WHL Best D/Goalies/Tough Guys/ etc...UK fan

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
Greetings from the UK. Massive fan of the CHL/Prospects especially interested in the Euros/Imports:

This time of year, I wander slightly from my regular NHL watching, and start thinking of Drafts etc, finding myself immersed into the World of the CHL/WHL

Enjoy tuning into the late night Radio broadcasts via the internet (although the Seattle Games time difference is brutal..lol..3am start times in the UK) to listen in.
Key players I have enjoyed listening into are in particular Leon Draisatl (PE) Nikita Scherbak (SASK) and my favorites of last year, Delnov/Lipsbergs (SEA) but as I have been in the NHL loop since preseason,want to know a little more about "Whos Who" in this years WHL (North American or Import Players)

I appreciate opinions may vary but I would like to know info that ISNT available on the WHL stats screen: such as who the...
TOP FIGHTERS
TOP SHUTDOWN D
TOP SHUT DOWN FORWARDS
TOP GOALTENDERS

I would really appreciate ANY info knowledge, titbits etc

Also, for those with even more in-depth insight, what are the opinions of Draisaitl?
Ever time I listen into the Raiders, i am so impressed. He seems a genuine talent.
I have seen brief highlights on the superb "HockeyProspects" youtube page (which as a far away fan I am extremely grateful for

Another question when i see Roberts Lipsbergs clips/highlights and stats, I am puzzled as to why he was never drafted?
He has certainly produced at the WHL and looks to have a great shot....Any thoughts?

Please feel free to reply here or via email.
Thank you all
Jd
[email protected]

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Hmm for goalies I'd say (in no particular order)

Comrie
Driedger
Bartosak
Cooke
Jarry

Langhammer and Skapski impress me when I watch them. Also Vollrath has been brilliant this year.

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
Thank you so much.
Nice pic of the Boss in your Avatar!

Volraith is the Victoria kid, i recall from tuning in last year was backing up the Czech,
Polivka?
What do you think of the youngster in Seattle, Kozoun? He has, from what i gather, been very good too since his arrival.

Thanks again...love learning about the prospects, but i always am dazzledby the flashy forwards, and know little of the Dmen and Goalies..lol

Listening into the Raiders vs Royals right now.

Last edited:

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi JCJet.

Petan is something isnt he.
His numbers over the last 2 years are staggering! He is pretty pesky too I gather!

Listened to the Raiders last night, my goodness, Leon Draisaitl sounds amazing too...certainly my favorite of the 2014 draftee`s.
He has 6 goals 9 assists in his last 7 games!

any other info on
TOP SHUTDOWN D
TOP SHUT DOWN FORWARDS
FIGHTERS/AGITATORS?

Thank you to all

GhostofRichardPark

Jun 19, 2011
Victoria
Following a lot of WHL games and watching the Victoria Royals I have to say Tim Traber is probably one of the biggest agitators/tough guys in the league. He has 12 goals and 23 points this year to go along with his 139 penalty minutes. Used to love watching him play for Victoria but absolutely hate him now that he plays for the Giants (who we see a lot of). I remember one game that I went to back in December he took a boarding major only a few minutes into the game. Plays with an edge but can stand up for himself if he needs to answer the bell

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
Baddock is widely known as the best pure fighter in the league. Mitch Moroz is also really good, but also plays hockey! Haha

Thank you guys!
I remember Hood when he played in Lethbridge, very solid built guy If i remember reading correctly.
I remember listening into Traber, when I used to tune into Gogolevs games and he was always in the mix of things!
As I can only listen into the games here in the UK and see brief highlights, i shall check out the wonderful Hockeyfights.com to watch Baddock?
I have never heard of him. Is he a real intimidator?
Is Moroz is a tough power forward guy in the Lucic mould?

Thank you all again, this is great stuff!

Any thoughts about the Best Shutdown Players/ Both Forwards and Defencemen?

Last edited:

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
He may not be the best shutdown defensemen in the league but Dalton Thrower has been something special since he came to the Giants.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
In no particular order:

TOP FIGHTERS
-Dyson Stevenson (Pound for pound best IMO)
-Mitch Moroz
-Ryan Rehill
-Brandon Baddock
-Keegan Kanzig

TOP SHUTDOWN D
-Griffen Reinhart
-Damon Severson
-Madison Bowey
-Nelson Nogier
-Dillon Heatherington

TOP SHUT DOWN FORWARDS
-Conner Bleackley
-Cole Ully
-Curtis Lazar
-Jujhar Khaira
-Sam Reinhart

TOP GOALTENDERS
-Coleman Vollrath
-Tristan Jarry
-Auston Lotz
-Eric Comire
-Patrik Bartosak

Hordichuk_24

As I can only listen into the games here in the UK and see brief highlights, i shall check out the wonderful Hockeyfights.com to watch Baddock?

Baddock has had a great year in the fighting department. He is certainly the most improved scrapper and earning a reputation for himself. That said the best fighter in the league is Jacob Doty. That is easily a clear cut choice in my mind. Baddock has fought Doty twice this year. He held his own the first time around (Doty hurt his hand during that fight so that certainly favored Baddock's odds in that scrap) but Doty beat him the second time they fought.

Pound for pound the best fighter in the league is Tyrell Goulbourne. Two other names deserving of mention are Tanner LeSann and Dyson Stevenson.

johnnydrum said:
Is Moroz is a tough power forward guy in the Lucic mould?

Moroz is nowhere near as tough as Lucic. Points wise he's producing well this year. It's hard to say how or if that will translate to the pro level. Many people didn't think Lucic would ever make it because he "couldn't skate". :shakehead

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
Hordichuk_24: Thank you Darcy! lol Everytime I have listened in when the TBirds play him, Tyrell Goulbourne always seems to cause havoc.

Blitz: Thrower is a beast right? He was with the Blades last year, and was a key guy.

Mozesmadness: Brilliant mate, that`s a big help. I really like to get a view on who to listen out for, especially as these things are not measured by stats!

Guys, thank you so much for taking the time to post.
Really helped me out.
Jd

Hordichuk_24

Braid has had a good year in the fighting department but his quality of opponents hasn't been the strongest. Without the big names on his card it's hard to rank or consider him one of the toughest. That said, it's hard to recall him losing many fights. I can't even think of any off the top of my head. Probably have to go back a year or possibly longer.

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
Braid has had a good year in the fighting department but his quality of opponents hasn't been the strongest. Without the big names on his card it's hard to rank or consider him one of the toughest. That said, it's hard to recall him losing many fights. I can't even think of any off the top of my head. Probably have to go back a year or possibly longer.

I just watched his fight vs Crunk of the Royals...wow!

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Hordi your the best with the videos so you should remember braid and lesann have fought twice and I believe braid won both. His only loss imo is in his rookie year against grbavac.

Hordichuk_24

Hordi your the best with the videos so you should remember braid and lesann have fought twice and I believe braid won both. His only loss imo is in his rookie year against grbavac.

Yes I recall the LeSann fights. And I agree Braid won both. But I don't consider LeSann one of the top fighters in the league. He is one of the toughest pound for pound but he isn't in the same class as someone like Doty. I actually wish Braid would scrap a little more frequently and against stiffer competition. I think he is more than capable but until it happens it's just speculation.

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
kozun for seattle is a monster so athletic

Hiya Saad.
Really enjoy the listening to the Tbirds games via the internet radio...I am trying to source the recent game against the Raiders as it featured several of my favorite prospects.
Kozun sounds like something else! What a pick up!
What does he do well? Is he fast/Reflex etc?

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I have to agree with Hordichuk24. Jacob Doty is the best fighter in the WHL and has been for the last few seasons. I cannot wait to see a combination of Cody Beach and Jacob Doty next season for the Chicago Wolves (if Doty can land an AHL spot). I had high hopes for Keegan Kanzig, but he hasn't been too impressive. He still has plenty of time to develop, he is going to be scary.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I have talked with a lot of players and the toughest guys are

Kanzig - Players are scared of him this is probably the purest old school tough guy in the WHL. Lost some of the Mystique with a loss to Baddock
Baddock - Heavy heavy hands. Ascended to the heights of old school thugs like Scott Parker and Matt Kassian
Goulbourne - Fearsome puncher. Throws bombs. Will fight anyone anywhere
LeSann - The middleweight champ. Fearless and throws with abandon
Moroz - Forms a nasty one/two punch with Baddock. Baddock takes your tough guy to the box and Moroz abuses your team. Loved his muggings of Hart and Olsen. You hit me or my teammates you are going down
Rehill - Really tough player with good hands. Going to be a load next year
Doty - Went from just a guy who liked to throw bombs to maybe a future NHL prospect. The beast from Billings is someone people stay clear of
Elliot - Another classic big old school thug. He will find his way in the minors but the NHL is phasing out 1 dimensional fighters
Astles-Can throw them with anyone and take them with the best.
Lernout - Going to get drafted because he went from big and soft to big and scary
Grist - Classic old school D man. Will fight the heavies and handle them. Strong as an ox
Gabrielle - The new Ferland. Tough kid with high end skill. Bull strong at 16. Will fight bigger,will fighter smaller, players better beware

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad