• 2017 - 2018

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • 2023-2024

Votes: 30 53.6%

• Total voters

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm adding some disappointments just for fun and I have this season pretty damn low, basically at the bottom. It's frustrating, but it's just more of the same that we've basically become accustomed to under Dorion, not some big rollercoaster where I feel like my emotions are a wreck. I rank them in order of...

2002-03 - This was our best shot we ever had imo and I can never be convinced otherwise. f*** Jeff Friesen.

2005-06 - Lost Hasek season. With him in net, THIS would have been our best chance ever imo. I never had faith in Emery from the beginning. How could you really with such a stark drop off from the legend.

2016-17 - Yes, this was a Cinderella run, but 1 goal away from the Finals in double OT and I liked our chances against Nashville better than I did against Anaheim in 06-07.

2006-07 - Made it to the finals in a bit of a breeze. Unfortunately, I never liked our chances against Anaheim, especially with Emery as our starter. I'd basically prepared myself before the series started.

2003-04 - Tough Lalime goals in the year we were finally supposed to beat them. Then we had to live down never beating the Leafs. I might have taken a game 7 win over a Stanley Cup still to this day.

2017-18 - I didn't have a ton of hope for this team knowing Karlsson's status and some detractions from the roster, but I didn't know we were heading in to such a dark timeline after. Painful realization that everyone was leaving and we were in for at least half a decade of garbage hockey. Melnyk reality still looming killing faith in said rebuild plan.

2023-24 - Long painful rebuild realized as a failure and needing major surgery. But I'm not feeling attached to it, and always thought the guys behind it were making too many mistakes, so as disappointing as it is, I don't find it overly surprising.

Hell, I would even rank some other seasons above this one. The Hamburgler season fell flat pretty quickly after making it in. I drank the kool-aid pretty hard and was more disappointed then. Same with the year we acquired Sutton/Cullen, thought we were ready to do serious damage. 2007-08 was pretty gut wrenching too. I was so against the way the Dorion/Melnyk regime operated that I don't feel attached to the team they built. I still want success for them, but there's a bit of an "I told you so element" to the current situation that's kept me detached. That and sometimes these are just moments that can't be re-created. 39 year old me just doesn't care like 18 year old me did, so it's impossible to be as disappointed really. You get old enough and you realize these things don't actually matter as much as you thought they did.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL and bicboi64

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Pick any of the 4 years we lost to Toronto, probably the last year though because it just kept getting incrementally worse.

Nothing is worse than not living up to expectations

I really haven't had expectations since the 07-08 season. Lots of wins and losses since then. Highs and lows.

But it's been a long time since I expected to win.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
For me it was more palatable in 17-18 because we had just went on a run which was unexpected and while I was hoping for success I was not convinced that team was good enough to go as far as it did in 16-17.

This year is not only this year, it's a culmination of 17-18 until now. This team has been bad for a long time and I think the scorched earth rebuild was positive with the vision of becoming a good team around this time. This year has been a lot more difficult with Norris injured again, no goalies, no prospects, no depth, and a pick lost from Dadonov situation ... and once again a bottom 5 team.

I think this season was a lot more dissapointing and difficult and I've really become less and less interested in this team and watching games. I'm quite mad about how things played out and how Dorion scrapped all the progress that was made in a span of 18 months. Unfortunately I don't think this is the end of it though, I don't think this team is in the playoffs next year and I'm not sure they're in the playoffs the year after either. I think it's a combination of how long it's been to still be a terrible team with no clear indications that the team will be better.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Between those two seasons only, 2017-2018 was worse and may be one of the worst in history…AINEC

- trading Kyle turris sucked. Not too far from heroics in the playoffs and the tie in with capital city condors…:it was heartbreaking to see him get traded. We’d have been on another level if we added duchene to the lineup while keeping turris

- we let Marc methot go for nothing and instead of supplementing the lineup with quality players, we went cheap and only got Johnny oduya. Being in game 7 conference final overtime should have been a signal that we were close to being a championship team, not one f*** was given and instead we went the budgetary route.

- the public ‘clash’ with karlsson negotiation started. Dorion went from saying ‘god created EK on the 7th day’ to ‘anyone can be traded, even Gretzky got traded’. To top it off, EK went through a personal tragedy with his first child being a still-born, and then he grabbed the puck in his last game. f***ing awful.

- oh Alfie left the org again in the offseason. And Bryan Murray passed away

- months after getting duchene we say we’re going on a full rebuild. Another sad realization that we weren’t that serious about competing and budgets were taking precedence over winning the cup.

- after season is over, we learn of karlsson/hoffman drama, and then randy lee sexual assault charge

Coming this crushingly close to the cup finals after 10 years and then these series of events…it’s no competition. This was all legit depressing and knowing the people with some level of control were still in charge made it worse. Remember the town hall meeting with the season ticket holders?

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL and bicboi64

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Does Anderson deserve more blame for 2017-18?
  • 25-11-4, 2.28, 0.926 in 2016-17
  • 23-25-6, 3.32, 0.898 in 2017-18
For sure. Him and Condon were both terrible.

A lot going on in front of them too though. Methot and Macarthur gone. Karlsson out and then not recovered. Brassard coming off a major surgery. Phaneuf, Smith & Ryan fell off a cliff. Some others I can't recall.

Definitely not all on the core guys imo.

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Does Anderson deserve more blame for 2017-18?
  • 25-11-4, 2.28, 0.926 in 2016-17
  • 23-25-6, 3.32, 0.898 in 2017-18
That locker room was such a mess it trickled into everyone’s performance. I don’t think he really deserves more blame, it was a product of the environment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad