WHL Playoff Predictions: Couple Coin Flips in 2nd Round

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Victoria needs to get Soy, Kaspick, and Walford back. Phillips carried them into the 2nd round, but I’d feel a lot better if he had some support from Victoria’s other lines.

Reactions: Dack

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Tri-Cty beats Victoria in 5
Portland beats Everett in 6
Swift Current battles hard verses Moose Jaw and gets the victory in 7
Brandon beats Lethbridge in 6

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Lethbridge is a tough nut to crack.

33-33-6

Two really weird 8 game losing streaks though. One before the trade deadline with Estephan/Skinner etc, and one right at the end of the season almost immediately after clinching a playoff spot.

Obviously can't discount those streaks, but without them the team was 33-17-6 (0.642 point %). That % puts them right in the Portland, Spokane, Kelowna, Regina area of the overall standings, or 5th-8th overall. That's kind of where I thought they'd be before the season started.

Anyways, the way they destroyed the Rebels in round 1 it seems as though they've found their confidence and are on another level again, if so they should give Brandon, a team with 13 more points in the standings this year, all they can handle here in round 2.

If they lose confidence again, well then Brandon will likely make short work of them.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
Tri-City in 5: Wouldn't be surprised to see another TC sweep here, like you Larry they won me over and look like real contenders.

Everett in 7: Portland coming off a tough series against Spokane. Everett is a little more rested and has Carter Hart.

Moose Jaw in 7: Had this in my pre-playoff prediction and i'm gonna stick to my guns. Watched a few of the PA vs. MJ games and Moose Jaw didn't look that impressive but we will see how they come out against a tough SC team.

Lethbridge in 7: I'm still not quite a believer in Brandon, think they'll have a tough time with Lethbridge who will be pretty confident after dismantling Red Deer in round 1.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Tri City in 5
Everett in 6
Swift in 7
Lethbidge in 6 (going with my heart over my head here)

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Woof, 7-0 walloping in game 1. Going to the game tomorrow, hoping Victoria can tie it up or at least make it interesting.

Benjo

Mar 25, 2009
Hannoun matched up against Rasmussen was a complete gong show.

Rysac

Mar 1, 2012
Vancouver island
Anybody know how long the royals can expect soy and kaspick to be out? I know its playoffs and that kind of info isnt readily available. Could really help out a team whos struggling to provide any offense outside of gregor hannoun phillips .

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
'Canes erase a 4-0 deficit and complete the 5-4 OT victory to remain undefeated at home. Going to Brandon up 2-0.

Crazy for a team that sold their captain/top scorer and franchise goalie.

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Tri-City played a near perfect game tonight. Very well-coached. Very few mistakes, very few blown assignments, lots of offensive zone time. They were giving Victoria nothing to work with all night.

Can see this being a short series.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
You could claim that Everett is more rested, but that whole series depends on whether Winterhawk players are going full throttle (like Friday night) or hardly have a care in the world (like Saturday night).

Flip those coins, yo! This could be a series that depends more on what's going on off-ice in between the ears of Portland players.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Canes get up 4-0 after one. By the 12 minute mark of the 2nd it was 4-3. Luckily the Canes hang on and win 7-4 for the 3-1 series lead! That's Brandon's 1st home loss of these playoffs. Now the Wheat Kings will have to hand the Canes their 1st loss on home ice in these playoffs to stay alive.

Really can't believe the Canes are 1 win away from the 3rd round. This team lost 8 straight right before the playoffs started. The young guys and Morrison continue to produce, the key is they are getting lots of playoff production from the 98's who didn't score much in the regular season, namely Ross and Elmer. Olson has been lights out as well.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Canes get up 4-0 after one. By the 12 minute mark of the 2nd it was 4-3. Luckily the Canes hang on and win 7-4 for the 3-1 series lead! That's Brandon's 1st home loss of these playoffs. Now the Wheat Kings will have to hand the Canes their 1st loss on home ice in these playoffs to stay alive.

Really can't believe the Canes are 1 win away from the 3rd round. This team lost 8 straight right before the playoffs started. The young guys and Morrison continue to produce, the key is they are getting lots of playoff production from the 98's who didn't score much in the regular season, namely Ross and Elmer. Olson has been lights out as well.

Their offence is clicking and producing at a crazy clip - 5.3 goals per game. If they can shore up their own end and Flodell finds a little more consistency, look out!

Tri City 9th in the WHL in regular season points, Hurricanes 16th. 8-0 and 7-2 in the playoffs respectively. Crazy this year.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Disappointed but not surprised. Hopefully next year but I think we're probably more likely to head into a rebuild than compete for a championship.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Royals gave it all they had...big injuries...TC too good.

Maybe if we had won game 3 it would have been different series...

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Wow. If you would have told me the Canes would take out Brandon I would have doubted you. If you'd have told me they'd beat them in 5 games and out score them 24-14 I would ordered you a straight jacket.

Way to go Canes! Impressive.

I expect them to get slaughtered in round 3 by either Swift Current or Moose Jaw, those teams should really be on a whole other level.

Reactions: SpoolCat

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
What an awesome season for the Canes. Traded their two best players at the deadline and still will play in the conference finals while adding a very talented rookie in Logan Barlage. Brad Morrison has been amazing. Apparently he has Aspergers too, I'll definitely root for him in the future.
Hopefully Swift Current takes out Moose Jaw so assuming the Canes do get killed in the conference finals we'll still have somebody to cheer for, hopefully for a memorial cup

Reactions: BurnEmUp

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Broncos clobber the Warriors 6-0 in game 7.

Can't believe it's actually gonna happen, but after a 7 player trade between these two teams in January, that saw the Canes send their #1 goalie and leading scorer to the Broncos, they will now face each other in the eastern final.

Reactions: SpoolCat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad