Which star Canadian players would make ideal linemates for McDavid?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Prime Hossa, Nash.

As said McDavid doesn't mesh well with wingers that like to drive their line. With someone like Hall, the problem becomes there's only one puck on the ice and they both want it.

RNH, and Draisaitl work well with McDavid because they have the talent to keep up, but know/understand how to read off what they're linemates are doing. A point both Hall and Ebs struggled with when playing with Connor.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Matthews is canadian now?
Well technically he has Canadian citizenship AFAIK so he would qualify as Canadian and could probably play for team Canada if he really wanted to, although Team Canada has so much depth, I don't think they would need him.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
McDavid needs a shooter on his line like Laine. That would be sick good, of course there is no chance of getting Laine from the Jets.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Everything you say Matthews Mcdavid wise is just stupid lol

That McDavid is the better player but Matthews is the better even strength scorer? The only stupid things getting said is by you in Leafs prospects threads.

Par for the course with that guy. I'm sure the best player in the league is gonna change positions for a non top 20 player that isn't even Canadian LOL.

Ideally you want a centre that can win draws and have the speedier player being able to fly down the wing. Maybe Matthews could carry McDavid to the playoffs?

was curious about that one as well.

Misread the question. Thought it was asking what player from a Canadian team would look good on McDavids wing

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
honestly i think schwartz would be the perfect fit. hes fast, plays hard, will go to any of the dirty areas and hes very good offensively AND defensively. i think hed work perfect

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
I'd say Marchand and Stone. Although Marchand is probably with Crosby so Benn+Senguin. Duchene could play LW with Stone though

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Mark Stone would be pretty ideal.

McDavid just needs guys who can battle, get the puck to him, get open and shoot.

I like the sounds of Schwartz on the other wing too.

Reactions: Oxymoron

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Stamkos. The only thing you need in order to be successful with McDavid is to know where the right areas of the ice to go are, and to be able to shoot the puck when it comes to you. Stamkos obviously is much more than that, but he does those things very well. I agree with Benn on the other wing as more of a net front presence

I was wondering when someone was going to say Stamkos. Had his best seasons with another puck-carrying playmaker in St. Louis, doesn't need the puck on his stick to be successful and is actually better without it, smart and knows where to be on the ice and the skating to get there, plus a killer shot. Seemed like an obvious fit. I guess people were thinking of him as a center, but Stamkos would never play center on Team Canada.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
McDavid would make an epic winger for Matthews. Matthews and McDavid looked unreal at the WHC though Matthews was the winger at the time due to seniority

Yeh have Matthews at Center even though McDavid is the way better playmaker. And he's not Canadian ffs.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Here's what would work great for McDavid based on how he plays.

You need a defensively responsible player who's good at takeaways on the D side of the puck. This will help McDavids transition game, the player creates the turnover, McDavid blazes up the ice and that player finds him. Someone like Bergeron would be perfect in this role.

You need a guy with a quick accurate release who's good at one timing. A sniper type player that can pot McDavids passes. Seguin would fit this role quite well with his one timer and sniping ability.

The answer is:

Bergeron - McDavid - Seguin

And the other thing good about this line and why it would work, McDavid could still be the main puck carrier on the line. He wouldn't have to share the puck as much with players who work best carrying the puck on their line. Like a Taylor Hall.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad