WHL Arenas

takehisheadoff

Nov 2, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
I seen a post like this in the OHL forum so I thought I would start one here. I know lots here are scouts and have probably been to all the rinks. But for others which WHL rinks have you been to?

For me

Cranbrook
Prince George
Kamloops
Kelowna
Spokane
Tri City
Lethbridge
Red Deer
Medicine Hat
Edmonton
Calgary

One day would love to hit them all.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Only been to Vancouver, Everett, Chilliwack, and Kamloops. I've been to Victoria's as well but that was for a Tragically Hip concert. Out of those rinks, Everett's is the nicest, IMO.

Hoping to catch a game in Portland next season.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Sadly, I've generally been stateside.

Spokane's probably the favorite, though that was 15-20 years ago. Everett's certainly not bad. Fond memories of Tri. Seattle... new place is kind of meh.

Rocko, if you end up at old Memorial, my apologies (though many think it's a superior seating bowl; it's also 55 years old and shows its age). Rose Garden/Moda Center, you might wonder why not NHL... but I think the basketball accommodation might be a bit offputting.

I've been to Pacific Coliseum... Canucks, obviously. I keep threatening Kelowna or Victoria (been by both in summer) or Kamloops. Someday.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Brandon
Vancouver
Kamloops
Chilliwack
Victoria
Everett
Portland

Calgary (flames not Hitmen)

Everett's arena is beautiful...would love to hit them all but favor the small ones like PA or Swift Current.... heard Kelowna can be a zoo at times..

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Have been to 15 of the 22.

Calgary
Edmonton
Everett
Kootenay
Medicine Hat
Moose Jaw
Portland (Moda)
PA
Red Deer
Regina
Saskatoon
Seattle
Spokane
Swift Current
Tri-City

Haven't been to any of the BC division rinks (will see all of them next year), plus no Lethbridge or Brandon.

Favorites include Portland, Spokane, Everett, MJ and Red Deer (just wish EVERYTHING wasn't green).

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Sadly, I've generally been stateside.

Spokane's probably the favorite, though that was 15-20 years ago. Everett's certainly not bad. Fond memories of Tri. Seattle... new place is kind of meh.

Rocko, if you end up at old Memorial, my apologies (though many think it's a superior seating bowl; it's also 55 years old and shows its age). Rose Garden/Moda Center, you might wonder why not NHL... but I think the basketball accommodation might be a bit offputting.

I've been to Pacific Coliseum... Canucks, obviously. I keep threatening Kelowna or Victoria (been by both in summer) or Kamloops. Someday.

I'm sure the Pacific and Memorial Coliseums share some of the same qualities. Pacific is about 47 years old. They gave it a nice face lift for the Olympics though, and the Giants ownership have done a good job trying to keep it looking fresh.

Was watching Game 7 Hawks/Oil Kings and thought the Memorial looked pretty cool. My dream scenario would be having seeing the Whitecaps/Timbers and Giants/Winterhawks on the same weekend.

Had some friends who went to Spokane for the playoffs back in 09. They thought the arena was great, but they apparently won't go back to Spokane again, got a little hairy after the game around the arena, lol.

tinyrd

May 19, 2014
visited

Portland (both)
Seattle
Spokane
Everett
Tri-city
Victoria
Vancouver
Kelowna
Kamloops
Kootenay
Edmonton
Calgary
Red Deer
Lethbridge
Medicine Hat
Moose Jaw (Crushed Can)
Saskatoon
Brandon

Favorites: Everett, Kelowna, Seattle (Kent), Red Deer, Brandon. Really liked Chilliwack too.
Looking forward to PA, SC, Reg., and PG.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
been to

Lethbridge
Medicine Hat
Red Deer
Cranbrook
Calgary (Flames)
Edmonton (Oilers)
Saskatoon (Flames pre-season)

wow, that's more than I expected.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Tri-cities
Seattle (Key Arena and ShoWare)
Everett
Portland (Memorial Coliseum and Rose Garden--I refuse to call it the Moda Center).

Of those:

Rose Garden is the best hands-down, and could easily handle an NHL team. Great seating and sight lines.

Everett is 2nd best IMHO. Smaller arena, but definitly loud--which always makes for a good hockey experience. Great sight-lines as well.

Showare is only a little behind Everett. Small, loud, and has fantastic ice; the only way it loses point against Everett is that seat access is from ice level at the bottom of the section, not top; can be congested. Still, great sight-lines.

Memorial Coliseum is 3rd. Smaller ice and defintily shows it's age (especially with the JumboTron that has the best technology that 1996 has to offer), but still retains it's charm. Good sight-lines and atmosphere.

Tri-cities is smaller and a bit more cramped than Showare--basically an arena built into an office complex that somehow works, if nopt perfectly. Decent atmosphere.

Last and certainly least is Key Arena. The architect of this piece of excreta needs to be thrown screaming through the blades of a helicopter. Poor sight-lines, bad ice, and it's definitely telling if the T-birds *and* the ex-Sonics couldn't leave there soon enough. Place needs to be carpet-bombed IMHO.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I've only been to a few:

Saskatoon (both the Saskatoon Arena and Credit Union Centre)
Regina
Moose Jaw (Crushed Can)
Edmonton (for many things, just not an Oil Kings games)
Calgary (for a Flames game)

I've also been inside the pre-reno Swift Current arena, but didn't see anything much inside.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Been to Everett, Seattle (2)

Liked the venue in Everett the best.

Liked the other activities the best at Key Arena, lots of awesome places to eat/things to do before/after game.

Like Kent because a ton of parking options + some nice dining/entertainment options across the street at Kent Station.

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
Let's see:

Seattle (Kent)
Portland (both)
Everett
Tri-City
Spokane
Vancouver
Kelowna
Kamloops
Kootenay
Calgary
Red Deer
Lethbridge
Edmonton
Medicine Hat
Swift Current
Moose Jaw (only the old one)
Regina
Saskatoon
Brandon

So I have yet to go to Victoria, Prince George, Prince Albert, and the new Moose Jaw Mosaic Place.

ChumpyG

Jibbity jibbity
Feb 13, 2007
Portland, OR
Tri-cities
Seattle (Key Arena and ShoWare)
Everett
Portland (Memorial Coliseum and Rose Garden--I refuse to call it the Moda Center).

Of those:

Rose Garden is the best hands-down, and could easily handle an NHL team. Great seating and sight lines.

Everett is 2nd best IMHO. Smaller arena, but definitly loud--which always makes for a good hockey experience. Great sight-lines as well.

Showare is only a little behind Everett. Small, loud, and has fantastic ice; the only way it loses point against Everett is that seat access is from ice level at the bottom of the section, not top; can be congested. Still, great sight-lines.

Memorial Coliseum is 3rd. Smaller ice and defintily shows it's age (especially with the JumboTron that has the best technology that 1996 has to offer), but still retains it's charm. Good sight-lines and atmosphere.

The ice at the MC is actually now regulation size. They did that a season or two ago.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I've only ever been to the CUC and Saddledome. Saddledome was NHL game.
Well, if we're counting non CHL arenas add in Rogers Arena, United Center, and US Steel arena (Košice). All three are top-notch centerse to catch a hockey game. :)

The ice at the MC is actually now regulation size. They did that a season or two ago.

Even last year that neutral zone looked small. I might have to pay a bit better attention this year, or the building is definitly showing its age and no makout of cosmetic fix-me-ups will make that place look modern.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Only been to Vancouver, Everett, Chilliwack, and Kamloops. I've been to Victoria's as well but that was for a Tragically Hip concert. Out of those rinks, Everett's is the nicest, IMO.

Hoping to catch a game in Portland next season.

Just moved home to Portland from Bruins Country, going to my first Winterhawks game on the 19th. Can't wait!!! So ready for hockey!!! Am missing the ability to go up to the B's pre-season skates whenever I wanted to big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad