Which trio would you rather start a franchise with?

Which trio would you rather start a franchise with?

• Total voters

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm comparing them individually and there isnt much of an argument, if any, for choosing McDavid, Draisitail and Klefbom over prime Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

Crosby>McDavid
Malkin>>Draisaitl
Letang>>Klefbom

But, since this poll is evaluating the players based on their current age, it makes obvious sense to go with Edmonton. If everyone was coming out of the draft, this wouldn't even be a debate.

Your blind homerism never fails to amuse.
I'm just saying the Oilers are trash at the draft table. If they were able to draft the supporting cast like the Pens did from 10 years (draw whatever abritrary line you want) before they won in 2009 I think things look different. Oiler fans can cry 2015 all they want they are horrible at drafting while the Pens kept drafting NHLers all over the draft board. Depth has been a key component to team success of Cup champions. The Max Talbots, Tyler Kennedy, Jake Guentzel, Matt Murray, etc etc etc make a huge differnce. Winning matters in these types of opinion polls. Crosby has been put in a far better position to succeed. Better players around you also give you better stats.

Mar 26, 2010
It's close cause Marner is way better than Horvat and that gap will only grow. I just think Pettersson's ceiling is way higher than Matthews and Hughes' ceiling is way higher than Rielly.
Pettersson better than Matthews? Come on, just Absurd...straight up.

Matthews is a few tiers above. Not even close. Pettersson is a career 20 odd goal scorer, most overrated player in the NHL today.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
I never said he was better than Matthews I just think his ceiling is way higher. Also I think you're saying the overrated thing because your feelings are hurt that it is pretty consensus that the most overrated player in the league is Matthews lol.

Mar 26, 2010
I never said he was better than Matthews I just think his ceiling is way higher. Also I think you're saying the overrated thing because your feelings are hurt that it is pretty consensus that the most overrated player in the league is Matthews lol.
Matthews is not overrated. No one with hockey sense says that. Just Vancouver and Edmonton fans cry and chirp him.

Matthews is the best young scorer in the NHL today. The kid would have hit 55-60 goals this season if not for the stoppage.

Keep your 20 goal scorer. Willy Nylander is better than him lol.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Matthews is a few tiers above. Not even close. Pettersson is a career 20 odd goal scorer, most overrated player in the NHL today.

Most overhyped 66 point player of all time.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Klfebom is the weak link for the Oilers so it makes this a toss-up. Boeser should have been piece 2 for Vancouver, not Horvat.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Who are the other 66 point players and where do you think Petterson ranks?

Matthews is not overrated. No one with hockey sense says that. Just Vancouver and Edmonton fans cry and chirp him.

Matthews is the best young scorer in the NHL today. The kid would have hit 55-60 goals this season if not for the stoppage.

And you dont see anything similar in your posts about Pettersson?

Just in this post alone, Matthews is credited with an extra 8-13 goals for his 12 games missed, while Pettersson gets 7 of his goals taken away, while missing 14 games.

I can only assume that logic and solid reasoning is what led to your conclusions :nod:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
If they are all young, pens, not close
If its expansion Atlanta (hot garbage) at current ages, then mcd
If its expansion vegas at current age then pens, not close. 3 veteran winners still at the top of their game beats youth/potential

Reactions: sanscosm

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No. That would have been like calling Matthews a 73 point player before this year. Equally dishonest.
It’s just as delusional to call EP a 66 point player when the season was cut short by a virus.
We know you are going to pick the Leafs in every poll regardless.

Laminator

May 25, 2014
If they are all rookies, I will go with the three that have won 3 Stanley cups in their careers. Also have made the playoffs for the past 15 seasons.

Reactions: sanscosm

Mar 26, 2010
Who are the other 66 point players and where do you think Petterson ranks?

And you dont see anything similar in your posts about Pettersson?

Just in this post alone, Matthews is credited with an extra 8-13 goals for his 12 games missed, while Pettersson gets 7 of his goals taken away, while missing 14 games.

I can only assume that logic and solid reasoning is what led to your conclusions :nod:
Matthews is a multiple 40 + goal scorer at 22 yo. How is that logic for you?

Pettersson is a 20 odd goal scorer. Or you want to ignore that?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

So William Nylander is better than Pettersson

But Nylander has never reached 66 points once,

Ground breaking logic in this thread. I feel smarter already.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Mar 26, 2010
So William Nylander is better than Pettersson

But Nylander has never reached 66 points once,

Ground breaking logic in this thread. I feel smarter already.
Nylander is way stronger and better than Pettersson. He scored over 30 goals this season before it was cut short and was on pace for 40 goals. Willy is a beast.

Pettersson is soft.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Nylander is way stronger and better than Pettersson. He scored over 30 goals this season before it was cut short and was on pace for 40 goals. Willy is a beast.

Pettersson is soft.

Come on now.

There’s no evidence to support this.

Petterson was on pace for 80 points in his second season in the league and is a good two-way player.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Pettersson is soft.

I thought soft was getting paid $12,000,000 for 27 points last year

But hey, thats just me

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Current age: Edmonton>Col>Toronto>Pitts>Van

Edmonton and Colorado are clearly ahead. Colorado and Edmonton are somewhat close only because Klefom is the odd-man out between those two teams. But you can't deny McDavid's world-class talent. He's the best player in the league by a fair margin.

Toronto would be closer but I'm factoring in contracts here, and because of that they belong in the next tier to me. Furthermore, because of the contract situation, Pitts closes a lot of the gap Toronto might have had due to age .....Toronto/Pitts are very close. Even at Crosby/Malkin's age.

I have Van on the outside, I'm not particularly high on their core, and I don't think any single player in that group is a transcendent talent, whereas every other team on here has at least one. Pettersson is the player that can make that jump, but it's the most difficult jump to make.

If we're talking at any age, Pitts by far....they have cups to show with their core

Mar 26, 2010
I thought soft was getting paid $12,000,000 for 27 points last year

But hey, thats just me
He played half the season, and came in out of shape.

How many goals did Pettersson score this season again? How many did Willy score..... :popcorn:

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
He played half the season, and came in out of shape.

How many goals did Pettersson score this season again? How many did Willy score..... :popcorn:
What about Marner if goals are so important? I mean come on man it’s clear Petterrson is a great player. You can stop bashing every other teams players to try to make yours look better. The leafs have some great players too, you don’t need to be so bitter all the time.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Matthews is a multiple 40 + goal scorer at 22 yo. How is that logic for you?

Pettersson is a 20 odd goal scorer. Or you want to ignore that?

I haven't ignored anything and I dont care who's better or how many goals Matthews scored. My point is that you are being dishonest in your application of stats and it's obvious for everyone to see. You use pace for your players but not your "rivals" or whatever it is that they are to you.

Another example below..

Pettersson is soft.

Once again, you use pace for one of your players, but have not for Pettersson.. while not even getting that right. Nylander paced for 37 this year..

You keep calling Pettersson a 20 odd goal scorer, but here in the real world, he has paced for 32 goals in both seasons he has played in.

I get that you dont like him, but dude..

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Voted Pens but that voted changes if it’s current ages and not for their whole careers. Also, unclear if their current contracts are part of the equation.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Assuming all are rookies,
Pens
Oilers
Colorado

I think the top three are pretty clear cut.
Vancouver and Toronto a bit below imo.

If it’s current players though I’d drop the Pens down a fair amount. Maybe to last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad