WHL Protected Player Lists

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I've been trying to track down the 50-player protected lists for the WHL teams for a while now, to no avail. I'm curious about the prospects coming up for each team, but the WHL is really sparse with this information.

Does anyone know if there is a curated database of the 50-player lists? Or if not, does anyone know why the WHL doesn't disclose the lists?

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I've been trying to track down the 50-player protected lists for the WHL teams for a while now, to no avail. I'm curious about the prospects coming up for each team, but the WHL is really sparse with this information.

Does anyone know if there is a curated database of the 50-player lists? Or if not, does anyone know why the WHL doesn't disclose the lists?

They are not anywhere. You can do a bit of research on each team's sites if they display a "prospects" page.

Us at DUBNetwork are venturing to get this figured out for everyone.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
Alan Caldwell's blog is the best thing that we have. He gets most teams prospects at the start of the season. Team links are on the sidebar. Keep in mind that protected lists can change pretty frequently and at this point this list is several months old, so it's probably somewhat inaccurate.

He has stated that he does not like to bug his sources for lots of updates because they are under no obligation to release the lists and doesn't want to overstep his welcome, I guess.

Last edited:

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Thanks guys, I figured as much.

The prospects pages on most of the teams' websites get out of date pretty quickly, although it's generally easy to keep track of drafted players because the bantam draft lists are always available.

There's just always one or two guys that come out of nowhere every season because they are listed players that the team has added without fanfare.

Sounds like the best way to track the lists now is through the manual work of people with inside knowledge.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
They are not anywhere. You can do a bit of research on each team's sites if they display a "prospects" page.

Us at DUBNetwork are venturing to get this figured out for everyone.

Is there a reason they aren't published? WHL would have to have the players on whitelists registered, no?

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Is there a reason they aren't published? WHL would have to have the players on whitelists registered, no?

To be 100% honest, I don't know the exact reason, I just know they are supposed to be kept private (IE: only the teams and the executives of the teams have access.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad