WHL Commits to 24 game season

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Western Hockey League commits to season for WHL players – WHL Network

The Western Hockey League has committed to a 24 game season with a start date yet to be determined.

Their focus seems to be on giving the players an opportunity to continue pursuing their hockey goals, albeit with a shortened season.

At some point the CHL is going to need to at least align season end dates and playoff formats in an effort to conclude with a Memorial Cup (June 17 start).

Personally, I cannot see the CHL extend the proposed date for the Memorial Cup in late June. You have to think ice conditions in Junior rinks would become problematic rolling into June so to make games playable, I cannot see an extension to the current June 17 start for the Memorial Cup.

If the three leagues adopt what the OHL announced for the playoffs:
- 3 rounds
- round one 5 games
- round 2 and Championship round 7 games
The playoffs would need to start by around May 4th.

By my estimation, Thursday March 4th would be the most likely start date. Teams would probably assemble somewhere around Feb 19th for a training camp and maybe fit in a couple exhibition games.

From a scheduled dates perspective, I think this would be the goal for the WHL. Whether this would be viable for the OHL, who knows. As we progress through January, we should get a better sense.

Reactions: JMCx4

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

The Western Hockey League has committed to a 24 game season with a start date yet to be determined.

Their focus seems to be on giving the players an opportunity to continue pursuing their hockey goals, albeit with a shortened season.

At some point the CHL is going to need to at least align season end dates and playoff formats in an effort to conclude with a Memorial Cup (June 17 start).

Personally, I cannot see the CHL extend the proposed date for the Memorial Cup in late June. You have to think ice conditions in Junior rinks would become problematic rolling into June so to make games playable, I cannot see an extension to the current June 17 start for the Memorial Cup.

- 3 rounds
- round one 5 games

By my estimation, Thursday March 4th would be the most likely start date. Teams would probably assemble somewhere around Feb 19th for a training camp and maybe fit in a couple exhibition games.

From a scheduled dates perspective, I think this would be the goal for the WHL. Whether this would be viable for the OHL, who knows. As we progress through January, we should get a better sense.

Money talks!!!

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

- 3 rounds
- round one 5 games

Easier for the OHL than the WHL because of the close proximity of teams to one another (comparably speaking) .. however the boarder and no fans situations i don't see changing before the beginning of April at the earliest... it's just a pipe dream

Reactions: OHLTG

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Easier for the OHL than the WHL because of the close proximity of teams to one another (comparably speaking) .. however the boarder and no fans situations i don't see changing before the beginning of April at the earliest... it's just a pipe dream

Other leagues have played with less teams. If the US based teams choose not to relocate to a "safe zone" they will simply play without them just like the ECHL and AHL.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Yeah if the dates were all the same the OHL could do more than 24 games. WHL is doing that because they're doing only weekends. But if OHL did games vs division only (which they would) then they could do more games mid-week because most would be relatively close anyways

Otto

Other leagues have played with less teams. If the US based teams choose not to relocate to a "safe zone" they will simply play without them just like the ECHL and AHL.

That's super... but you're ignoring everything that has transpired thus far. I'd be shocked if the OHL changed their tune to these things. Not to mention there's still the approval of the Ontario government they would need, since the government is pondering a curfew right now, I doubt they will be in a rush to bring OHL hockey back.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah if the dates were all the same the OHL could do more than 24 games. WHL is doing that because they're doing only weekends. But if OHL did games vs division only (which they would) then they could do more games mid-week because most would be relatively close anyways

I am not sure that is accurate. I did the forecast as 13 games per month and then softened the first week like they normally do the first week or two every season. The start date was based on using a backwards analysis starting from the Memorial Cup start date and working backwards.

Of course, if the OHL were to start earlier than the first weekend in March, that would allow for more games. Also, if the OHL were to increase their schedule from an average of 13 games per month to 15 games per month, they’d be able to get another 4-5 games in.

The other option is to reduce the playoffs. The possibility exists that they could simply do 2 rounds or reduce the length of the rounds. It could be similar to baseball where each division has a single game or best of 3 for the division winner and 2nd place finisher. Then a 5 game semi-final and Championship final. That would increase the regular season by about 2 weeks or so which would allow additional games.

It will come down to what the league feels is most important. If it is about maintaining development, it is better to play more regular season games so more players play more hockey. If there is still a push for legitimacy of naming a champion then the playoff format needs to be legitimate with at least 3 rounds and 7 game series for the Conference and League Finals.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That's super... but you're ignoring everything that has transpired thus far. I'd be shocked if the OHL changed their tune to these things. Not to mention there's still the approval of the Ontario government they would need, since the government is pondering a curfew right now, I doubt they will be in a rush to bring OHL hockey back.

All strong arguments but it isn’t about whether they can start. It is about whether the league will commit to a season for development purposes.

That said, a curfew is meaningless. You can play games during the day if necessary. Mind you, if there is a curfew in place, the other restrictions would be in place as well which would potentially curtail any game play.

Regardless, the league still needs a goal to get to. If they don’t have a goal to get to, there is nothing to work toward.

Let’s keep Pandemic/Politics talk out of the discussion or the discussion will be shut down. If we can keep this focussed on what the OHL needs to do rather than what the Government will do, it would be beneficial.

Otto

All strong arguments but it isn’t about whether they can start. It is about whether the league will commit to a season for development purposes.

That said, a curfew is meaningless. You can play games during the day if necessary. Mind you, if there is a curfew in place, the other restrictions would be in place as well which would potentially curtail any game play.

Regardless, the league still needs a goal to get to. If they don’t have a goal to get to, there is nothing to work toward.

Let’s keep Pandemic/Politics talk out of the discussion or the discussion will be shut down. If we can keep this focussed on what the OHL needs to do rather than what the Government will do, it would be beneficial.

IMO you can't have a discussion without at least some mention of government.. since it's the government who makes the decisions.

For that reason I am out.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

- 3 rounds
- round one 5 games

I also can't see the Memorial Cup being pushed back. I think the main focus should be, even more so than having a season, starting training camps in late August and having a somewhat normal 21-22 season. Any 20-21 season that happens at this point will be extremely compromised, arguably not even worth having.

Point being, if the compromise to having a shortened 2020-21 season and condensed playoffs means starting 2021-22 in November and playing 48 games, scrap it.

Reactions: e14

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I also can't see the Memorial Cup being pushed back. I think the main focus should be, even more so than having a season, starting training camps in late August and having a somewhat normal 21-22 season. Any 20-21 season that happens at this point will be extremely compromised, arguably not even worth having.

Point being, if the compromise to having a shortened 2020-21 season and condensed playoffs means starting 2021-22 in November and playing 48 games, scrap it.

Its all about money!!!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There wont be fans inside of buildings in any sort of 2020-21 games. That’s why it’s so important that 2021-22 is 68 games. There might not be full capacity, but it’s better than nothing at this point.

I can potentially see a slight delay in the start of the season if vaccinations are slower than predicted but you have to think that unless there are significant issues with the vaccine working as tested, the teams should have enough confidence in 21-22 as any other year.

That said, what we don't know is the logistics surrounding attendance. But actually playing games shouldn't be an issue as I imagine that will be validated once vaccinations are complete.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
rThere ya go, Alberta approved the WHL playing in their province with n0 bubble. Next up, BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba. We know Americans don't give a shit about Covid.

cape islander

Jul 20, 2003
So will WHL players that are currently on AHL rosters have to be returned to there WHL teams or do they stay in the AHL for the season?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
A Kelowna Rocket player just tested positive.. hopefully it doesn't spread through the whole team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad