Which team is the furthest away from being a playoff team?

Which team is the furthest away from being a playoff team?

• Total voters

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Taking in to consideration the team on the ice, cap situation and prospect pool/draft picks, which team would you LEAST like to be the GM of if the goal was to win?

Personally I wouldn't want anything to do with Montreal as they are bad, they've got numerous "bad" contracts and not a great prospect pool

This has absolutely nothing to do with me being a Devil fan an I only included them as they are tied with Buffalo for points and I wanted to put the 5 lowest point totals.

Narcissus

Jul 4, 2009
Best to worst chances of being a playoff team in the near future.
1. Ottawa
2. New Jersey - Buffalo
4, Montreal - Seattle
5. Arizona

Montreal could probably be anywhere from 1-6 depending on Price.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Montreal would be in the playoff hunt with Price this year.
If Price is healthy next year - they'll be in the playoff hunt. Doesn't guarantee they make it - and if you want to argue that they're not good enough to win a cup, fine maybe. But simply playoff participation? With Carey Price, this starts next year.

Arizona or Seattle are farthest away imo. Voted Arizona

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Montreal would be in the playoff hunt with Price this year.
If Price is healthy next year - they'll be in the playoff hunt. Doesn't guarantee they make it - and if you want to argue that they're not good enough to win a cup, fine maybe. But simply playoff participation? With Carey Price, this starts next year.

Arizona or Seattle are farthest away imo. Voted Arizona

I agree, but I'd be surprised if we see Price any time soon, and when we do he'll likely be a shell of his former self.
I just don't think Price will be able to step in next season and be a difference maker, therefor I put Montreal at the bottom, I hope for his sake I'm wrong though

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Best to worst chances of being a playoff team in the near future.
1. Ottawa
2. New Jersey - Buffalo
4, Montreal - Seattle
5. Arizona

Montreal could probably be anywhere from 1-6 depending on Price.

I just have Montreal and Arizona switched, the rest is exactly the same for me

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
It's between Arizona and Montreal. Montreal has some key youth at every position that I think will be good. I don't see that same youth movement in Arizona so I'll go with them as I believe they'll have a longer turn around.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Montreal

I think Arizona has the better prospect pool and is more of a clean slate. Montreal still has some massive anchors on their payroll. Considering their lack of future franchise cornerstones on the roster right now and their mediocre prospect pool, I think have a long road ahead of them for the next half decade at least.

Not to mention the Atlantic is a bloodbath and looks to be so for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Add price to Montreal and we still suck, but more like 7th-9th last bad not dead last

With Price Habs made the finals last year.
I'm not saying that Habs are 100% a playoff team with Price - I'm just saying it's definitely a possibility Price could drag Montreal to the playoffs. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. In comparison, I don't see anyway Arizona makes the playoffs anytime soon.

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
I'm not saying that Habs are 100% a playoff team with Price - I'm just saying it's definitely a possibility Price could drag Montreal to the playoffs. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. In comparison, I don't see anyway Arizona makes the playoffs anytime soon.
I'm not sure. Price last year had the same SV% as Allen this year. The Habs score a lot less than last year, and they allow a lot more shots than last year. I think this goes way beyond goaltending. Sure, Price would probably help, but the Habs are so far out of contention, it's hard to see any one player making enough of a difference.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I just don't see it for Seattle. Arizona is a long way away, yes. And I understand the votes for them. But they are about to totally stock the cupboards at the draft, and have a crazy amount of cap space moving forward.

Where as Seattle has no top-end talent, not a ton of extra draft picks (an extra 2nd and some 4ths), their big splash acquisitions have been duds (Wennberg, Grubauer), and they seem to have no direction.

It looks, to me, like they'll flounder for a few years before deciding to go where Arizona is already going.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Furthest is close between Seattle and Arizona, closest is close between New Jersey and Ottawa, I think they will both be in the fight for the last wildcard spot with the Islanders, Capitals and Red Wings.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It's easily Arizona. If you're asking which team is furthest away, and you were to add pieces to both current rosters, Montreal is miles closer to the playoffs.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Making to finals also included,

Weber (retired)
Danault (gone)
Perry (gone)
Kk(gone)
Petry (requested a trade)
Chiarot(Bout to be gone)

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Making to finals also included,

Weber (retired)
Danault (gone)
Perry (gone)
Kk(gone)
Petry (requested a trade)
Chiarot(Bout to be gone)
Not to mention you wouldn’t have made the playoffs the last couple years if not for Covid. Hopefully they do a rebuild instead of a re tool for your guys’ mental well being.

Reactions: dukeofjive and Pi

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Voted Montreal. Seems to be a clear decision between the Habs and the Yotes... At least the Yotes play out west and seem to be positioning themselves for a future - truck loads of draft picks, and truck loads of cap space inbound.

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
Not to mention you wouldn’t have made the playoffs the last couple years if not for Covid. Hopefully they do a rebuild instead of a re tool for your guys’ mental well being.
This is important to remember. 2 years ago, they were a 24th place team and made the playoffs due to the play-in round. Last season, they were 10th place out of all the eastern conference teams (19th overall) that made the playoffs due to division realignment. Let’s not pretend this is a contending team that has had a rough season this year. It’s a very flawed team that needs a complete rebuild. A retool is the worst outcome for their fans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad