Which trade made your jaw drop more?

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
The Subban trade for sure. Forsberg's name had been associated with the Predators for weeks leading up to the trade deadline. My jaw still dropped, but for very different reasons. No one saw Weber being traded.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The Subban trade for sure. Forsberg's name had been associated with the Predators for weeks leading up to the trade deadline. My jaw still dropped, but for very different reasons. No one saw Weber being traded.
Yup. For a few reasons, I could make the case that Jones for Johansen was more jaw dropping than Forsberg from a purely hockey standpoint.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'll never forget ANY of these trades.

I was actually pen pals of sorts with Eklund's source back when the Kariya thing happened so I was given a little bit of a heads up there. I was still surprised when it happened, though.

Forsberg was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't surprised that we signed him given that particular team makeup, but still it was Peter Forsberg coming to the Predators and that was a thrill.

Seth for Johansen--a surprise. I didn't see that coming at all.

But none of them hold a candle to the trade of Weber for Subban. Never in a million years would I have anticipated that. I am still feeling the giddiness over this one almost 3 weeks later--and I really liked Shea Weber, too.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Oooh, that's close.

Jaw drop? Filip because what a lopsided trade that was--and we knew it then!
Exciting? Peter because he was a star.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Subban

Everyone knew Forsberg was being dealt by Philly at the deadline. It was just a matter of which contender would pony up.

As for the FF for Erat - everyone knew we were sellers, so it was a little surprising that deal went down, but we know there were moves to be made.

But the Subban for Weber trade was jaw dropping, even more so considering we're a pretty conservative franchise, the cap recapture nonsense we'll have to deal with, the fact that Weber was the face of the franchise and a guy signed to a ludicrous contract.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I thought this was going to be Weber/Subban vs. Jones/Johannson

Me too. That trade really didn't shock me though. We had excess defensemen, had a need for a 1C and the Jackets were openly shopping him. The only question was if some other team was going to give them an offer they liked before we did but there were rumors around Johansen to Nashville for a few weeks leading up to the deal.

The Weber deal came out of nowhere. That was a huge shock.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Yeah, from a "which was the bigger surprise" standpoint, it's Subban/Weber for sure. Both Jones/Johansen and Forsberg/package had been rumored for quite a while leading up to those trades. They were both at least acknowledged possibilities. Subban/Weber was out of nowhere. Completely blindsided me. The Erat/Forsberg trade was equally out of nowhere but it wasn't close to the scope of the Subban/Weber trade.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I'll never forget ANY of these trades.

I was actually pen pals of sorts with Eklund's source back when the Kariya thing happened so I was given a little bit of a heads up there. I was still surprised when it happened, though.

The most surprising thing for me would be if Eklund was ever right more than 2% of the time. I'll never understand anyone taking him a bit seriously.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
The most surprising thing for me would be if Eklund was ever right more than 2% of the time. I'll never understand anyone taking him a bit seriously.

That was during the 2005 lockout--it was even pre Hockeybuzz days--and I think we were just starving for any information. Pete Weber was talking him up, he was a former Nashvillian of sorts (worked in media of some sort) and the E(5)'s hadn't started yet.

My pen pal was a reporter with the Toronto Globe and Mail and he heard stuff. A lot more stuff than we would ever hear in Nashville back then. I forget his real name but he went by Shadow on the blog.

He was interested in the fact that there were actually hockey fans from the south and that I had an animation company. The friendship blossomed during the World Games. I wanted scores and details and wasn't getting anything out of Nashville or ESPN. The newspaper was getting all the feeds, so he let me know the scores as they happened. He told me that the Lockout was ending--and it did. Around the beginning of July he was hinting to me that Kariya was considering signing here. I told Absey, who promptly told me I was FOS and that would never happen. :laugh: Anyway, it did come to pass so I felt like he was a pretty good source. We lost contact at some point--can't remember now if it was when he left TG&M or the blog.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
While the PK-Weber trade was a surprise. It is not even close to having Peter Forsberg in a Preds sweater. Even though he was pretty much done with his career at the time and was playing on a gimpy ankle. He is still Peter Forsberg a NHL Hall of Famer that wore a Pred sweater for a while. And until Karyia is voted in he remains the only HOF player to have ever worn our sweater.

Just because the Weber trade is recent I understand why many voted that way but its not even close. There still no guarantee that Weber or Subban will ever make the Hall.

My personal opinion
1. Peter Forsberg
2. Poile getting FF9 for Erat.
3. Poile getting a pick for Vesey's rights
4. Paul Karyia even an injured rehab project signing with the Preds
5. Weber-Subban trade. Why because they were both superstars in there own cities. What was a little suprising that Poile actully did pull the trigger despite the inevitable cap recapture.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
While the PK-Weber trade was a surprise. It is not even close to having Peter Forsberg in a Preds sweater. Even though he was pretty much done with his career at the time and was playing on a gimpy ankle. He is still Peter Forsberg a NHL Hall of Famer that wore a Pred sweater for a while. And until Karyia is voted in he remains the only HOF player to have ever worn our sweater.

Just because the Weber trade is recent I understand why many voted that way but its not even close. There still no guarantee that Weber or Subban will ever make the Hall.

My personal opinion
1. Peter Forsberg
5. Weber-Subban trade. Why because they were both superstars in there own cities. What was a little suprising that Poile actully did pull the trigger despite the inevitable cap recapture.

I don't think people voted for Weber because it was more recent. I think it was because many felt Weber was the most unmovable player in the league from a contract standpoint. Weber like Hartnell has a poison pill contract (last half of what's remaining). Not to mention the recapture penalties should he retire early. And he was the face of the franchise for so many years. I think all of these combined are what made the Weber trade rank as the #1 jaw dropping trade, especially because to the public, it came out of no where.

People expected Weber to be one of the first players to play his entire career with Nashville. Only other player that I may do this is Pekka.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY

My personal opinion
1. Peter Forsberg

I agree with you that Forsberg putting on a Preds sweater was something special, but it wasn't that surprising when the trade was announced. Everyone knew Forsberg was getting traded by the deadline & Nashville had been reported as one of the likely destinations.

Trading for Forsberg had me running around my college apartment screaming, but the Subban trade literally made my jaw drop, which is what the OP asked.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Yes the OP asked for jaw dropping and while a surprise trade Subban for Weber was a blockbuster NHL wise. But the value was pretty close. Now if we had traded Weber to the Habs for lets say Mark Barberio or we had got Subban for Bitetto either of those are jaw dropping. Thats why FF9 for Erat was rated higher IMO too. None of us thought we would get that caliber of a prospect for Erat.

It will be special to see PK in a Preds sweater but knowing he replaced Weber another top 10 guy in the league its just not the same. I am not knocking your fanmanship or your youthful age but after watching Foppa for years it was more than special that night down at the glass when he skated out with that 21 for the pregame skate. There were a number of people that post here there with me that night I recall Doc, 303 guy, Predperson, and Nerdo, WFOME was there too I think and ADZY that might well have been my favorite moment in being a fan since 1980. As huge as experience I could imagine. Unless we somehow find a way to snag one of the current HOF guys before they leave there prime.

Someone earlier posted about untradeable guys. This was something I pointed out a couple years ago when I wanted to trade Weber before we paid the last two bonuses we paid. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS UNTRADEABLE in sports. There are many here that thought that of the captian, the face of the franchise, the first to be drafted and retire a Pred or any of the other reason. Someone also pointed out that the contract is the reason Weber was traded in a joking way. Well it is really not that funny when you consider the trade. We got a guy for 2mil more over the rest of there contracts thats 4 years younger and at the end of the day both match each teams system.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yes the OP asked for jaw dropping and while a surprise trade Subban for Weber was a blockbuster NHL wise. But the value was pretty close. Noew if we had traded Weber to the Habs for lets say Mark Barberio or the habs had got Weber for Bitetto either of those are jaw dropping. Thats why FF9 for Erat was rated higher IMO too. None of us thought we would get that caliber of a prospect for Erat.

It will be special to see PK in a Preds sweater but knowing he replaced Weber another top 10 guy in the league its just not the same. I am not knocking your fanmanship or your youthful age but after watching Foppa for years it was more than special that night down at the glass when he skated out with that 21 for the pregame skate. There were a number of people that post here there with me that night I recall Doc, 303 guy, Predperson, and Nerdo, WFOME was there too I think and ADZY that might well have been my favorite moment in being a fan since 1980. As huge as experience I could imagine. Unless we somehow find a way to snag one of the current HOF guys before they leave there prime.

Someone earlier posted about untradeable guys. This was something I pointed out a couple years ago when I wanted to trade Weber before we paid the last two bonuses we paid. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS UNTRADEABLE in sports. There are many here that thought that of the captian, the face of the franchise, the first to be drafted and retire a Pred or any of the other reason. Someone also pointed out that the contract is the reason Weber was traded in a joking way. Well it is really not that funny when you consider the trade. We got a guy for 2mil more over the rest of there contracts thats 4 years younger and at the end of the day both match each teams system.

2 points about your post.

1) you obviously didn't read why I said he was untradable. I said it was because of his poison pill contract, and cap recapture. I for one did not see any team taking on that contract until he's 40. I also didn't see Mr. Safe Poile pulling a risky move and trading him when the cap recapture is a high possibility. Yes I know anything can happen, but due to those reasons I did not see that coming.

2) Based on the factors listed above in #1 plus the out of no where of the trade, that is what made it more jaw dropping. The two Forsberg trades left me excited, but it was excitement none the less. The Weber trade left me stunned and in disbelief.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I nearly drove off the side of the road when I heard about Foppa (Mk.I) becoming a Predator.

I was surprised when I heard about Shea, but not stunned - when I heard who we got back.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
2 points about your post.

1) you obviously didn't read why I said he was untradable. I said it was because of his poison pill contract, and cap recapture. I for one did not see any team taking on that contract until he's 40. I also didn't see Mr. Safe Poile pulling a risky move and trading him when the cap recapture is a high possibility. Yes I know anything can happen, but due to those reasons I did not see that coming.

2) Based on the factors listed above in #1 plus the out of no where of the trade, that is what made it more jaw dropping. The two Forsberg trades left me excited, but it was excitement none the less. The Weber trade left me stunned and in disbelief.

My point about untradeable was not pointed at you. I was refering to the clammer here two years when I suggested it was time to trade him before 1 July of that year. And was just blasted by a number of people saying he was untradeable. Including some people that I have respected in the past.

I may have made a mistake in another thread about Rinne however. I agreed he was not movable which in fact he could be. Upside down contracts are moved every year.

Its funny how many look at things so differently. We all have our favorite moments, and disagreements I guess thats why we enjoy HF. I do miss the old boards however it was much more enjoyable before the NHL.com took the message boards over and ruined it all together.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I was extremely excited, but not jaw-on-the-floor surprised when we got Forsberg. We never had anyone like that but everyone assumed he was probably on the move and we had been rumored as a landing spot. Again, excited but not shocked.

My friend texted me immediately after the news broke and said "So, Subban for Weber?". My response was "lol what?"......No one saw that coming at all. There's a difference in excitement and shock. PK for Weber was more shocking and it's not even close.

TSN Radio in Montreal said it this way:

"Subban was just traded for Shea Weber?"

""According to Kypreos, yes."

"...........Holy s***"

I think that summarizes pretty much everyone's feeling on that.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I was extremely excited, but not jaw-on-the-floor surprised when we got Forsberg. We never had anyone like that but everyone assumed he was probably on the move and we had been rumored as a landing spot. Again, excited but not shocked.

My friend texted me immediately after the news broke and said "So, Subban for Weber?". My response was "lol what?"......No one saw that coming at all. There's a difference in excitement and shock. PK for Weber was more shocking and it's not even close.

TSN Radio in Montreal said it this way:

"Subban was just traded for Shea Weber?"

""According to Kypreos, yes."

"...........Holy s***"

I think that summarizes pretty much everyone's feeling on that.

Abaddon texted me and I thought he was teasing. But once I found out that he was on the level I also responded with at least one .........holy s***. Then I texted Predsfan98 and that was pretty much her sentiment, though I think she refrained from expletives. :laugh:

I had the same reaction when hockeyfan13 from the old boards texted me about P. Forsberg, but I didn't follow the trade news that much back then. I didn't know he was available for rental or even what that meant! I was just amazed that Peter Forsberg was on our team. That exchange is probably still sitting on an old phone somewhere in a drawer--I couldn't delete it. But Subban was for Shea Weber and that vaults it to the top.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Peter Forsberg is my favorite player ever. I bought a Forsberg Preds jersey immediately after that trade, even knowing he'd only play a dozen or so games with the team, because it's not every day your favorite player and a first-ballot HoF player gets traded to your team. That said, there had been rumors around it for weeks so while it was huge and awesome, it wasn't surprising. It made me happy; it didn't make my jaw drop.

Subban/Weber, on the other hand, completely blind-sided me. I firmly believed Weber was going to play out his entire career with Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad