Which Team Are You More Excited About?

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Metzler's blog this morning was a bummer. It dealt with the fact that it looks like Vinny will stay after all, since Nashville decided to go in a different direction with the signings of Ribiero and Roy. So as of now, it looks like I am more excited about
my hometown Phantoms here in Allentown with all the rookies [ the arena looks very cool on the outside, the restaurant scene around the arena leaves a lot to be desired, but that will change in the coming months and years]. Going to see the Flyers with Vinny on the ice may could be very rowdy with a lot of boo-ing particularly if he plays badly. When I lived in the Philly area, I had season's tickets in the late 70s to the mid 80s. I have not been to new arena, WFC. And I do not know whether the fan base has changed much. So what will be the reception Vinny gets if he plays badly? OK so I am asking 2 questions but related: Phantoms excitement vs Flyers excitement this coming season. And the downer that Vinny will be back and his reception by the fans. And will they turn and boo every time Vinny hits the ice. Could get real ugly real fast. The Phantoms will be exciting, watching them grow with lots of mistakes but some heroics. Or the Flyers in which did not really change much personnel wise and still has Vinny. Your thoughts?????

RJ8812*

I'm sure all the Flyers fans here are excited for the Kings...

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The Flyers. The AHL seriously sucks for the most part. And I say this as someone who lives in an AHL city and got to watch the best team in league history a couple of years ago.

Vinny won't get nearly as much critcism from the casual fans. If they boo, it's because the team sucks, and not necessarily just because he sucks.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I always liked Vinny but I can't for the life of me imagine what Homer was thinking when he signed him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Vinny needs to be put into a position to succeed. That is at C. If that means 4th line and PP minutes...fine. Hell...Rinaldo plays 7 minutes a game...and hurts us more than helps. Play Vinny on a 4th line with Belle and Akeson as a 4th line vs 4th line option. They should produce.

I try and look at it from Vinny's point of view. He is a 15 year vet C. More when you add in Jr and lower leagues. Then MID-SEASON is asked to play a position he has never played before AND the 1 forward position HE TOLD THE COACH he is no good at. All while recovering from an injury.

Either way, he is going to get the 3rd or 4th least C minutes...so 12-16 a night. Use him properly to get the most out of him. Start him on the 3rd line with Umberger and Raffl to see how they play. If it's bad, change it.

Remember how we all thought Hartnell Schenn and Simmonds was a horrible match? Well they caught fire for awhile despite it looking like a bad line on paper.

Keep him off the wing.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
I'm excited to watch both.

It will be cool to see such promising team on the Phantoms (plus anything beats last season for them, they did terribly).

And I'm going to be excited to see the Flyers, regardless if Vinny is here or not.

I'm just excited for hockey to be honest haha

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
1. Flyers (always)
2. Sixers (will be special in a few years)
3. Phillies ( would be 2nd if they make moves)
4. Whoever happens to play the beagles that day.
Vinny will be fine. Just wait till he puts one in and the fans will go wild.
I hope the Phantoms do well, but I really will not lose any sleep one way or the other.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
True, plus there's Hagg, too. The Lehigh Valley Monster Manual.

Ghosts, Ghouls, Haggs and Travis Sanheim... I mean Travis Samhain.

Samhain.jpg

It all fits pretty well with the Orange and Black.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyers then Phantoms.

It's impossible now and probably always was, but I wish that the Phantoms could have come to Wilmington.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Can we have GDT's for the Phantoms this year? Towards the end of last year when Hagg and later Ghost played, a lot of us were in the regular Phantoms/prospect thread talking about it anyway. The links were usually posted by someone.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can we have GDT's for the Phantoms this year? Towards the end of last year when Hagg and later Ghost played, a lot of us were in the regular Phantoms/prospect thread talking about it anyway. The links were usually posted by someone.

Maybe just one continuous GDT that lasted until it was full instead of one for each game.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
1. Flyers
2. Manchester City
3. England Cricket
4. Eagles
5. Phantoms
6. Modo
7. FC Utrecht
8. Lancashire Cricket
9. Brynas (I like them anyway as they always have great young exciting teams, but Lindblom makes it more so.)
10. Sheffield Steelers
11. Manchester Phoenix
12. Jokerit
13. Wigan Warriors
14. Cheshire Cricket
15. Sale Sharks
16. US Palermo
17. AC Milan
18. Rosenborg Trondheim
19. Chicago Bears
20. Frisk Asker Tigers

They are probably my sporting priorities for the year! :laugh: Also rans include the 6ers, Phillies, Armenia Bielefeld, Olympic Marseille, Anderlecht, West Indies Cricket, Rajasthan Royals... :shakehead:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The OP question about being "excited" will mean different things to different posters. I don't expect the Flyers to make much noise in terms of being legitimate Cup threats this season; I expect them to finish about exactly where they did this past season and probably be a first-round exit.

However, there's a fresh new perspective in leadership where speed and skill are slowly going to supplant tough and solid as the primary assets of this squad. The prospect pool is being restocked, and we can legitimately be excited about rookies and potential call-ups. I hope that the ripple effect is that the current NHLers – especially the defense – start to look in the rear-view mirror about who might be gunning for their jobs in the coming season.

I think Hextall was able to do what Holmgren wouldn't or couldn't: sell Mr. Snider on a 3–5-year plan rather than going hell bent for leather every season. We've seen some of the systematic approaches in the draft and uncharacteristic restraint during the FA frenzy, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out during the regular season. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a number of moves by GM Hextall that strengthen the club in the future rather than tunnel vision on the here and now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad