Which team in our division improved most this offseason?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
^^^

good post, seph, agree with most of it. i think preds take a step back in the regular season. and i really don't like avs chances against the hawks.. only way to win the series is the way we've won them the past two seasons: vargodmov.

definitely agree that they have had lot of good luck with health but all those long summers has to start taking their toll... keith isn't human so he should be fine but seabs should definitely start taking steps back... his next contract is going to be bad one, though hawks have to do it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh SEPH; how can Dano be a year from being an NHL quality player when he has already played in the NHL and done very well?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I see Nashville taking a big step back. They rely SO much on Rinne that any little struggle or injury just kills the team. You could see the 2nd half of last year that the heavy workload was getting to him (didn't help that he was coming off injury) and he would have as many poor games as good ones. I don't see him holding up to a full workload again, and I think Nashville will take a step back because of it. Still a wildcard contender IMO.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
^^^

good post, seph, agree with most of it. i think preds take a step back in the regular season. and i really don't like avs chances against the hawks.. only way to win the series is the way we've won them the past two seasons: vargodmov.

definitely agree that they have had lot of good luck with health but all those long summers has to start taking their toll... keith isn't human so he should be fine but seabs should definitely start taking steps back... his next contract is going to be bad one, though hawks have to do it.
When I meant the Avs fancy against the Hawks, of course I don't expect Avs to win, but Avs definitely match up better against them than the Blues, Wild, or even Jets do. Plus Coach Q's game plan against Avs/Varlamov is beyond ********. He demands them to shoot more when things are not going right, but shooting more gets Varlamov more in the game. It is like the super power of every punch or physical attack against a hero, only makes the hero stronger. :laugh:

Keith and Suter in particular play some humongous tasks on each club. It is a matter of time, IMO that one of them (or both) will have a lengthy spell. Unfortunately for us, it will probably be like a bruised calf at the beginning of the season. :facepalm::laugh:

I do think Preds will be the best team if they do not have major injures, I absolutely understand if people think they will take a step back. Hard to get that consistency amongst years for coaches in new organizations. I see Rinne's below-average play last season more on point from the injury than the workload IMO.

Oh SEPH; how can Dano be a year from being an NHL quality player when he has already played in the NHL and done very well?
It is a pretty dang small sample size. There is no mistake that Dano's last half of the season, in particular the last 15 to 20 games was amazing...BUT he did not show the same consistent impact that Horvat was able to do the whole year with Canucks in both regular and post seasons.

Another example is this, there are a TON of non-playoff junior players who get their try outs for the last two weeks of the AHL season. And because they just played a 60ish game season, get a couple days break, they get refreshed enough (though still have the hockey mind) to post PPG status in the AHL. But after a year of summer and off of hockey, they normally come in and post some extremely average rookie numbers like 30 points in 70 games. All of this is after their PPG hot streaks on the try-outs the previous season. What I am saying is that hot streaks normally never last and I saw Dano's 15 game sample more of a hot streak than actuality concerning a dynamic NHL player for next season. Of course, do not think I am calling him a bust, he WILL be very good in a Blackhawks uniform for his career, but next year, I think he will experience some growing pains IMO. And if not, all the more praise for him!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The hawks will have a lot of growing pains early in the season with a lot of their new pieces, but saying Dano was a year away from even being an NHL player just seemed like a gross-exaggeration. The cap won't kill them for us, sooner or later we're just going to have to become better than them. Luckily we have varly, and not only is he a demigod, but playing the hawks guarantees he's at the height of his powers. So I feel we've got a very good shot at passing them if Zads/Bigras/Grigo/Rantanen make good on their promise, especially if we can pull Radulov next summer to be our Hossa-signing.

But they aren't going away. That team will dip a bit to the start the season; gel over the winter; end the season on a tear; and find themselves back in the WCF next spring. I'm just hoping we are the team that gives them a fright in the second round.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Unless something enormous happens this is how I see it.

Chicago will probably get by fine on their ELC heaven. They generally manage roughly third in the division anyway, regular season isn't their strong suit. They need to avoid a Kings like hangover though but probably will for another year or two. I see them holding up better than some teams in transition but they finally might have disrupted some chemistry with the pieces they moved out.

St Louis unless they add something else will probably be the same regular season heroes but can't translate it. They need more than Tarasenko to carry the load. Goaltending much catch up with them someday too.

Winnipeg is trending in the right direction and building a tough team to play against. The franchise has experienced so little success that its going to take some time to really build the culture and confidence. I see them taking a bit of a step back this season 99 points was overachieving. Their future is as bright as anyone in the western conference though.

Nashville is going to have issues with failing to develop any sort of offense. Relying on Mike Fisher and Ribiero yet again because it worked for them last season is not a good idea. I like Fiala and Forsberg but two young guys can't do everything.

Minnesota is more of the same, they will be the same team every single year. They'll have a long low period and then a really strong period, they are like the perennial 4th seed, just enough successful. They need something dynamic to shake their culture and identity and it just isn't in their organization.

Dallas I don't know why they get a free pass from everyone and the media. They just had two seasons of 91 and 92 points yet the Avs at 90 was a catastrophe. They haven't done anything to get better and seem to just have decided to rely on Seguin and Benn. I really feel like they have tremendous potential to be the best team in this division but they are doing nothing to cultivate it.

That all said, every single one of those teams have the potential to win the division. No Arizonas in this division. I know nobody is going to declare the Avs as improved until they have that one big name on defense. All people will see is O'Reilly gone and nothing else. I don't really want to say we are the most improved by default because we are the only ones who have done something significant but I think we've addressed areas of weakness the best of our division.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Basing it on everything from the end of the season to today?

1) Colorado
2) Chicago
3) Dallas
4/5/6/7) Minnesota/Winnipeg/St.Louis/Nashville since they didn't really improve

Avs made the big FA waves and big O'Reilly deal

Hawks made the Saad deal and signed 2596 KHL players

Stars have a Niemi/Lehtonen 1/2 punch now

I agree, Avs were the only team to do anything really...Hawks did alright on trading an RFA, Dallas should be a bit better now. That looks about right considering St. Louis just got bent over by the Caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad