Which record is more likely to be broken?

Which record falls first

• Consecutive Games with a Hit (56)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Which MLB record do you think would be the first to be broken?

I know DiMaggio's has been the gold-standard as far as longevity - quite fittingly, for that matter. Not sure if we'll ever see one player maintain a hot streak for that long.

Interesting to note: while Ichiro holds the record for posting 10 consecutive 200+ hit seasons, not once did he ever have a hitting streak of 30 games or more. I was surprised to see that.

Also, added the caveat that the strikeout record must be done in regular innings.....apparently one pitcher racked up 21 K's in a single game, but it took him 16 innings to do it. :laugh:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'll say hits in a season. Although I don't see any of them getting broken anytime soon.

Hit streak ain't happening.

While strikeouts are way up, pitchers are getting yanked a lot earlier too.

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I voted for 262 hits in a season but to be honest I don't know how close people have got recently... LOL

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i bet scherzer could get 23 on some nights.

all it takes is a team letting a guy air it out, which does happen from time to time, and see if he could do it.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Easily the hits in a season.

If baseball does indeed end up with just a bull pen of pitchers then complete games will be a thing of the past, so that means that record will be safe.
(on a side note, perhaps baseballs most unbreakable record, Johnny Vander Meer's consecutive no hitter record will also be safe)

No one will break the hitting streak record either. The pressure will be too enormous.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I went with the 20 K's in a single game

Why? Because it can happen in a single game

It can but the longer it goes the less likely it is with the watering down of a starting pitcher's workload. OTOH given how the proclivity for K's has increased in general you never know. By far the hit streak is the toughest of those three though. Sure there've been people who've hit in more games in the minors and college I think but doing that in the pressure cooker of today's media environment against MLB pitchers is just asking too much. What's the longest streak since Pete Rose 40 years ago, Molitor's 39 in 1987 more than 30 years ago? That's two and a half weeks off Joe D.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hits in a season. 20Ks could happen too.

No one is going to break 56 games though. That is an absurd record. In a perfect neutral setting it is extremely unlikely, but add the media pressure cooker and it won’t happen.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Getting 21 out of 27 outs via strikeout just seems otherworldly to me.

Then again, so does getting 20/27, which is why it's happened so rarely I suppose.

Watch some rookie have the start of his life and rack up 22 K's next season. :laugh:

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
It's got to be the 20 strikeouts. The recent trend of pulling a pitcher after 90-100 pitches make it highly improbable, but not impossible.

The closest to Ichiro's single season hits record in the past twenty years, besides Ichiro himself, is Darin Erstad who had 240 hits in the 2000 season. It's not necessarily unbreakable, but it's safe for the foreseeable future.

DiMaggio's hit streak will never be broken. Besides the kind of pressure that comes with going after that streak, once you get around a 25-game hit streak, you'd be lucky to see anything other than unhittable trash, everything being either pitches in the dirt or a foot off the plate.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's got to be the 20 strikeouts. The recent trend of pulling a pitcher after 90-100 pitches make it highly improbable, but not impossible.

The closest to Ichiro's single season hits record in the past twenty years, besides Ichiro himself, is Darin Erstad who had 240 hits in the 2000 season. It's not necessarily unbreakable, but it's safe for the foreseeable future.

DiMaggio's hit streak will never be broken. Besides the kind of pressure that comes with going after that streak, once you get around a 25-game hit streak, you'd be lucky to see anything other than unhittable trash, everything being either pitches in the dirt or a foot off the plate.

Imagine having the stones, as a manager, to face a player who is close to breaking that streak......and walking him every at-bat, thus ending the streak and preserving DiMaggio's record. I could see Maddon doing that. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad