WHL Playoff Preview: Intriguing East, Predictable West

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
With the WHL playoffs starting on Thursday, I did a preview piece complete with some not-so-bold predictions: http://thehockeywriters.com/whl-playoff-preview-intriguing-east-predictable-west/

Your thoughts?

Western Conference appears to be much more wide open now, compared to say...Feb.1. Don't see any goaltenders with proven post-season credentials.
East...Brandon looks to be good for say, the next couple of years? Like Calgary to give them a push.

Betting Shaw TV picks up Red Deer vs M. Hat in round one.

Alaska Hockey

Mar 31, 2014
Anchorage, AK
I wish they'd show a LOT more WHL/CHL games on tv. I think I've only seen three this year, all within the last 3 weeks. Of course, I live in Anchorage, AK and there probably isn't much of a market but Root sports doesn't show nearly enough WHL/CHL action.

Good write-up, maybe I'll get to at least see some of the Portland/Seattle series.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I tend to agree Glen, that some of the playoff tweener teams have picked up their play and some of the top teams have tailed off a bit in the West. But I think that had more to do with the bottom teams being desperate and the leaders going through the motions. We shall see which teams ramp it up and which ones carry over their late season momentum starting this weekend.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Good read!

Swift Current over Regina is a risky prediction IMO, but it certainly could happen! Swift has looked absolutely awful when I have seen them recently, but Regina isn't exactly hot either.

Should be a good series there.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
2015 WHL Playoffs

East
Brandon over Edmonton in 5 games
Swift over Regina in 6 games
Calgary over Kootaney in 7 games
Red Deer over Medice Hat in 6 games

West
Kelowna over Tri City in 5 games