Which Red Wings do you think will go to the Worlds?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I'm not sure if any of the Olympians would go. They had an extremely grueling schedule, unlike any other season, and the Worlds are in Latvia (while a beautiful country, with awesome fans, it doesn't have the allure of other, Western European cities).

I think this World Championships will be mostly devoid of big name players.

Jazz

Tricolore#20 said:
I'm not sure if any of the Olympians would go. They had an extremely grueling schedule, unlike any other season, and the Worlds are in Latvia (while a beautiful country, with awesome fans, it doesn't have the allure of other, Western European cities)....
I'll have to agree with my esteemed colleague.

PS. Tricolore - Russel Peter's DVD is out.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Jazz said:
I'll have to agree with my esteemed colleague.

PS. Tricolore - Russel Peter's DVD is out.

That's funny that you mention that, because I'm going to the Russell Peters show tomorrow, here in Edmonton. I'm going to miss much of the Canadiens game for it unfortunately.

As for the World Championships, there was an article in the Edmonton Journal this past weekend that suggested that Canada and several European federations won't ask their Olympians to commit to the tournament, because of the schedule. I was hoping that most nations would send young players, and we'd have a pseudo U-23/U-25 tournament or something to that effect. However, I do realize that despite the Olympics, this tournament remains a serious one for those players who played in Europe this winter.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Tricolore#20 said:
As for the World Championships, there was an article in the Edmonton Journal this past weekend that suggested that Canada and several European federations won't ask their Olympians to commit to the tournament, because of the schedule.
I completely understand the Swede's taking some time off after winning the Olympics, but I would think that all Canadian Olympians would want to play out of humility to make up for their horrible Olympic effort. A lot of the guys have had over two weeks off already, more than enough time to make up for the lack of an Olympic break.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
As for the World Championships, there was an article in the Edmonton Journal this past weekend that suggested that Canada and several European federations won't ask their Olympians to commit to the tournament, because of the schedule.
Sweden doesn't have any NHL-based Olympian on their roster (yet ?), but Slovakia, Czechia, Russia and Finland do : Ovechkin, Hossa, Vyborny just to name a few.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Rob said:
Datsyuk had another bad playoff series. Wings fans might be upset if he went to the World Championships and played well for Russia.

Au contraire.

IF he plays well there we know he can deliver the goods and his linemates in Detroit are rotten (or well we know he's got no chemistry with them anyway). Seeing that he declined it's moot anyway. :teach:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad