Votes: 26 46.4%
  • 2023-2024

Votes: 30 53.6%

• Total voters

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
17-18
Sens coming off the ECF and added Matt Duchene. Strong start to the season. Then everything crumbled. We lost the most talented player to ever put on the jersey followed by losing all the guys in the next season. The Sens decided to start a rebuild with a owner you knew would never spend on a championship calibre team.

23-24
New owner, Dorion fired. Team spends to the cap for the first time in 15 years. Core entering their mid 20's. Signed Tarasenko. Added Chychrun the prior year. Healthy Norris means you are entering the season with the best centre depth since this teams peak. Pinto gets suspended, Team bottoms out. Hire an unproven GM again.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
2017-2018 was way worse imo. When ownership is bad there is no way to really fix anything so the whole thing felt kind of hopeless.

This year has been so frustrating but it’s mostly a product of losing for so long. I can’t say I feel totally confident about the future but I don’t feel like it’s a sunk ship either.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Seeing Karlsson play Conn Smythe worthy playoff hockey and then as soon as the next season knowing we'll never see that again in Ottawa, yeah that sucked

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
2017-2018 for me. Just sucked to know that we couldn't succeed with the kind of ownership that we had. I'm hopeful today because Andlauer can't possibly be worse than Melnyk in terms of opening his wallet

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Oh, what a depressing thread. It's getting to the point we've had more disappointing years over good ones in the last, what...10? 15 years?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
At least there is potential on the horizon with new ownership about to have their first full off season.

That 2018 collapse had nothing in n the horizon but more thunder clouds.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya, most definitely 2018 was soul crushing. Knowing that was the last go with that group after they blew their wad on Duchene was really hard to stomach. That was the point most people completely lost faith in Melnyk's operation.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Recency Bias

2017-2018 was heart breaking knowing the whole thing was done for and there were only dark days ahead. There’s still plenty of potential runway with this group. We could potentially retool the whole team twice over before Sanderson’s next contract.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
How can anyone find this season soul crushing?

Screenshot-2024-03-11-123232.png

• Wow
Reactions: thinkwild

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's this season.

Sure, it was a massive fall-off from ECF Game 7 double OT against the Stanley Cup champs.

But we're in our 7th season of trying to just make the playoffs. If you had told me in August 2017 we were going to have the third longest active playoff drought among NHL teams (potentially second longest if Detroit makes the playoffs)... I would not have believed you. I would have said we had Karlsson and Stone and we could build around that.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
This season, for sure.

Having modest expectations (taking next steps, being in the playoff picture) for this season, finally getting out of a horrible ownership and front office, and seeing them utterly fail as a team to meet them, has been a gut punch to my fandom and interest in the players on this team.

Going through the early re-build process was tough, but easy to find a silver lining of hope for the future. This has been so much worse though. Why the f*** did we stick around, only to be served up the heaping pile that is this season?

It's been weird to become completely detached to the people wearing the uniform. We've all been debating who to keep and who to trade, but my honest take is that I don't really care who stays or goes anymore. No one is untouchable to me anymore. Make whatever changes are needed to get us out of this pile of shit Dorion left us with.

We either turn this around next season, or we're facing another lengthy rebuild with minimal capital via which to do so. It's the dread hanging over this season and coming into next that's so tough right now as a fan.

• Love
Reactions: LiseL

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This season was supposed to be the “light at the end of the tunnel”…. and the playoffs were almost a given…at least that’s what most people and pundits were saying…..

And then the Pinto suspension, followed by a number of injuries to key players, leading to not having the entire lineup on ice, healthy, at the same time for most of the season…

The slow start ….. again, the reluctance to fire the coach by the rookie GM until is was almost too late, the season could have been salvaged if the rookie GM would have brought in one of the available coaches known to get results (Berube).

Replacing the coach, with the goal of reteaching the basics ….DURING the season, with basically a substitute teacher who everyone knew was NOT returning next season……. Never seen this arrangement ever….. essentially throwing in the towel.

No discernible “New Coach Bump” as has happened in Edmonton and New York……

Well, there was that one bright spot, the rookie GM picked up that guy, on waivers…….at the trade deadline!

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I don't think I was as sold on our roster in 17-18, so it didn't sting quite as much. This year sucks but can be attributed to growing pains - at least I hope.

07-08 is my answer. We had a legitimate contender for a few years and it all fell apart after a blazing hot start. We've never truly rebuilt a contender and are on our third core since.

Reactions: DrEasy

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Definitely this year. A big factor for my thought process is that we have not made the playoffs in years now. I also have a very committed Sens fan in my 16yr old boy who has yet to experience a Sens playoff run. We were convinced this was the year. But alas, mega mega disappointment this year in our household

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I wonder how the results would be if we added the 2007-2008 roster. That team was built to contend and not fizzle, and boy did it fizzle.

If you told me a team that made the finals, that still had most of its core and depth would barely squeak into the playoffs, i'd tell you you're nuts.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
This year for sure.

I've never felt such hopelessness with this franchise. This off season is the single most important off season of this franchise's history. The team, under new ownership, either makes the right moves in coaching and personnel that propels this team forward. Or they continue the status quo and this team falls deeper into the hole.

I won't go deeper in the hole with them. My line in the sand is right here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad