Which teams use a goaltending tandem these playoffs?

Which teams, if any, intentionally run a tandem this playoffs?

• None. Every team will choose 1 starting goalie for the playoffs like always

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Boston (Ullmark/Swayman)

Votes: 52 50.0%
  • Toronto (Woll/Samsonov)

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Carolina (Andersen/Kochetkov)

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • Islanders (Varlamov/Sorokin)

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • Vegas (Hill/Thompson)

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • Other (Name the team)

Votes: 11 10.6%

• Total voters

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Hill will pull his hammy or something but then Thompson will magically step in and win the Conn Smythe all of a sudden.
To be fair based on play, I'd have Thompsons starting the playoffs, and he can pull a hammy and Hill can come in like last season :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: PullHard

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Boston and Carolina would probably be successful alternating starts in the playoffs

Sorokin and shesterkin have been better of late and should start at least the first 2 games of each series. Varlamov has a higher chance of playing more than quick

Expecting samsonov to fail and woll to replace him but don’t have a ton of confidence in woll either

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
We're in a live-puck era (relatively speaking, post lockout) so any team with a good backup. If the Rangers make it out of round 1 I see Quick getting a start after a shaky Igor performance
Really? I don't think there's any universe where I would start Quick over a healthy igor.

That man has absolutely WILLED New york to every ounce of success they've had in the playoffs so far.

He has 33 GSAx in 27 starts.

Or a 100 GSAx season if he played all 82 games.

Or the difference between the best goal differential in hockey and a bottom 5 lottery team. That is how much of an edge Igor has provided for the rags in the playoffs the last 2 years.

Because frankly NYR has been dominated in all their matchups otherwise.

NYR has generated 42.18% of expected goals in their 2 playoff runs. To put that into perspective, the anaheim ducks this year have generated 42.07% of expected goals.
Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 12.11.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 12.11.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 12.10.42 PM.png

Last edited:

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
Canes may have ran tandem in the regular season but I think it's gonna be Freddie Andersons net unless he has an absolute stinker.....

He'd be in veniza talks if he hadn't had the blood clotting issue, and as an addendum to that these are almost Identical to his stats from last seasons playoffs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418_101136_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418_101136_Chrome.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: DaveG

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Isles will if whoever starts game 1 looks shaky. If the Isles lose and Sorokin or Varlamov still looks to be on point, I can see Roy going right back to them.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Canes will have a quick trigger finger if Freddy has a rough outing knowing that they have Kooch on the bench, but I'd fully expect Freddy to be the #1.

That said I can also see them sticking with Kooch for a bit if they do need to change directions and Kooch has a hot hand. Also wouldn't be surprised to see them go to Kooch the next game if there's a marathon OT game like last season as well.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Really? I don't think there's any universe where I would start Quick over a healthy igor.

That man has absolutely WILLED New york to every ounce of success they've had in the playoffs so far.

He has 33 GSAx in 27 starts.

Or a 100 GSAx season if he played all 82 games.

Or the difference between the best goal differential in hockey and a bottom 5 lottery team. That is how much of an edge Igor has provided for the rags in the playoffs the last 2 years.

Because frankly NYR has been dominated in all their matchups otherwise.

NYR has generated 42.18% of expected goals in their 2 playoff runs. To put that into perspective, the anaheim ducks this year have generated 42.07% of expected goals.
View attachment 854477View attachment 854478View attachment 854479
You're honestly preaching to the choir; I adore Igor and wouldn't stop starting him under any circumstances other than injury. Just my perception of what Laviolette would do. Hope it doesn't even become a question.

Reactions: dgibb10

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
And so the questions begin.

4 goals on 6 shots last night.

Pickard came in and stabilized the game.

Seems all too familiar.
Yes, last night is a massive indication of what the playoffs will look like. Roster should be the same too.

CrosbyStaalsAndNash

Apr 25, 2014
winnipeg
The Jets have arguably the best goaltending tandem in the league only Boston has an argument for a better one. But it's unlikely that they go to Brossoit unless Helle has 2 or 3 bad games in a row.
They could have success utilizing Hellebuyck and Brossoit in 2-game stints to keep em rested and opposition changing game plans, but I can't see them going that route.

Hellebuyck would happily play all 28 games if that was available to him. However having our goaltending is such an advantage it's unbelievable. The team has full confidence with both goalies, and allows them to play the same system regardless of who's in net.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
They could have success utilizing Hellebuyck and Brossoit in 2-game stints to keep em rested and opposition changing game plans, but I can't see them going that route.

Hellebuyck would happily play all 28 games if that was available to him. However having our goaltending is such an advantage it's unbelievable. The team has full confidence with both goalies, and allows them to play the same system regardless of who's in net.
Broissoit actually has a better GAA and Sv% then Hellebuyck this season in the 22 (iirc) games he's played. Admittedly somewhat sheltered (shutting out Dallas notwithstanding) but if Hellebuyck reverts to his decidedly average post-season numbers I have full confidence in our backup.

m.

Reactions: Johnny HFBOARDS

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Yes, last night is a massive indication of what the playoffs will look like. Roster should be the same too.

Come on Jase, tell me you aren't just a little concerned.

I'm willing to bet if he had a shutout last night you'd be telling me it's "a good indication"!

Your goalie is still going to have shots on net, regardless of who is on the roster. Unless you think your defense is just that good??

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Come on Jase, tell me you aren't just a little concerned.

I'm willing to bet if he had a shutout last night you'd be telling me it's "a good indication"!

Your goalie is still going to have shots on net, regardless of who is on the roster. Unless you think your defense is just that good??
I think the fact that the best six players were out of the line up last night make last night’s game far less indicative of what to expect from Skinner than his previous starts.

I also think his record against the Kings is more indicative of the expectations that should be surrounding him.

And no, last night’s game meant nothing for either team. There are very few takeaways for it other than who may get a better look depth wise for both clubs playoff rosters.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I think the fact that the best six players were out of the line up last night make last night’s game far less indicative of what to expect from Skinner than his previous starts.

I also think his record against the Kings is more indicative of the expectations that should be surrounding him.

And no, last night’s game meant nothing for either team. There are very few takeaways for it other than who may get a better look depth wise for both clubs playoff rosters.

Oh, make no mistake, the Oilers will do just fine against the Kings.

I'm talking about once they see actual competition - talking Dallas here.

Mind you, the Oilers will have one of the easiest paths to the Semi-Finals, they better make hay.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Skinner's been way better this year than last. Give the guy a chance before you hang him out to dry, jeez.
Skinner had a fantastic reg-season last year too, so I wouldn't say "way better".

We'll see if he can outdo his rookie playoff performance though.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Boston is a no-brainer, they've done it all season.

Toronto as well, maybe less so. I feel like they'll ride whoever gets hot and that'll be the end of the tandem though.

NYI. Varlamov will likely get the nod first. If they go down 2-0 maybe Sorokin gets game 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad