Which team have Vegas surpassed in terms of franchise success?

Teams that Vegas already surpassed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Ottawa has been to the same amount of finals.
As Vancouver? No, the Canucks have been to three Finals to go along with multiple multi-round playoff round wins, Presidents trophies, and Art/Hart/Lindsay winners. Why the Canucks are even on this list is beyond me.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
just check the Forbes rankings when they next come out. I'm sure Vegas is a pretty valuable market, regardless of the recent success.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
None except Winnipeg/Phoenix and Columbus. The others have also won their conference. But those three haven't.

Unless you count only the Wild franchise under Minnesota, and not the North Stars. But the poll is unclear there. It was a pretty fun final in '91. Minnesota looked to have the edge at times. Exciting television.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd go with 'none' probably, but that isn't an option so just Columbus then.
Vegas has only made the playoffs three times (yes I know there are only three seasons) with one Finals appearance and little regular-season recognition.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Arizona, Minnesota, Winnipeg, and CBJ are easy picks. None have ever had a season as good as Vegas’s first nor do they have any long history of being almost there to make up for it. I’d put Florida in there too because the SCF was an anomaly. They’ve been mostly bad otherwise.

The rest get by on cumulative success. The Sabres and Sens used to be good pretty consistently. Nashville has been in the playoffs a ton, and I didn’t even realize the Nucks had lost in the finals 3 times. Wow.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
As Vancouver? No, the Canucks have been to three Finals to go along with multiple multi-round playoff round wins, Presidents trophies, and Art/Hart/Lindsay winners. Why the Canucks are even on this list is beyond me.

Vegas has not surpassed them in my opinion.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
However; in your time frame, the Leafs have been to 5 CFs. Vegas hasn't done that yet.

Wow, losing 5 CFs in 50 plus years...that's an impressive accomplishment.

Amazingly, a team with only three years in the NHL hasn't lost as many CFs like the Leafs have since the last Leaf SCF appearance. I have to give you that one...congrats.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Of course you're cherry picking, I'll just look at our rafters and people in the HOF.

Enjoy those faded banners that have been hanging from those rafters for 20 plus years...and, before that, 30 plus more years in their previous location.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Florida, Minnesota, Columbus, Arizona for sure... and maybe Winnipeg. Easy.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Canucks don't deserve to be on this list. 3 trips to the cup finals, 2 presidents trophies, two art ross winners, a selke winner, a hart, a lindsay, a jennings, 2 calder winners (might be 3 in a few days), a GM of the year, 2 Jack Adams, 4 King Clancy's, 12 all-star selections, (8 first team, 4 second), 6 on the NHL all rookie team.

While the Canucks haven't won the cup, they've certainly had some great teams and great players in their ranks over the years.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Cool your jets, this is a 3 year old team with no provenance, history or marketable stars. You don't erase an entire history of another franchise just because this shiny new toy has 3 seasons of success. It's ludicrous to compare 3 years vs 20-50 years, unless the body of work in the 50 years is abject failure (see, Clippers).

All things up come down in the cap era, you can see what happened to DET and what PIT was before they were now. After a long enough sample size Vegas will see similar periods of suck at these teams.

As for the question I think they've done more than the entire history of the Panthers, Coyotes and Blue Jackets, debatably the Jets and Wild. Every other team here has seen better and more memorable moments when taken throughout their entire history.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Predators made the playoffs 5 years in a row until losing in the play-in this year. Made the finals once, won the presidents trophy once and lost in 2nd round game 7's twice to a really strong team.

They still have the core to turn the ship around as well.

I don't think you can say Vegas has been more successful. Obviously they haven't had bad years in their short time in the league, but at the same time you can say the way things ended these last couple years were disappointing. They beat the teams they were supposed to beat but found a way to lose to the teams that were on par.

Vegas doesn't scare me anymore. Sure they're a strong team and will continue to make the playoffs, but once the going gets rough you realize there's no strong 1C and once one team gets the momentum they struggle to turn it back. I mean you could say im reacting to what's happened lately but at the same time it's exactly what happened against the Caps too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad