Speculation: Whipping Boy

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
With Leino out, who is most likely to be our new whipping boy? Here's my short list:

Drew Stafford. Has a lot of experience in that area, but also came around last year.
Chris Stewart. Rumored to lack in work ethics.
Tyler Myers. Like Stafford he's been an alternate whipping boy from time to time, but also re-invented himself last year.
Christian Ehrhoff. Rumors about him wanting out and fans tending to overreact on what he's said in interviews combined with a lengthy contract and high expectations puts him on the list.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Don't really care. Whomever steps up and grabs it.

Stafford would have the early lead, though the turnaround last year was notable for me.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Hopefully no one. We have no use for a whipping boy when we're this bad. I'll say Stewart, though. If we don't move him in the offseason, people are going to be expecting that he play well so that we either want to keep him, or can get good return for him at the deadline. If he winds up on a 15 goal pace, people are going to **** themselves.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
Drew Stafford is probably gonna play with our 18 year old golden goose next year and look pretty competent doing it, so he's out. (I voted for him anyway before thinking about this)

Chris Stewart probably gets traded at the draft because Tim Murray wants desperately to get back into round 1 for some guy I've never heard of.

Tyler Myers will always have his defenders because he's a giant and has all the skill in the world. I still question his hockey IQ, but I probably feel similarly to Tim Murray in that he's probably a 2nd pairing guy long term or on another team when a good opportunity arises. I think he'll remain just good enough to avoid whipping boy distinction.

Christian Ehrhoff is really good at hockey, but he's German and people hate that so probably him. He's also likely to continue to play apathetically while the team is really bad, which is good for the tank but probably bad for him.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Honestly with a team this bad I expect we'll see blame portioned out reasonably

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Drew Stafford is probably gonna play with our 18 year old golden goose next year and look pretty competent doing it, so he's out. (I voted for him anyway before thinking about this)

Chris Stewart probably gets traded at the draft because Tim Murray wants desperately to get back into round 1 for some guy I've never heard of.

Tyler Myers will always have his defenders because he's a giant and has all the skill in the world. I still question his hockey IQ, but I probably feel similarly to Tim Murray in that he's probably a 2nd pairing guy long term or on another team when a good opportunity arises. I think he'll remain just good enough to avoid whipping boy distinction.

Christian Ehrhoff is really good at hockey, but he's German and people hate that so probably him. He's also likely to continue to play apathetically while the team is really bad, which is good for the tank but probably bad for him.

I hope they've learned by now that he and Ennis should play together. If they do keep Cody at LW, I'd be interested to see a Hodgson-Ennis-Stafford line. I'd also like to see Stewart on a line with Sam/Leon.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan

What?

I'll say Stafford. He's already been one of the whipping boys of the past. I don't really see that changing.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I think Ehrhoff is the favorite. Euro, money is an issue, probably doesn't want to be on a bad team and gets noticeably lazy at times. I think he avoided scorn last year because we assumed he was here forever, which is not the case anymore. If he has a bad stretch, open the floodgates.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Terry Pegula.

Meh, Pegula is in the fans good graces for the most part. Unless you are talking about TBN's whipping boy, then Pegula is your man.

If this rebuild bombs out and the Sabres become the Oilers/NYI and are perpetual bottom feeders, then Pegula will be in trouble.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Personally, I don't think Stewart or Ehrhoff will be around much longer and I think Stafford will continue with solid play under Nolan, even if it's modest scoring.

My prediction is that Hodgson will descend into the whipping boy for underperforming and not improving on any of his deficiencies. The other candidate may be Weber, although it's hard to see him getting too much ice time (and therefore, attention from spectators) as the 5th/6th defenseman.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
haha I'm saying people be xenophobes. Buffalo's not as bad as say... Boston, but I've heard my fair share of it. The myth that Thomas Vanek is lazy probably being the most prevalent.

I don't buy it in this particular case. Plenty of American and Canadian players have been considered lazy by the Buffalo fan base. Vanek absolutely did loaf around for large stretches. There's also anecdotal evidence that his conditioning is subpar.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
It wouldn't surprise me to see Hodgson be that guy if he gets off to a slow start.

However, im expecting him to find the back of the net a lot more this year on the wing,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad