Which trio would you rather start a franchise with?

Which trio would you rather start a franchise with?

• Total voters

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
At their current age easily Edmonton.

1. Edmonton
2. Colorado
3. Vancouver
4. Toronto
5. Pittsburgh

If all the players were magically 21 then I'd probably still go Edmonton but it would be

1. Edmonton
2. Pittsburgh
3. Colorado
4. Vancouver
5. Toronto

lol vancouver 3rd with a dude named horvat who is easily the worst forward here and not a single player who has ever been ppg?

nah they are the worst by far

Reactions: bobholly39

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Edmonton (even though Klefbom is either the worst dman here by far)
Colorado (Slight edge over TO due to emergency of a legit dman in Makar)
Toronto
Pitty (just because they guys are all 33+)
Vancouver (doesnt even belong in the poll. Petey has potential but hasnt hit 30g or ppg yet. Horvat is a 60pt 2C that doesnt belong here. Hughes will be a stud but doesnt make up the large disparity between elite forward combos like mcd/drai,nate/rant and am/marns and petey/horvat)

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Edmonton (even though Klefbom is either the worst dman here by far)
Colorado (Slight edge over TO due to emergency of a legit dman in Makar)
Toronto
Pitty (just because they guys are all 33+)
Vancouver (doesnt even belong in the poll. Petey has potential but hasnt hit 30g or ppg yet. Horvat is a 60pt 2C that doesnt belong here. Hughes will be a stud but doesnt make up the large disparity between elite forward combos like mcd/drai,nate/rant and am/marns and petey/horvat)
Toronto 3rd ?

Says a lot coming from you.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Well considering the paper clip doesnt fit with your analogy I'm not sure. If it's a totally different material, it doesnt really make sense to have it on the same grading scale as steel.

That's like having 5 students getting A/A+ in post grad classes and teaming two of them with someone who got C+ on grade four math. Doesnt make sense from a comparative POV. I'd also argue the paper clip wouldnt be an NHL player so. I think you're getting a little out into left field.

Regardless, I'd say the part that would break first would be goaltending. As shown by both of these teams bahaha.
There have been a lot of dumb arguments on this site but you guys have just cracked the top 10.

CONGRATULATIONS!:banana::hockey::fight::handclap::towel:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Current age: Edmonton>Col>Toronto>Pitts>Van

Edmonton and Colorado are clearly ahead. Colorado and Edmonton are somewhat close only because Klefom is the odd-man out between those two teams. But you can't deny McDavid's world-class talent. He's the best player in the league by a fair margin.

Toronto would be closer but I'm factoring in contracts here, and because of that they belong in the next tier to me. Furthermore, because of the contract situation, Pitts closes a lot of the gap Toronto might have had due to age .....Toronto/Pitts are very close. Even at Crosby/Malkin's age.

I have Van on the outside, I'm not particularly high on their core, and I don't think any single player in that group is a transcendent talent, whereas every other team on here has at least one. Pettersson is the player that can make that jump, but it's the most difficult jump to make.

If we're talking at any age, Pitts by far....they have cups to show with their core
How is Hughes not a possible transcendent talent? The kid is incredible.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
If all are rookies, easily pens.

The oilers seem to be getting over rated. Klefbom is a major weak link in that trio.

Aves trio for current players.

Reactions: Schred

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Realistically it’s between Edmonton, Pitts and Colorado if we are looking at rookies.
I don’t see how anyone could reasonably pick Toronto and Van here tbh. Neither has a player as good as McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Drai, or Mack.
On D I think Makar and Hughes end up the best even though Letang has had an amazing career. I don’t see Reilly as being at the same level as those three end up despite his great year last year and same for Klefblom.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Eh? The poll also includes Marner and Rantanen as options. So there are some C+W+D options.

The stats indicate Horvat’s ‘versatility’ is vastly overrated (ie he is pretty poor defensively and offensively at ES), meanwhile Boeser is quite underrated in this regard. Would personally rather start a franchise with Boeser than Horvat, regardless of what the majority thinks.

Horvat is at least versatile as a C or could play wing, and he plays both special teams. He's just the more versatile player overall, even if his "two way ability" is overstated. I'd start a team with Horvat over Boeser, every single day, and twice on Sundays.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don’t see how anyone could reasonably pick Toronto and Van here tbh. Neither has a player as good as McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Drai, or Mack.
On D I think Makar and Hughes end up the best even though Letang has had an amazing career. I don’t see Reilly as being at the same level as those three end up despite his great year last year and same for Klefblom.
Why are you picking rookie defensemen over established star defensemen, but then at the same time dismissing the superior trajectory of the pre-prime forwards you claim are "not as good"?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There is no rational reason to take the Leafs trio first.

You'd have to be both very high on Rielly and not fully sold on Drai to do so, since Edmonton is the easy choice. I think a year ago with the season Rielly was having, some people were sky high on him as a future norris, maybe multiple time norris winner. And some people around here for some reason still are not fully sold on Drai being as good as his results indicate.

But - you shouldn't pick on the Leafs. They're a much, much better choice than Vancouver for starters. With Colorado it's close on forwards, but Makar probably gives them an edge over Rielly.

Pittsburgh's a bit weird - if they're rookies, they're easy #1 overall. If it's today...well you can probably still make an argument for them if you're in "win now" mode

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Realistically it’s between Edmonton, Pitts and Colorado if we are looking at rookies.

Crosby/McDavid same tier with Malkin on a similar level (or close let's say).
Drai may be raising himself to a higher tier with his past season, but let's wait and see if it's a fluke or if he can maintain that. Mack - also great, but not on tier 1 guys either. I'd bump Matthews up to their tier. I think it's absolutely still up in the air who of those 3 end up with better career.

Marner/Ranta - both great, but a tier below those 3 C's.

So roughly i'd say:

Crosby/Malkin > McDavid/Drai. Letang > Klefbom is very easy too, so easy edge to Pitt (if rookies).
McDavid/Drai >> Any other 2 forwards. Enough so that you pick them first, even if Klef is worst than other D.
Mack/Ranta ~ Marner/Matthews. To me - Makar > Rielly is an easy case as I think Makar will be great - but others who are very high on Reilly or slightly unsure about Makar moving forward may disagree, and prefer Leafs.

Vancouver dead last. EP could end up great - but until he materializes he's easily the worst "best" player here. And Horvat is also a very weak link. No real case for them over any other trio.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Horvat is at least versatile as a C or could play wing, and he plays both special teams. He's just the more versatile player overall, even if his "two way ability" is overstated. I'd start a team with Horvat over Boeser, every single day, and twice on Sundays.

He may be more versatile but he's the worst player out of the two, imo. I feel with Boeser the best is yet to come and Horvat is so vastly overrated by our fanbase it's comical. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
and why are we looking at rookies? OP says it is for Seattle expansion so it would be 2 yrs from now. Its really between COL and EDM. COL may get the nod because lesser cap hit and 3 franchise players.
Edmonton with Klefbom may not be as enticing for a new franchise despite McDrai. Cant go wrong with McDavid though.

Not sure why Klefbom was chosen as Oilers Dman. Could have easily been Nurse, Bouchard or even Bear instead if its about Seattle starting its franchise.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
and why are we looking at rookies? OP says it is for Seattle expansion so it would be 2 yrs from now. Its really between COL and EDM. COL may get the nod because lesser cap hit and 3 franchise players.
Edmonton with Klefbom may not be as enticing for a new franchise despite McDrai. Cant go wrong with McDavid though.

Not sure why Klefbom was chosen as Oilers Dman. Could have easily been Nurse, Bouchard or even Bear instead if its about Seattle starting its franchise.
Fair point. If it’s in two years I’d go:
Edmonton
Colorado
Toronto/Van
Pitts
I like the forwards for Edmonton the best and the D man for Colorado and Vancouver.

Reactions: Draiskull

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2