Which prospect would you have preferred to give up in the Toffoli deal?

Which prospect would you have preferred traded in addition to a 2nd in the Toffoli deal?

• Total voters

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I think this might be the first thread I’ve posted, so take it easy please.

I was just thinking back to when the deal was originally posted, it just said a 2nd and a prospect, and I remember thinking who might that be? So that inspired this poll.

I was just wondering what your opinion is on the matter. Feel free to post a comment on the reasons why you preferred that prospect be in the deal, or why you think the deal is fine the way it is.

This isn’t to discuss ineptitude of management or Benning. I’m not their biggest fan, but I can also admit when they do something good. But if you have to vent, go ahead, I understand.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
What prospect would you give up that Los Angeles would want back?
Would Juolevi have gotten it done? Probably not.
Lind? Ehhh. Maybe.

This thread is going to devolve into a continuation of the 'shouldn't have done' anything debate going on in the Toffoli trade thread, but it's an interesting question.

edit: You'd have to think that with Hughes already on the roster, one of Rafferty or Rathbone is going to ultimately be expendable right?

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Gad.
But I don't think anyone is taking him...

On the list its Madden or Rathbone.
Rathbone is intriguing in concept based on how his skills are talked about. Have yet to see him play more than catching 4 shifts of a randomly telecast Harward game.... so he's a mystery box of sorts.

Madden I've seen him play...

So voted Madden.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Kole Lind or olli juolevi

yeah thats not getting us Tyler Tofolli.

I think LA would have accepted Gaudette, Podz, Hoglander, Madden, Rafferty, Rathbone, Demko or if we changed the 2nd into a 1st this year or next.

Based on that, im perfectly fine that its Madden.

My only small beef is that i wish we used Madden to trade for a legit Dman.

Though i admitt, Madden and a 2nd wouldnt get us a legit Dman, someone like Dumba or Brodin so im good with Tofolli. Especially if he re-signs.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
404-Chicken-Run-quotes.gif

Deal never should have happened. Keep the prospects and the picks for a couple of years down the line, and then if the team is a cup contender you can trade a prospect away for a key rental.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Based on previous transactions, the #2 pick plus a mid-rounder should have been enough. If not, look somewhere else.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Rafferty for sure, because I don't know if his defensive ability will translate all that well to the NHL, and he's the player I think has the least upside on that list, but I don't know if LA would have taken him over Madden (Rafferty is, of course, 24 years old and still in the AHL). Only reason I can see preferring Madden over him is that forwards are a position of strength in our pipeline, and defense is much weaker (Rathbone and Rafferty being the only intriguing prospects to me from the back end)

Madden would have been my second player to get rid of from that list

Reactions: HockeyWooot

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Rafferty for sure, because I don't know if his defensive ability will translate all that well to the NHL, and he's the player I think has the least upside on that list, but I don't know if LA would have taken him over Madden (Rafferty is, of course, 24 years old and still in the AHL). Only reason I can see preferring Madden over him is that forwards are a position of strength in our pipeline, and defense is much weaker (Rathbone and Rafferty being the only intriguing prospects to me from the back end)

Madden would have been my second player to get rid of from that list

Personally, I'm rating the D prospects Rathbone/Woo/Rafferty in that order with only my subjective analysis to back that up.
I understand you have to give to get, but I'd not have wanted to give up the first two and I doubt LA would want Rafferty as any sort of prospect centerpiece.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For me Rathbone. I am/was much higher on Madden than Rathbone, and with Hughes and potentially Rafferty we have enough of that style of defenceman.
An emphatic 'no' to Rathbone.....with Juolevi looking like a flame-out, Rathbone is far and away the best d-man prospect they have. And impact d-men are far harder to find in the draft than forwards. And any time you can find one in the fourth round, it's 'found money'.

Really, when you step back and look at objectively, Madden was probably the kid they could most afford to sacrifice for immediate help.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
My answer is none of the above, however just going by personal prospect rankings (ie, who is the lowest) my answer would be Rafferty.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Nothing. I would've waited until July 1st and then signed him as a UFA.

Pacific is weak, major injuries to alot of the teams!

down season for central teams as well.

This is the year we gotta take a shot at it,

Markstrom is playing vezina level, hughes having a ridiculous calder season, tanev healthy, EP40 and Hughes on ELC. We gotta take this shot!

We can beat anyone in the Pacific and give the Core some valuable valuable experience.

There is also guarantee that Top TT would sign with us on July 1st, this way we can have the extra 4 months to make him fall i love with the city, fans and players.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017

Markstrom is playing vezina level, hughes having a ridiculous calder season, tanev healthy, EP40 and Hughes on ELC. We gotta take this shot!

We can beat anyone in the Pacific and give the Core some valuable valuable experience.

There is also guarantee that Top TT would sign with us on July 1st, this way we can have the extra 4 months to make him fall i love with the city, fans and players.
We arent winning shit man. 1st round exit is most likely.

what is the long term vision here? There doesn’t seem to be one.

Reactions: Luckylarry

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
We arent winning shit man. 1st round exit is most likely.

what is the long term vision here? There doesn’t seem to be one.

even 1st round exit is very valuable experience and culture for our young core.

It means they came up clutch the last 25 games in high pressure competitive environment and then get to experience playoff hockey which is another level on its own.

As for long term vision:

Core is:

Horvat
Miller
Boeser
Ep40
Hughes
Markstrom/Demko

Surround them each and every year with legit NHLers and take cracks at the playoffs as many times as possible while we have them. We never know when the stars will allign and we go on a deep run, but when we have players like Ep40 and Hughes we will always have a shot. We will win some trades and we will lose some trades. We will trade some assets and some assets will help the core.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Rafferty because it's unlikely he sticks as an NHLer. Madden has a better chance of becoming a middle six forward on a cost-controlled contract.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Tofoli is due a major raise on his current $4.6m contract as a UFA in the off-season. 'Falling in love' with the city, fans and players in VanCity is a warm and fuzzy thought. But the difference in taxes alone on a $5.5 - 6m a season salary between B.C. and some other warm-weather city in the U.S., would by itself be enough be drive him to the airport.

Besides the Canucks can't pay Tofoli that kind of money, even if they wanted to. I suppose if they let both Tanev and Markstrom 'walk' there might be room to pay Tofoli a ridiculous amount of money as a UFA. But why? The Canucks already have enough of those guys plugging up their bottom-six.

Nope, Tofoli is a 'rental' pure and simple. And if the Canucks don't make the playoffs, then it's an awful trade for the present and the future. But then, there's a chance Jimbo wouldn't be around for the brick-bats anyway.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

member 290103

Tofoli is due a major raise on his current $4.6m contract as a UFA in the off-season. 'Falling in love' with the city, fans and players in VanCity is a warm and fuzzy thought. But the difference in taxes alone on a $5.5 - 6m a season salary between B.C. and some other warm-weather city in the U.S., would by itself be enough be drive him to the airport.

Besides the Canucks can't pay Tofoli that kind of money, even if they wanted to. I suppose if they let both Tanev and Markstrom 'walk' there might be room to pay Tofoli a ridiculous amount of money as a UFA. But why? The Canucks already have enough of those guys plugging up their bottom-six.

Nope, Tofoli is a 'rental' pure and simple. And if the Canucks don't make the playoffs, then it's an awful trade for the present and the future. But then, there's a chance Jimbo wouldn't be around for the brick-bats anyway.

if the Canucks make the playoffs and get dominated and lose quickly was it worth it?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

dont think so, i think they can sign Top TT to a nice multi year deal with AAV of aorund 5 mil.

I also have no problem with walking away from Marsktrom if he demands too much.
I have faith in what Calrk can do to Demko

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 3