay. It's not bad.

Marques-Quiet yet effective. Lacks the flashy skating or puck-handling, but I think he'll end up a good middle six NHL'er.

Smith-Good skating defenseman with size and offensive potential. Having a good season. He'll be picked second or third round, but could end up top 4.

Jiricek-He's not that much worse than David. Different though. Better skater and defensive player at the same age. He's not as aggressive with his puck-handling and doesn't have the same shot, but he'll be one of the best defenseman from this draft.

Kiviharju-He's started to get very underrated because the expectations are unrealistic. He's better than all the OFD in this draft like Parekh and Hutson.

Freij-I've seen this story so many times before with Swedish defensemen. He'll be a low-event 4 or 5 in the NHL, and some team will pick this guy in the second round with little fanfare and love the pick in hindsight.

Poirier-He's a little small, but I like the rest. Very talented winger. His brother is also much taller, and he doesn't turn 18 until September, so he could grow later. If he ends up like 5'11, a team could get a steal in the third round.

rt

May 13, 2004
Curious to know wich defensement would you take before taking Yakemchuk ?
I’ve only got Silayev and Levshunov ahead. But that’s mostly on reputation. I watched all of Silayevs playoff games last year but haven’t seen him this year. I wouldn’t put him ahead but for the MacKenzie poll and other folks getting me pumped up.

I watch a lot of CHL, a decent amount of MHL, some USHL and some D1. I don’t watch European league play.

I’m also not a scout. Just a fan.

Reactions: Kevzzz and Blueston

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Silayev and Buium. Both scream top pair D to me.

When you watch Silayev, he’s super energetic and engaged. Far from just a tall dude who can skate.

Buium is so smart and smooth. He’s always a step ahead mentally

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad