Which trio would you build a team around?

Which trio would you build a team around?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kraken

Jun 30, 2021
cut.jpeg

Attachments

• cut.jpeg
    cut.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Lua

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hmmm...this is actually a tough one. If i viewed Fox in the same light as most seem to, it'd be an easy slam dunk for that Horvat/Fox/Sorokin trio (and i expect them to run away with this). But for me, Heiskanen and McAvoy are a cut above, so that complicates it.

Jarry is the clear weak link among the Goaltenders, by a pretty substantial margin. And Reinhart for me, is the real weak link among the Forwards.

Sorokin/Demko are close enough to a wash for me...it pretty much comes down to whether Horvat is better than Reinhart by a big enough degree, and has the positional value as edge as a true Center to offset Heiskanen vs Fox. That's a tough one. I could really go either way, but in a vacuum...i think i just take the Reinhart/Heiskanen/Demko trio, and assume i'm going to be able to get Reinhart the sort of offensive minutes and top PP opportunity to post his points and contribute enough to close the gap on Horvat. But tomorrow, i'll probably waffle to the Horvat/Fox/Sorokin trio. :dunno:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
You just HAD to throw 1 person in each trio I really could care less to have hey??lol

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tough one. Heiskanen and McAvoy would be my top two D here and Demko and Sorokin the two top goalies with the forwards pretty much a wash although I prefer Horvat because of his position and size. I think Horvat, Fox and Sorokin provide the best balance.

Last edited:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Forwards it’s probably nylander > Reinhart = Horvat
Nylander has out produced both of them over the past two years, and whilst both are centers neither is anything special defensively.

Defencemen it’s fox > McAvoy > Heiskanen
Fox won the Norris and was outstanding on the Rangers

Heiskanen had a down year, as did his team

McAvoy is elite defensively, but his offence isn’t on fox’s level. From his PPTOI, it seems gryzleyk gets the first PP, so maybe playing him top PP can elevate his offence.

Goalies is a two way battle it’s Sorokin >= Demko >>> Jarry
jarry is incosistent and is coming off a terrible playoffs

Demko had a very solid year but was not amazing the previous year, however he has the best track record

Sorokin was very sold as well in his rookie year, but how much of it is him, and how much is it due to the islanders amazing defence? I’d give him the edge as he had better stats, whilst on a better team, but in a much tougher division.

With 2/3 categories being won IMO, it’s the Horvat/Fox/Sorokin

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Forwards it’s probably nylander > Reinhart = Horvat
Nylander has out produced both of them over the past two years, and whilst both are centers neither is anything special defensively.

Defencemen it’s fox > McAvoy > Heiskanen
Fox won the Norris and was outstanding on the Rangers

Heiskanen had a down year, as did his team

McAvoy is elite defensively, but his offence isn’t on fox’s level. From his PPTOI, it seems gryzleyk gets the first PP, so maybe playing him top PP can elevate his offence.

Goalies is a two way battle it’s Sorokin >= Demko >>> Jarry
jarry is incosistent and is coming off a terrible playoffs

Demko had a very solid year but was not amazing the previous year, however he has the best track record

Sorokin was very sold as well in his rookie year, but how much of it is him, and how much is it due to the islanders amazing defence? I’d give him the edge as he had better stats, whilst on a better team, but in a much tougher division.

With 2/3 categories being won IMO, it’s the Horvat/Fox/Sorokin

Horvat is around or above Nylander level. Nylander has played with much better linemates in his career, on a far higher offensive team in general. While Horvat isnt selke level, hes better than Nylander in this regard, and plays far tougher minutes in general. He also put up 10 goals last season in the playoffs in 17 games.

As for Demko, not sure how you can say he wasnt amazing last season considering what he did in the playoffs last year almost taking the Canucks singlehandedly on his own against Vegas putting up a Vezina level performance and replaced Markstrom. He nearly broke Vegas on his own, that alone puts him ahead of Sorokin. Demko>Sorokin.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Horvat is around or above Nylander level. Nylander has played with much better linemates in his career, on a far higher offensive team in general. While Horvat isnt selke level, hes better than Nylander in this regard, and plays far tougher minutes in general. He also put up 10 goals last season in the playoffs in 17 games.

As for Demko, not sure how you can say he wasnt amazing last season considering what he did in the playoffs last year almost taking the Canucks singlehandedly on his own against Vegas putting up a Vezina level performance and replaced Markstrom. He nearly broke Vegas on his own, that alone puts him ahead of Sorokin. Demko>Sorokin.

I had nylander ahead of Horvat because Horvat played 3 more minutes and still under produced nylander. Horvat has been used more in the defensive zone, however his defense has been average at best this year and with his minutes reduced, so has nylander. Horvats most common lineups I’m guessing were pearson and hoglander vs nylanders Tavares and X(sometimes mikheyev was Vesey at one point Simmonds a bit and ended at Galchenyuk), Horvat has the clear advantage here I agree. So that is something to consider

However, Relative to ice time, nylander out chanced, out produced, had more point shares, was on the ice for less 5 on 5 goals against. Even last year when nylander player like a 1st line winger, he outchanced out produced and gave up less than Horvat. His per/60 stats are all superior. Nylander is superior in most faucets in the game, but I do agree his linemates this season were better. During the playoffs, nylander played with kerfoot and Galchenyuk and scored 5 goals in 7 games.
Overall I’d still say nylander > Horvat, but i don't have a problem with nylander = Horvat.

As for the goaltenders, It’s very close for me

Demko almost broke Vegas, but during that regular season he had a .905 and was a the backup to markstrom. this year he had a .915 which was the 3rd best in the north (27 games min), off the top of my head. He started off bad like the rest of the team, but I think picked it up starting March. He was very good but kind of fel off at the end pf
Sorokin had a .918 in a 1B role as a rookie and he even outplayed varlamov in the first round to beat the penguins, maybe it’s recency bias as I haven’t seen demko play in a while, but Sorokin was very good these playoffs as well. I found Sorokin had very stable technique and his movements were fluid.
This ones pretty tough so I’ll just go with the basic answer of Demko = Sorokin

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
1-3 pts by position (lower being better)

Nylander/Horvat/Reinhart
Fox/Professor X/Heiskanen
Sorokin/Demko/Jarry

So
Option 3 = 4pts
Option 1 = 6pts
Option 2 = 8pts

Nuanced version I think Jarry is the worst player here, so that hurts option 1 compared to option 2. I think McAvoy and Heis are close, but Fox is a clear bit a head. I'm split on Demko and Sorokin for whose better, but switching them won't change my ranking. Difference between Nyander and Reinhart is bigger than the difference between McAvoy and Heis IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad