WHL Arenas

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Just moved home to Portland from Bruins Country, going to my first Winterhawks game on the 19th. Can't wait!!! So ready for hockey!!! Am missing the ability to go up to the B's pre-season skates whenever I wanted to big time.
Welcome to Portland! You might recognize it as the place where Ex-Bruins Andrew Ference and Cam Neely cut their teeth :)

The Rose Garden (no one here calls it the Moda Center) is an excellent place to catch a game. The last time I remember the upper level being open during a hockey match was back in the 1998 Memorial cup run (and yes, it did sell out). Sight lines are good but you can tell that the team they cater to is the Trailblazers.

The Memorial Coliseum definitely shows it's age (the jumbotron there is the best technology 1996 has to offer), but I think it's still a good venue--especially for Junior Hockey. It does get very loud. Sight lines are very good as well.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Welcome to Portland! You might recognize it as the place where Ex-Bruins Andrew Ference and Cam Neely cut their teeth :)

The Rose Garden (no one here calls it the Moda Center) is an excellent place to catch a game. The last time I remember the upper level being open during a hockey match was back in the 1998 Memorial cup run (and yes, it did sell out). Sight lines are good but you can tell that the team they cater to is the Trailblazers.

The Memorial Coliseum definitely shows it's age (the jumbotron there is the best technology 1996 has to offer), but I think it's still a good venue--especially for Junior Hockey. It does get very loud. Sight lines are very good as well.

Yes, I did know my husbands, I mean Ference and Neely <g> cut their teeth out here actually :) I think we're sitting in between the penalty boxes and the W'Hawk's goal, about 6 rows up from the glass. Was impressed with the fact that when we went online to get tickets the game was already almost sold out. Jr games back East do not get even close to that kind of attendance. Hell the Providence Bruins don't get that kind of attendance for that matter.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Wrong. In true Portlandia fashion, I call it Moda Center... ironically.

Then you're part of the problem <j/k> :D.

Seriously, no one I know calls it the Moda center--ironically or not. Our mentality is that if someone does and people acknowledge Moda Center as the proper name, then the universe begins to unravel. Up becomes down, Powells, 2nd Avenue Records, and Fire on the Mountain close up shop, the Seattle Sounders aren't universally hated, and Voodoo is replaced with a Winchells.

We can't let that happen :D

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Seriously, no one I know calls it the Moda center--ironically or not. Our mentality is that if someone does and people acknowledge Moda Center as the proper name, then the universe begins to unravel. Up becomes down, Powells, 2nd Avenue Records, and Fire on the Mountain close up shop, the Seattle Sounders aren't universally hated, and Voodoo is replaced with a Winchells.

Whats interesting to me is that usually Any kind of Seattle vs Portland sports discussion there is strong hatred (WHL, MLS, UO vs UW).

But then we come to the Seahawks and we are one giant happy family lol.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Whats interesting to me is that usually Any kind of Seattle vs Portland sports discussion there is strong hatred (WHL, MLS, UO vs UW).

I wouldn't know because I don't follow Gridiron football. :)

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
hahaha, fair enough, although I'm sure you see it around town and talked about at the watercolor (Both Hawks + Ducks)
I kinda saw it but not to the extent that my bro reported Seattle was. At the water cooler one of my Cow-irkers was doing backflips, and another from Colorado was a bit depressed, but It was nowhere near the party that Seattle was, or (being from Chicago) the Blackhawks was in 2010 and 2013.

Still, the T-birds/Winterhawks and the Sounders/Timbers (and Whitecaps) rivalry is the stuff of legend.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

You and your passive/aggressive use of smileys and "j/k" disappoint me. Even though passive/aggressive is generally Portlandian, that usage could get you a one-way ticket, bub.

One thing about Portlandian tendencies... nobody likes anyone else stealing their shtick. Calling it "Moda Center" (in much the way Kevin Smith mocks his human prey before he devours them whole) is MY shtick. Got it?

A good chunk of Timbers Army devotes some of the scant discretionary time we have to changing this. All in due time.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
You and your passive/aggressive use of smileys and "j/k" disappoint me. Even though passive/aggressive is generally Portlandian, that usage could get you a one-way ticket, bub.

One thing about Portlandian tendencies... nobody likes anyone else stealing their shtick. Calling it "Moda Center" (in much the way Kevin Smith mocks his human prey before he devours them whole) is MY shtick. Got it?

A good chunk of Timbers Army devotes some of the scant discretionary time we have to changing this. All in due time.

The billboard outside of Centurylink Field was my favorite so far.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
You did mention that the Saddledome was an NHL game. :)

I think it adds to the discussion though--for at comparison of arenas I would assume that the Saddledome doesn't change much between Flames and Hitman games.

True :).

Not much difference between flames and hitmen except that part of the top level is closed off I believe.

Gmen fan

Sep 20, 2014
Rinks I've been to

New Westminster Bruins Queens Park Arena
Vancouver Giants Pacific Coliseum
Chilliwack Bruins Prospera Center
Everett Silver Tips Comcast Arena
Prince George Cougars CN Center
Kamloops Blazers Interior Savings Center
Moose Jaw Civic Center
Regina Pats Brandt Center
Seattle Thunderbirds Key Arena, Showare Center
Portland Winterhawks Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Calgary Saddledome (Flames-Blues game)

I'm hoping to get to Victoria this season. I have family that just moved there which makes it a lot cheaper to stay over a weekend.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Red Deer (Enmax Centrium) (My Home-Town Team/Arena)
Edmonton (Rexall Place) (Been their for both Oilers and Oil-Kings games)
Calgary (Scotiabank Saddledome) (Been their for both Flames and Hitmen games)
Kelowna (Prospera Place) (Been their during the Summer on vacation, so no games)

I love the atmosphere of the Rebels arena, especially during the Playoffs! I also couldn't believe they could fit that many people in the Kelowna arena, because the arena was sooo small).

Ogopogo*

Kamloops
Kelowna
Red Deer
Edmonton
Seattle

The smaller venues (5-6,000 seats) are the best for WHL hockey. Wen to a playoff game in Red Deer a few years back and the sold out building (6,000) was awesome! The atmosphere at Rexall for Oil Kings games isn't as good - even with 10,000+ in attendance. Although, game 6 of the finals last year was pretty good with 12,000 at the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad