Speculation: Which UFAs will Seattle "draft"?

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
I know everyone thinks Seattle will take their 5 million dollar aging defenseman for a 3rd rounder, but I think Seattle is going to draft more UFAs than people expect and use their cap space there. Guys like Danault and Saad I would not be suprised at all if Seattle tries to sign in their exclusive window. What are some other UFAs Seattle could draft?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Drafting a potential UFA seems a waste of a choice.
Like Seattle would be stupid to pass over Allen (who's saved habs ass the entire season and kept the team in some games that we should have been destroyed).
Then can easily flip Allen for something if they want.

If some Ufas are not signed by the day the expansion is going through then I think Seattle will have a pitch for players like Danault if they are not signed at this moment.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know everyone thinks Seattle will take their 5 million dollar aging defenseman for a 3rd rounder, but I think Seattle is going to draft more UFAs than people expect and use their cap space there. Guys like Danault and Saad I would not be suprised at all if Seattle tries to sign in their exclusive window. What are some other UFAs Seattle could draft?
Seattle, per Expansion rules have to draft 20 players who combined for 60% of the $81.5 mill cap floor, which is around $49 million, who actually have a contract in place for 21-22 season, so even taking an un-signed RFA for 21-22 would not count towards that number.

Seattle can do whatever they want after they secure those 20 players for $49 mill.

Their AHL club's new arena in Palm Springs won't be ready until Q4 in 2022. But, I have not heard of them coming to an agreement to share an AHL affiliate with another NHL club. Seattle does need to get enough guys to ensure that they have enough capable bodies to call up should they have injuries next season. Whether they choose depth guys in the ED or sign them in free agency, that's their call.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Drafting a potential UFA seems a waste of a choice.
Like Seattle would be stupid to pass over Allen (who's saved habs ass the entire season and kept the team in some games that we should have been destroyed).
Then can easily flip Allen for something if they want.

If some Ufas are not signed by the day the expansion is going through then I think Seattle will have a pitch for players like Danault if they are not signed at this moment.
I think Habs fans are the only ones that are certain Seattle would take Allen, I don't see that as a sure thing at all.

If I'm them, I roll with Vanacek or Khudobin, they could be very solid starters. Allen has his uses, but at 4.3m I don't get it. Then again, I didn't understand why MTL acquired a 4.3m backup for a 10m starter in the first place.

edit: ahh ok, missed the extension. That makes more sense.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think there's a chance they'll draft Derek Ryan. Similar to what Vegas did with Engelland.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think Habs fans are the only ones that are certain Seattle would take Allen, I don't see that as a sure thing at all.

If I'm them, I roll with Vanacek or Khudobin, they could be very solid starters. Allen has his uses, but at 4.3m I don't get it. Then again, I didn't understand why MTL acquired a 4.3m backup for a 10m starter in the first place.

He's making 2.875 next year

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

1- First thing first , every teams are looking for backup this season Allen is easily tradeable even if they had to pick 3 goalies. Edmonton has Koskinen and 39year olds Mike Smith saving their season. I bet they would take Allen no question asked.

2- Montreal went for Allen because in the last years when Price was injured or we needed someone to replace Price's for a game due to fatigue . We had Kinkaid , Lindgren , Niemi , Montoya ETC. Goalies that went .850 with 4.00GAA allowed. making Price play more games over and over without having an actual backup if Price was out. Price was injured this year twice and Allen even tho his stats dropped lately managed to give a chance to a terrible habs team (and 1 of the worst dsquad in the league).

3- Also Allen is only signed for 4.3m this season and has been extended already for 2 years at 2.875m which any team who wants a goalie tha can play 30-40 games in an entire season a fair price. Which make it really Seattle to pick him and easily get a good asset for him.

Reactions: montreal

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

they wont be taking any UFAs

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Khudobin is 35 signed at 3.333M X 2 with a .906
Allen is 30 signed at 2.875M X 2 with a .909

If you are going to bring in Vanacek (a 25 year old with 35 games of experience) to be in your tandem its probably better to have a guy that has been a starter in the league before. Everyone loved Khudobin's run last post-season, but that doesn't change that he is 35 years old and has never really been a starter.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
New Jersey's exposed list probably won't have too many desirable options. If it were me:

F(7): Hischier-Zacha-Bratt-Kuokkanen-Sharangovich-Wood-McLeod
D(3): Severson-Subban-Siegenthaler
G(1): Blackwood

Exempt: Hughes-Boqvist-Maltsev-Smith (plus other guys on their ELCs)
Exposed: Johnsson-Bastian-Merkley-Butcher (among others)

Johnsson/Butcher are a bit pricy for what they bring. Bastian is a decent 4th liner but doesn't have a ton of upside. Merkley has cleared waivers and hasn't been able to carve out a permanent spot. One option would be for Seattle to draft impending UFA Ryan Murray instead. Murray played his junior hockey ~30 minutes north of Seattle in Everett. He's still young enough to offer a multiyear deal.

Naturally they could wait until free agency to pursue Murray, but as others pointed out Vegas took impending UFA Deryk Engelland in their expansion draft rather than some other aged out prospect from Calgary's list.

Last edited:
Reactions: G Backup

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007

Allen is signed for $2.8m ish so a likely draft

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
Seattle, per Expansion rules have to draft 20 players who combined for 60% of the $81.5 mill cap floor, which is around $49 million, who actually have a contract in place for 21-22 season, so even taking an un-signed RFA for 21-22 would not count towards that number.

Seattle can do whatever they want after they secure those 20 players for $49 mill.

My understanding if that if Seattle were to draft someone like Danault as a UFA and sign him to a contract before UFA season officially opened, that contract would count toward the 60%. I think that's what this says, but the wording isn't clear to me. The Curious Role Of UFAs In The Expansion Draft - SinBin.vegas

Reactions: RogerRoger

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Probably none unless there's a deal for an extension.
They get exclusive time to come to an agreement on a deal. If they aren't signed, they aren't picked, and Seattle picks someone else from the roster rfa or signed.

Taylor Hall would be an interesting choice, former first overall, obviously not the same as his MVP year, but would immediately give them a franchise face. Although at least listening to Hall, that's not what he wants in his life, but you really never know with him.

*Not advocating that they do that, but Hall has had an interesting career path and choices.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Isn't the expansion draft prior to UFA signing date?

I thought lots of teams made it so players contracts expire this year so as to make them uneligible to Seattle.

Maybe I'm wrong

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The only reason you pick a ufa is nothing is better than to acquire a player off that roster. I doubt there are any situations like this.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Per the other thread, while Saad and Danault would be worth talking to for Seattle, they will also have to keep in mind that both Montreal and Colorado are teams where they likely have pretty good picks available already. If it's Graves or one of the forwards on Colorado, or Allen on Montreal, they already have pretty good options on those teams.

But each time I do the Seattle draft, I find a definite lack of top-6 forwards. Defense is pretty deep, goaltending options are there, and there are a ton of depth forwards. But finding scoring is going to be a challenge and they very much should pursue the UFA option there.

If RNH was an unprotected UFA, they should definitely target him because Edmonton has slim pickings otherwise. Jaden Schwartz, Mikael Granlund. You could ask Hall, but I would guess he is still chasing big money and contention so wooing him to sign with a Seattle team will probably turn out to be problematic.

It's definitely something Seattle should be looking at, anyway. If they can get 2 top-6 forwards that way, it'll help a lot.

Reactions: Piffle

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
But each time I do the Seattle draft, I find a definite lack of top-6 forwards. Defense is pretty deep, goaltending options are there, and there are a ton of depth forwards. But finding scoring is going to be a challenge and they very much should pursue the UFA option there.

A shortage of top-6 forwards is exactly what I see, and why I think we could see Seattle go after a few of those UFAs. They'll have to be pretty aggressive somewhere to fill out the top-6, and I hope it isn't overpaid rubbish from other teams just to fill slots.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think Oleksiak is a guy Seattle might try to sign. If he agrees they could pick him in the expansion draft. Stars signed players available won't be too enticing albeit i like Jason Dickinson .

Last edited:

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I think Oleksiak is a guy Seattle might try to sign. If he agrees they could in the expansion draft. Stars picks won't be too enticing albeit i like Jason Dickinson .

Oleksiak is very underrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad