WHL Announces Mandatory Neck Protective Equipment

Jul 6, 2008
GTA

Wonder how long it will take before we see the OHL mandate a similar safety issue for player safety.

The OHL (and QMJHL) already have neck guard rules in place. This move just brings the WHL up to the CHL standard.

Neck guards are already mandatory in the Ontario Hockey League and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League — the other two major junior leagues under the Canadian Hockey League umbrella.

source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/hockey-whl-nhl-adam-johnson-1.7015959

As far as I can tell, the OHL has had the neck guard rule in place since the Richard Zednik incident in early 2008, over fifteen years ago. Source listed below..

The ruling was prompted by a dangerous incident during an NHL game on Feb. 10 when Florida Panthers player Richard Zednik was cut in the neck by his teammate's skate.

The cut severed Zednik's external carotid artery. He was upgraded to good condition and has since been quoted as saying he will wear a neck guard once he returns to the ice.

Drake Berehowsky, the assistant coach of the Barrie Colts, said there was the same type of opposition when visors were made mandatory a few years ago.

Source: OHL players voice opposition to neck-guard rule

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
The OHL (and QMJHL) already have neck guard rules in place. This move just brings the WHL up to the CHL standard.

As far as I can tell, the OHL has had the neck guard rule in place since the Richard Zednik incident in early 2008, over fifteen years ago. Source listed below..
I'm actually surprised the WHL just implemented neck guards 😮

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad