Who’s the 2023-2024 Unsung Hero?

Unsung Hero Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I feel like this is will be an interesting discussion.

My personal top two I debated between:

1. Pius Suter
Has been very good as the “7th forward”. The early season fourth line with Hoglander and Lafferty was fantastic. In the second half, the unit with him Brock, and Miller has helped keep the team above water when other lines have been awful or injury plagued.

2. Tyler Myers
Again, I do not want this player back unless it’s a one year deal in a bottom pairing role at a very low salary. So it’s not happening. But this is undoubtedly one of his two good years here, and he’s needed to be a positive contributor with Soucy’s injuries and Cole looking old and more suited as a 6-7 after the first 20 games. He’s given them 19 minutes a game on a team that’s been one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Guys like Joshua, Hoglander, DeSmith etc all seem more “sung” to me. Myers still gets a lot of shit and people still don’t see Suter as a substantial improvement on PDG (he is). So that’s why they’re my top two.

Both guys have been relatively healthy too.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
VanJack gets my vote for the board.

On the team side I’ll take Nils Hoglander.
Hoglander gets plenty of songs.

To me its a tie between Garland and Joshua. Both have been the two key pieces what makes the best 5on5 line for us all year. The only line that can control play away from Quinn Hughes.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
images

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I feel like Joshua, Garland and Hoglander have gotten plenty of praise. In comparison to the big guns not so much, but there's definitely guys on the roster who are less "Sung" than those three.

I voted for Joshua in the team awards.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I feel like Joshua, Garland and Hoglander have gotten plenty of praise. In comparison to the big guns not so much, but there's definitely guys on the roster who are less "Sung" than those three.

I voted for Joshua in the team awards.
Me too.

I feel conflicted about him winning it back to back.

Why cant we sing his praises already?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's probably Joshua but it feels weird to have a guy win it back-to-back.

Garland's journey from demanding a trade and doing nothing for the first 20 games to being one of our most important, consistent forwards would probably get him my vote.

It's weird going from the Benning years of 'nobody deserves this' - Markus Granlund astonishingly won this award once - to having like 10 guys who would be well-deserving selections.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It's probably Joshua but it feels weird to have a guy win it back-to-back.

Garland's journey from demanding a trade and doing nothing for the first 20 games to being one of our most important, consistent forwards would probably get him my vote.

It's weird going from the Benning years of 'nobody deserves this' - Markus Granlund astonishingly won this award once - to having like 10 guys who would be well-deserving selections.
This is such a bad take.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'd say Joshua, but he's really not all that "unsung" these days. Probably Garland.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
I think we sing everyone this year. It's a good year. I'll go with Desmith. Been a solid back up and has allowed Demko to take an extended recovery before the playoffs

Reactions: ChilliBilly

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is such a bad take.

He had 5 points in the first 20 games, 2 goals in the first 33 games, was down around 10 minutes for a bunch of games, failed to click with Pettersson when given an opportunity, didn't work with Miller, didn't work on the PP, was demoted to bottom-6 minutes and then the line with Garland and Blueger took off in December.

The energy/battle/compete he's showed for the last 4 months didn't exist for the first 20 games of the season. He looked lost and it was probably his worst stretch of games as a Canuck. Everyone here was expecting him to be traded and wanting him to be traded.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Garland got my vote.

He want from negative value to a pivotal part of the team and arguably forming the best third line in the league. It cannot be understated just how phenomenal his takeaway and board play is. Even against some of the league's elites, he manages to somehow eek the puck out from them. A lot of which doesn't get the praise it deserves since it's not the "sexy" play.

All in all, he's been absolutely fantastic and the very small bright spot in an otherwise horrendous trade.

Reactions: vanuck

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Most of those are sung heroes. I'd say Blueger or Juulsen. Garland gets the credit he deserves for sure. Juulsen being so solid made Soucys injury a lot less devastating.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t think Garland was bad the first twenty but I do think him finally clicking with one of our centers is interesting. Never passed the eye test with any of Horvat, Miller, Pettersson up until this recent stretch

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He had 5 points in the first 20 games, 2 goals in the first 33 games, was down around 10 minutes for a bunch of games, failed to click with Pettersson when given an opportunity, didn't work with Miller, didn't work on the PP, was demoted to bottom-6 minutes and then the line with Garland and Blueger took off in December.

The energy/battle/compete he's showed for the last 4 months didn't exist for the first 20 games of the season. He looked lost and it was probably his worst stretch of games as a Canuck. Everyone here was expecting him to be traded and wanting him to be traded.
He was out scoring his opposition 10-3 during that stretch.

His line has consistently been the best 5on5 line we have.

He is the only player who out chances the opposition with out Quinn Hughes:

1712080798904.png

JT gets caved in:

1712080852119.png

So does Joshua:

1712080901214.png

And EP40:

1712080938241.png

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'd tip my hat to Garland this season. The results have been hit or miss but he's hustled out there and had a good year after the last two. HM to Joshua and Soucy and Suter as well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He was out scoring his opposition 10-3 during that stretch.

His line has consistently been the best 5on5 line we have.

He is the only player who out chances the opposition with out Quinn Hughes:

View attachment 845056

JT gets caved in:

View attachment 845057

So does Joshua:

View attachment 845058

And EP40:

View attachment 845059

Everyone had positive goal differentials in the first 20-30 games of the season. Anthony Beauvillier had an 11-3 ES goal differential but that doesn't mean he was playing great.

Those with/without graphs are mostly useless because they aren't comparing apples to apples and you get results like 'everyone has better numbers with Goldobin!'.

And also those numbers are from the whole season, and nobody is disputing that his last 50 games have been terrific.

Garland is a small skill player who was generating nothing offensively in October-November and provides no intangibles to compensate for a lack of production. The battle level and puck tenacity we've seen since December (and have seen at other points during his time here) wasn't there to start the season. The difference once that line started clicking was night-and-day.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Garland for me. Joshua gets plenty of love, Hog is def a fan fave. Garland in my opinion deserves more love from this fanbase, I think he would if he wasn’t associated with that brutal OEL trade. His ability to create offense at 5v5 is under appreciated.

I don’t think I’ve seen him play many games where he isn’t working his ass off, even if he’s struggling.

Reactions: vanuck

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It's Garland.

Seemingly you can slot him on multiple variations of linemates and that will be our most consistent line.

When Garland-Blueger-Joshua are together they absolutely chew up 3rd pairing d-men. As important as Joshua's skillset is to the team, it's Garland that quarterbacks the offensive zone when he finds space in the boards.

Reactions: Nucker101

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Everyone had positive goal differentials in the first 20-30 games of the season. Anthony Beauvillier had an 11-3 ES goal differential but that doesn't mean he was playing great.
He was generating. Just not finishing.
Those with/without graphs are mostly useless because they aren't comparing apples to apples and you get results like 'everyone has better numbers with Goldobin!'.
They sure are not useless.

You cant take them for gospel but just because you dont agree with what they show does not make them useless.

They just happen to show what we all know. Hughes and Garland are the play drivers 5on5 this year.
And also those numbers are from the whole season, and nobody is disputing that his last 50 games have been terrific.
Fair.
Garland is a small skill player who was generating nothing offensively in October-November and provides no intangibles to compensate for a lack of production. The battle level and puck tenacity we've seen since December (and have seen at other points during his time here) wasn't there to start the season. The difference once that line started clicking was night-and-day.
Cant agree with the bolded part. He is always tenacious.

He was generating.

He wasnt finishing.

That is the entire point. He has been generating all year. His on ice shooting percentage was awful. He was unlucky.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He was generating. Just not finishing.

They sure are not useless.

You cant take them for gospel but just because you dont agree with what they show does not make them useless.

They just happen to show what we all know. Hughes and Garland are the play drivers 5on5 this year.

Fair.

Cant agree with the bolded part. He is always tenacious.

He was generating.

He wasnt finishing.

That is the entire point. He has been generating all year. His on ice shooting percentage was awful. He was unlucky.

He wasn't generating, though. I watched every single one of those games. We weren't having games where we were like 'wow, Garland was amazing but he's snakebit' or 'too bad his linemates can't finish' or anything along those lines. He was filling space ok-ish and not being very noticeable. People were trying to find ways/scenarios to dump his contract, same as Beauvillier.

He didn't 'stink' but nothing was happening for him, he was tried with pretty much every line/linemate and didn't have any chemistry or generate any results with anyone. Those shifts where he does incredible board work against bigger players to win battles weren't happening with anywhere near the frequency they have been later on in the season.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Tough call, I voted Garland because he is one of the three misfits who anchored a rock solid 3rd line that showed no mercy and gave no quarter. Blueger and Joshua have been great, but Garland was the one who rode into the season bearing tons of negativities. We were thinking that he's gonna be a cap dump, now he's an integral part of our squad.

Little surprised that Soucy is not on the list, what he did for our defense corps is basically black magic. Everything settles when he's around, and this season he brought about this atmosphere of peace and tranquility to the blue line that I had not seen for quite some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad