Which trade deadline acquisition has a better chance of breaking out?

Which trade deadline acquisition has a better chance of breaking out?

• Alex Wennberg

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Jack Roslovic

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • Both Players Will Break Out In Different Ways

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Rosolvic skating about and shot could really be what the first line needed, but I think Wennberg is going to impress us too. I love Brodzinski, but that third line is going to really shine with Wennberg on it.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I wouldn’t be surprised if they have discussions to sign Ros after this run. I think they identified him as a player they liked a while ago.

The Rangers have a habit for years bringing in first round pedigree. Similar to Brassgod. He’s on a slow arc and has played for some bad teams.

We’ll see what happens but I believe they brought him in to play up with Mika, not on the fourth line like some writers think. That would help his chances of breaking out for sure.

Wennberg is who he is his. I think he’s a perfect fit for that 3C role and he’s already mentioned playing in that role on day one. Ros can play center but he’s even worse at faceoffs than Wennberg and that’s saying something lol

It’s still possible they could try Wennberg up on Mika’s right and if they click, that’s great. But then you should have Kakko taking draws on the 3rd lol

After sleeping on it I’m actually more excited about these moves than I thought. I think the biggest thing is these two don’t upset the fragile chemistry of the core, like we saw last year. The really needed to add some depth to their forward lines. Not sure if it will be enough but I like the route Drury took

Last edited:

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
An offensive player is always a higher chance of either breaking big or flopping. A defense-first guy will be solid, give it or take.

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
I wouldn’t be surprised if they have discussions to sign Ros after this run. I think they identified him as a player they liked a while ago.

The Rangers have a habit for years bringing in first round pedigree. Similar to Brassgod. He’s on a slow arc and has played for some bad teams.

We’ll see what happens but I believe they brought him in to play up with Mika, not on the fourth line like some writers think. That would help his chances of breaking out for sure.

Wennberg is who he is his. I think he’s a perfect fit for that 3C role and he’s already mentioned playing in that role on day one. Ros can play center but he’s even worse at faceoffs than Wennberg and that’s saying something lol

It’s still possible they could try Wennberg up on Mika’s right and if they click, that’s great. But then you should have Kakko taking draws on the 3rd lol

After sleeping on it I’m actually more excited about these moves than I thought. I think the biggest thing is these two don’t upset the fragile chemistry of the core, like we saw last year. The really needed to add some depth to their forward lines. Not sure if it will be enough but I like the route Drury took
Agree with this. Trying to be objective after one game verse a weak team, but Wennberg may do wonders for the third line. Brozinski has some positive attributes but doesn't play like a natural center man. Culle and Kano had some great looks and zone time last night.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
People were saying Wennberg on the PK was bad, but he created a turnover, had a breakaway, and drew a penalty.

Hopefully, he just sucked on the PK because the Kraken just sucked as a whole.
Yeah it seemed like the Rangers were eager to get him out there in a lot of situations

After all he did lead Seattle in TOI this season and in the playoffs last year

Reactions: Brutananadilewski

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Agree with this. Trying to be objective after one game verse a weak team, but Wennberg may do wonders for the third line. Brozinski has some positive attributes but doesn't play like a natural center man. Culle and Kano had some great looks and zone time last night.

IMO the real key to unlocking the potential of these moves is putting Brodzinski over Goodrow. That 4th line becomes a really dogged mobile forechecking line with some higher end skill with 26-22-73 together.

Goodrow to dress over Brodz if we expect a dogfight and want more physical play and support for Rempe in case we think things will get chippy.

One can dream though, since Goodrow's contract probably means he'll be permanent marker'd in the lineup until the end of the playoffs.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I liked how Wennberg played with Cuylle and Kakko.
Roslovic will probably have some success, not exactly breakout but I foresee a lot of bone headed plays from him that stand out more than any of his positives. Just of a dose of classic Ranger fan optimism!

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
IMO the real key to unlocking the potential of these moves is putting Brodzinski over Goodrow. That 4th line becomes a really dogged mobile forechecking line with some higher end skill with 26-22-73 together.

Goodrow to dress over Brodz if we expect a dogfight and want more physical play and support for Rempe in case we think things will get chippy.

One can dream though, since Goodrow's contract probably means he'll be permanent marker'd in the lineup until the end of the playoffs.
Goodrow set up the only ES goal last night and was a wierd bounce away from a second assist. Can't harp on the guy after the game he played last night.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I'm not sure how OP is defining "break out." But also don't think either was brought here to do much more than what they have been doing.

Wennberg adds some speed and hockey IQ to the third line. And since he likely isn't being looked to for a huge offensive output he can focus on defense and add that element—which the bottom six didn't have prior to the deadline. And if he can find chemistry with Kakko, he will put up points as a matter of happenstance.

In Roslovic's case, he just needs to use his speed to get in on the forecheck. Mika and Kreider seem to play a two man game regardless of who plays with them, so if Roslovic can use his speed to give that line more time in the o zone he's an upgrade on Wheeler.

Last edited:

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Goodrow set up the only ES goal last night and was a wierd bounce away from a second assist. Can't harp on the guy after the game he played last night.

He's still our worst forward and contract by far. One decent game doesn't change that. What exactly does he give that Brodzinski doesn't besides maybe fighting? And with Rempe here, is that even really necessary?

The team gets caved on chances every time he's on the ice. His 5 on 5 numbers are nearly Bonino level bad, and the belief he's irreplaceable on the PK is just naive. He doesn't shoot. He doesn't score. He's not some elite forechecker. Rempe was 2 inches or a favorable coinflip away from outgoaling him in just his 9th NHL game.

Brodzinski is faster than him, decent on draws, quicker on the D on the forecheck, and is better at passing and shooting. He may not be as average as Goodrow in his own end (Brodz is below average defensively), but his very existence means the team will spend less time defending when he's on the ice vs. when Goodrow's on the ice. IMO there's no reason Brodzinski should sit over Goodrow, unless we expect a slow team that plays a heavy game where we may want a second forward who can fight, or Goodrow's size over Brodzinski's speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad