Which team is worse with developing players?

Which team is worse with developing players?

• Arizona Coyotes

• Edmonton Oilers

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
The argument for the Coyotes being worse at development: Long list of players that they drafted (or traded for at a young age) that are still waiting to breakout (Perlini or Duclair) or broke out once they were traded (Strome, Domi, Turris). Some players there are doubts if they can still be as strong as an impact as a thought like Nick Merkley. It should be noted that while Arizona did make good on some of their draft picks like Keller, Chychrun, Dvorak and OEL a lot of the key players on the team like Kessel, Raanta, Schmaltz, Hammer, and Stepan are not homegrown players and less of their key players are homegrown compared to Edmonton in key roles. The other thing that helps the case for Arizona being the worse team, in this case, is that Edmonton has so far done a good job at developing prospects Kailer Yamamoto and Evan Bouchard.

The argument for the Oilers being worse at development: The Oilers while not necessarily having as long as of a list of players that have failed to work out for them, they have more players that have failed to live up to their draft potential but are still good players and remain members of the team (RNH or Nurse). The other thing that hurts the Oilers is screwing up two very high draft picks, first Nail Yakopov in 2012 at first overall and now Jesse Puljujarvi who was selected in 2016. Yakopov is now out of the league playing in the KHL, while Pulju wants out from the team and will not return to North America unless his rights are traded, with the Oilers not giving him a consistent place (floating from the NHL to AHL and back or lack of consistent linemates).

Summary: The Oilers have more high-profile disappointments whereas the Coyotes have a higher number of them. Vote on which one you think is worse at developing players.

Reactions: Dabeast

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Some of the coyotes guys seem to have a bit of an attitude (Domi, Turris, etc). I think they simply don't want to play for the Coyotes and so don't give it their all, and I can't blame the team for that.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Some of the coyotes guys seem to have a bit of an attitude (Domi, Turris, etc). I think they simply don't want to play for the Coyotes and so don't give it their all, and I can't blame the team for that.
Any sources that can confirm they wanted out?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I dunno, it depends on time frames.

I feel like 2015 onwards the Oilers have been doing a good job of developing prospects and now have one of the best prospect pools defensively in the league.

If you want to go before that, sure. Fair game.

I don’t think recent history has the Oilers doing a terrible job (save for one or two exceptions).

Reactions: 780il and Dr Salt

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I would definitely say oilers before Chia took over, but he completely catapulted the drafting and development of the team.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The Oilers have had higher picks, and not to mention the hockey markets of Edmonton and Arizona aren't even comparable. Both have made some solid picks lately but you have to go with Edmonton here IMO.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I voted Arizona.

While Edmonton has the higher profile failures, the sheer number of underwhelming players and borderline busts for Arizona is huge.

There's a reason Chayka keeps shipping out young players when they start to struggle. He can't afford to let players stick around and bust. So he has to liquidate them before they get to that point.

Reactions: NotLeddy

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Zona reached this year at 11 and that hurts them a bit, I think Chayka has tried to get ahead of the curve a bit much and try to outsmart all the other GM’s instead of just making an obvious pick. Hayton has worked out well so far but I feel he may have gotten lucky then. Going forward I feel like Edmonton will be better but they have been worse in the past at developing so I’ll vote Edmonton here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad