Which single-season roster would be the greatest team with players in their primes?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Off the top of my head, the 2001-2002 Detroit Red Wings:

Steve Yzerman 1988-89
Brendan Shanahan 1993-94
Sergei Fedorov 1993-94
Luc Robitaille 1992-93
Brett Hull 1990-91
Igor Larionov 1987-88 (with CSKA)
Pavel Datsyuk 2008-09
Kris Draper/Kirk Maltby 2003-04
Chris Chelios 1995-96
Nicklas Lidstrom 2005-06
Dominik Hasek 1997-98

Can any team come close to this?

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Going to be tough to beat a team with Hasek at goalie... but wouldn't mind seeing a match with the 1990-91 Penguins squad if they were all in their primes:

G- Tom Barrasso

Defensemen
---------------
Paul Coffey
Grant Jennings
Larry Murphy
Gordie Roberts
Ulf Samuelsson
Peter Taglianetti
(Zarley Zalapski)

Forwards
------------
Phil Bourque
Bob Errey
Ron Francis
Jiri Hrdina
Jaromir Jagr
Mario Lemieux
Troy Loney
Joe Mullen
Barry Pederson
Mark Recchi
Kevin Stevens
Tony Tanti
Bryan Trottier
Scott Young
(Rob Brown)
(John Cullen)

(traded before playoffs)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Anyone care to try and fight off the 1967 Leafs in their primes? I'm going to adjust Red Kelly to defense on this team. Unbelievable this team would be. Sawchuk, Bower, Kelly, Horton, Stanley, Pronovost, Keon, Armstrong, Pulford, Mahovlich, Pappin. Nicely done.

And take your pick with the 1971 or 1973 Canadiens. The '71 team had Beliveau. The '73 team had Robinson, Shutt and Lafleur by then. Both teams had Dryden, both Mahovlichs, Laperriere, H. Richard, Cournoyer, Savard, Lapointe, Lemaire. Crazy.

Or an underrated team that didn't win would be the 2004 Leafs. Belfour, Leetch, Francis, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Sundin, Renberg, Reichel, Mogilny, Nolan, McCabe, Kaberle. I remember thinking that if this were 1995 this team would be a lock to win the Cup. Come to think of it, those Leaf teams were very good teams and this was one particular team that could have won and no one would have batted an eyelash

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Also, the Rangers have a number of good "prime" teams from in the late '90s until the lockout.

Some of the players from '98 to '04 Rangers that never made the playoffs:

Richter, Leetch, Gretzky, Messier, Lindros, Bure, LaFontaine, Fleury, Kovalev, Nedved, M.Savard, Graves, K.Stevens, Holik, Kamensky

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Are the dynasty era Edmonton Oilers disqualified from this? ;)

I'd say their 1987 cup winning team would fit in well in a discussion like this.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
The 55-56 Habs had (I believe) 14 players who were post season all-stars at one point in their career. They top my list.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
The 55-56 Habs had (I believe) 14 players who were post season all-stars at one point in their career. They top my list.

Agree.

Jean Beliveau - 1st team all star (6 times), 2nd team all star (4 times)
Maurice Richard - 1st team all star (8 times), 2nd team all star (6 times)
Bert Olmstead - 2nd team all star (2 times)
Bernie Geoffrion - 1st team all star (1 time), 2nd team all star (2 times)
Dickie Moore - 1st team all star (2 times), 2nd team all star (1 time)
Doug Harvey - 1st team all star (10 times), 2nd team all star (1 time)
Henri Richard - 1st team all star (1 time), 2nd team all star (3 times)
Ken Mosdell - 1st team all star (1 time), 2nd team all star (1 time)
Claude Provost - 1st team all star (1 time)
Jean Guy Talbot - 1st team all star (1 time)
Tom Johnson - 1st team all star (1 time), 2nd team all star (1 time)
Donnie Marshall - 2nd team all star (1 time)
Butch Bouchard - 1st team all star (3 times), 2nd team all star (1 time)
Jacques Plante - 1st team all star (3 times), 2nd team all star (4 times)

I haven't checked but I think you would be hard pressed to find a single team in NHL history that had 14 players that at one point in their career had been named to at least one postseason first or second all star team, much less a combined 38 first all star team selections and 27 second all star team selections.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Are the dynasty era Edmonton Oilers disqualified from this? ;)

I'd say their 1987 cup winning team would fit in well in a discussion like this.

Was going to say the same thing. The same applies to the early 80's Islanders. Both of these teams had pretty much all of their key players peaking at the same time, no need for much fantasizing.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
1919 Senators had Clint Benedict, Eddie Gerard, George Boucher, Spregue Cleghorn, Harry Cameron, Frank Nighbor, Cy Denneny, Jack Darragh, Punch Broadbet, Skene Ronan.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
Agree.

I haven't checked but I think you would be hard pressed to find a single team in NHL history that had 14 players that at one point in their career had been named to at least one postseason first or second all star team, much less a combined 38 first all star team selections and 27 second all star team selections.

Ooooo....a 1st team allstar in a 6 team league! Very impressive!

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Ooooo....a 1st team allstar in a 6 team league! Very impressive!

Less teams has no barring on who the best player is. Use some logic please. Your line of thinking states that Daniel Sedin magically becomes better than Alex Ovechkin if we reduce the amount of teams. More to the point, it means the lesser players are in the minors.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
Not as big a powerhouse as some others mentioned, but I've always felt that the 03-04 Leafs would've gone far in the playoffs if you could've used a time machine and replaced the vets with younger and healthier versions of themselves:

Roberts-Sundin-Mogilny
Nolan-Nieuwendyk-Antropov
Renberg-Francis-Fitzgerald
Domi- Reichel-Tucker

ex: Kilger, Stajan

Mccabe-Leetch
Kaberle-Johanssen
Klee-Marchment
ex: Berg

Belfour
Kidd

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I don't know about the greatest of all-time, but I remember thinking the 2004 Rangers had a pretty impressive list of players who were really good in their primes. I believe at one time, the Rangers had Jagr, Bure, Lindros, Fleury, Kovalev, Leetch, and Messier.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
With 6 teams some currently 2nd liners wouldn't even play in the NHL.

The 55-56 Habs take the price for shure if in context of the period. And thats what this forum is about. But the 50-mile limit rule gave non-canadian teams a disadvantage for shure considering where the talentpool laid in those years. The NHL was basically a canadian league.

/Cheers

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Anyone care to try and fight off the 1967 Leafs in their primes? I'm going to adjust Red Kelly to defense on this team. Unbelievable this team would be. Sawchuk, Bower, Kelly, Horton, Stanley, Pronovost, Keon, Armstrong, Pulford, Mahovlich, Pappin. Nicely done.

And take your pick with the 1971 or 1973 Canadiens. The '71 team had Beliveau. The '73 team had Robinson, Shutt and Lafleur by then. Both teams had Dryden, both Mahovlichs, Laperriere, H. Richard, Cournoyer, Savard, Lapointe, Lemaire. Crazy.

Or an underrated team that didn't win would be the 2004 Leafs. Belfour, Leetch, Francis, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Sundin, Renberg, Reichel, Mogilny, Nolan, McCabe, Kaberle. I remember thinking that if this were 1995 this team would be a lock to win the Cup. Come to think of it, those Leaf teams were very good teams and this was one particular team that could have won and no one would have batted an eyelash

By 2004 none of those players, save Sundin really warranted being in the NHL. If that team won the cup it would have been a miracle.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
How about the 2002 Detroit Red Wings?

Yzerman
Fedorov
Robitaille
Hull
Holmstrom
Datsyuk
Larionov
Draper
Shanahan
Lidstrom
Chelios
Olausson
Duchesne
Hasek

Throw in Bowman behind the bench and that's a really tough team to top.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The 55-56 Habs take the price for shure if in context of the period. And thats what this forum is about. But the 50-mile limit rule gave non-canadian teams a disadvantage for shure considering where the talentpool laid in those years. The NHL was basically a canadian league.

/Cheers
The 50 mile limit only applied to to players that weren't already signed by NHL clubs. The best players were all signed at young ages though, and those players were free to sign with whoever they wanted.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not so much a top to bottom contender for this thread, but I imagine the '80 Whalers would have loved Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, and Dave Keon in their primes.

Another interesting one that popped to mind, the '95 Wings would have had a ridiculous D if they had matching primes.

Nick Lidstrom, Slava Fetisov, Paul Coffey, Vladimir Konstantinov, Mark Howe, and Mike Ramsey.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Agree.

Tom Johnson, when coach of the 1970-71 Bruins, said that Bruin team was better than the 5 cup Canadien's teams, and that Bruin's team, even though my sentimental favorite, pales in comparison to the dynasties that came later.

Time marches on...athletes get better, not worse...legends die hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad