Which team will finnish 4th in the NA division?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

Which team will finish 4th in the NA division?

This is a tough one! Many probably think Slovakia, but they have many talented NHL players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SantaCruZer said:
This is a tough one! Many probably think Slovakia, but they have many talented NHL players.

Yeah, many talented players that were shut down when it mattered most in this year's World Championships, questionable goaltending, and even more questionable defense. That being said, I think Russia will finish fourth, although it's really a toss up. All four countries have solid to excellent rosters.

Last edited:

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, many talented players that were shut down when it mattered most in this year's World Championships, questionable goaltending, and even more questionable defense. I pick Canada, although I I think the U.S. could do it.

Canada 4th ??? That is ridiculous. I don't see how you can put any of the other teams ahead of Canada, let alone all 3. You have something against Canada ??

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The USA is the least impressive team in this group to me. Canada is too well-rounded to finish outside the top 2, while Russia and Slovakia both have the firepower to grab some games.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Garfield said:
Canada 4th ??? That is ridiculous. I don't see how you can put any of the other teams ahead of Canada, let alone all 3. You have something against Canada ??

My bad. For some reason I thought the poll was about what nation would finish first.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:
The USA is the least impressive team in this group to me. Canada is too well-rounded to finish outside the top 2, while Russia and Slovakia both have the firepower to grab some games.

Yeah, but can they keep the puck out of their own nets? Will the scorers score? I think the U.S., while perhaps not the most dynamic team has a roster perfectly suited for this type of tournament, and enough of the intangibles to win.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
The Russians will sleep off this tournament ... unless the young players step up.

Snakeeye

The Russian Hockey Federation is a mess right now. They have neither the organization, nor the talent to pull it off at the moment.

Pity. Canada-Russia games used to be the best hockey in the world.

SChan*

It's not like Canada will finish 4th, but they certainly have to work hard in their games. The only non-quality team in this tournament is Germany, and they are in the euro division.
  • Canada-Russia, A classic. Not a pushover for Canada.
  • Canada-USA, the battle of North America. Not a pushover for Canada.
  • Canada-Slovakia, Slovakians want revenge for the semifinal loss. Not a pushover for Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Slovakia has yet to prove they can beat a top 6 hockey Nation.

Some will say that Slovakia plays great at the WOrld Championship, and they have already won it once, but Slovakia has never beaten Canada, Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic, Finland and USA when those teams used all their best players.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
wilka91 said:
Slovakia has yet to prove they can beat a top 6 hockey Nation.

Some will say that Slovakia plays great at the WOrld Championship, and they have already won it once, but Slovakia has never beaten Canada, Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic, Finland and USA when those teams used all their best players.

It's also interesting to note that Slovakia has never had the chance to play those teams with their top players. I know you could mention the 1998 Olympics but it was only like 5 guys their from the NHL and Team Slovakia wasn't nearly as good as they are now. At 2002 Olympics they never even got past the preliminary round with very, very little NHL players playing, which meant another chance to play the top teams gone.

This is Slovakia's first ever time as a stronger hockey nation to play the other top teams with their top players.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Snakeeye said:
The Russian Hockey Federation is a mess right now. They have neither the organization, nor the talent to pull it off at the moment.

Pity. Canada-Russia games used to be the best hockey in the world.

I know one Russian that will leave a sour taste in your mouth for a while; Khabibulin :p:

Hitman*

Poor Russia. I think they will finish 4th, but hardly at the fault of the talent they have available. Just the federation that controls it.

Hitman*

wilka91 said:

Mostly because they've never had the real opportunity to use their own best players.

Guys like Hossa, Gaborik, Chara, Palffy et all were never all available at the same time until now. Their only questionable position is goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad