WHL Defenseman Prospects

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
joe_hicketts_victoria_100915_1.jpg
Photo: Victoria Royals defenseman and Detroit Red Wings prospect Joe Hicketts served as an alternate captain for Team Canada at the 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship (courtesy of Marissa Baecker/Getty Images)

</p>The smallest defender lands the top ranking in this Hockey’s Future ranking of the top WHL*defenders*that are currently the property of NHL teams. Joe Hicketts of the Victoria Royals and a prospect of the Detroit Red Wings gets the nod as the defensive NHL property out of the WHL.

Our ranking includes a mix primarily of offensively gifted players, along with a couple of prototypical “shutdown†defensemen. For this list, the criteria we used ranks drafted and/or signed prospects currently playing in the WHL.… read more

The post Royals’ Joe Hicketts the top NHL property among WHL defensemen appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
What...

"With eight goals and 32 assists in 30 games, Travis Sanheim would seem to be on pace to match last season’s output of 65 points in 67 games."

... the ****?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What would we have to add to Sanheim or Provorov to get Hicketts? If it's just a 2nd then that seems like a solid trade for the Flyers. :sarcasm:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Provorov is listed as one of the best prospects in the world right now by some people.

Ernest95

Jul 10, 2015
Philly
Judging by the comments so far, I'm going to guess its not a good article :P
"Travis Sanheim would seem to be on pace to match last season’s output of 65 points in 67 games."
Especially with that comment coming from that article.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I suspect mathematicians were not consulted when assessing whether Sanheim's point per game + pace could surpass a less than point per game pace.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The way this article was originally posted was almost trolling...

I mean, if this was from a HF partner from another teams board or even a poster from another posting an article here from the web they would be arguably banned from the Flyers board.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The way this article was originally posted was almost trolling...

I mean, if this was from a HF partner from another teams board or even a poster from another posting an article here from the web they would be arguably banned from the Flyers board.

Yes, I see my comment was deleted and then HC changed the title of the thread that said Hicketts is the best defenseman in the WHL. Smooth move.

WTF were they thinking posting that here? What do they think the response would be?

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
No Spokane Chiefs on the list. Ah well, Tyler Johnson is representing his old WHL club pretty well in Tampa Bay or so I've heard :).
Although our guys (Provorov and Sanheim) both had points against Spokane when their respective teams played the Chiefs in October. Provy had a goal, Sanheim had an assist.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The troll job by HF Article is actually hilarious :laugh:. This board is the biggest anti-Hicketts on all of HF and the article starts off with him :laugh:

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Hicketts is the best NHL property in the WHL? I doubt he ever makes it to the NHL. He's too small to be a defenseman at that level.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Provorov has more goals, more points and ridiculous +/-, basically shuts down the opposition. But hey Hickets is better.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I love how the first line for Hicketts is identical for both years. Just proves the laughable amount of work and research that goes into this. Give me a break, Hicketts is ****.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
It's even worse when you actually read it.

On a somewhat serious note, though potentially humorous, Hicketts was also able to produce under pressure off the ice at the 2016 WJC. Selected by the IIHF to provide a urine sample for testing by the doping agency after a 3-2 win over Switzerland, Hicketts summed up the experience for the Canadian Press. “You have to pee I think 100 millilitres and I was short about 10. Four litres of water and about an hour later and I was finally finished.”

Just what in the **** is this?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Who gives a **** how much he has to pee.

He played like ass and Canada sucked. Maybe they would've been better off playing Sanheim & Konecny instead of the golden child.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I like a guy akin to Button's lists because they make me believe he watches them and gives me his honest opinions, whether they fit the common mindset or not. It doesn't even mean I think he's correct in those opinions. Genuine, researched dissent is always worth hearing.

I don't know what to do with HF produced content anymore. If a poster put up this list, they would be laughed off the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad