Prospect Info: Which Prospect Will Take The Biggest Step Next Year?

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Biggs on forward and Loov on the backend.

Biggs should get a bigger roll this year with better line mates. Hopefully he gets some powerplay time this year too. He's already a lot bigger an stronger than a lt of guys in the AHL and he moves around this ice pretty well. Like others have mentioned, if he can find some consistency to his game and gets to play with guys who aren't pure plugs then I think this could be a nice year for Biggs.

I think Loov will step into the AHL with no problems just based on what I have read and heard about him. Very excited to see him and Nilsson this year on marlies

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Verhaeghe will be touted as our 2nd best prospect after he posts 100+ points as a 19 year old in the OHL.

Granberg will make the jump to the NHL and leave a good impression as well.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Verhaeghe will be touted as our 2nd best prospect after he posts 100+ points as a 19 year old in the OHL.

Granberg will make the jump to the NHL and leave a good impression as well.

verhaeghe put up 82 pts last season so I think it would be a bit disappointing season if he didn't put up close to a 100 pts, or a pace close to that should he get injuried or go to the WJHC.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Leivo and Granberg become NHL regulars
Gauthier has a monster year and leafs canada to WJC Gold
Loov shows he's legit

Biggs... Sucks again

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That is what I would have posted as well.

He is the most likely Marlie graduate to become an NHLer this year, even more so now that Ranger has officially moved on and Leafs have a roster spot for a Dman.

I agree with Granberg....I believe he is going to start in the NHL and have a very good season. Had we had some injuries on D last year he would have likely played last season more than the one game he did. How he was not rated as one of our top prospects is odd. Finn was ranked by this board ahead of him despite not even establishing that he can play in the AHL yet!

morrielly

Dec 4, 2012
toronto
Going off whatever i know about the kid, Engvall should definitely be an option. He has some legt potential to open up some eyes

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
verhaeghe put up 82 pts last season so I think it would be a bit disappointing season if he didn't put up close to a 100 pts, or a pace close to that should he get injuried or go to the WJHC.

Mhmm, yet HFboards consensus has him as our 9th best prospect by Toronto's own fans, behind Connor Brown and others. Meanwhile Brown put up 69 points at the same age (actually 8 months older) and wasn't the best player on his line. Verhaeghe put up 82 and is the best player on his.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Gauthier and Herzog for myself.

I think Gauthier can provide more offense and I really want to see if Herzog can produce more in a mens league than in the Q.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Not sure why Finn wasn't an option... he has a lot to prove considering he was playing on a pretty stacked OHL team, but I still think he has potential to be a good-great NHL player (#2-4, most likely #4). Other than skating, he has all the tools you want in a prospect (decent size, good hockey IQ, good shot, fantastic positioning, good board work, etc.).

I'm hoping Underhill can work her magic with Finn... He'd be the guy I would want to work with Underhill more than anybody else, he has the most to gain of any prospect if he improves his skating (in my opinion).

Donald McRonald

Interested observer
Sep 13, 2009
United Nations
I went with Gauthier for the simple fact that more than half of you voted him our number three prospect. I better see some good stuff from this kid next year.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I feel like Johnson, Nilsson, Brown, and Leivo seem like the only players that would have a hard time taking a big step forward next year as these 4 players already had very good season last year... They could take a big step forward, but it's less likely for these players in my honest opinion.

LeafsKessel

Jan 16, 2014
Montreal
Every year there is a Leafs prospect or two (or three) that really takes a step in his development and garners a lot of attention here after being a bit of an unknown. Last year it was guys like Johnson and Bibeau. Ok, so outside of guys like Finn and Nylander who we know will be good - who do you think will raise themselves from a B or C prospect to an A prospect this year? Why?

Personally, I think Johnson & Leivo will take another big step towards becoming solid top 6 wingers, and guys like Valiev and Loov will be having us drool about our future D corp

So - it's not who is the best prospect - but rather who will take the biggest jump forward? Your thoughts?

I think Frederick Gauthier will make the biggest step.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
Mhmm, yet HFboards consensus has him as our 9th best prospect by Toronto's own fans, behind Connor Brown and others. Meanwhile Brown put up 69 points at the same age (actually 8 months older) and wasn't the best player on his line. Verhaeghe put up 82 and is the best player on his.

If Verhaeghe scores close to 130 points next year, then you're damn right I'll vote him higher than Brown (even if he doesnt play mario kart 64...).

edit: Honestly, I watched maybe half an IceDogs game this past season. Having McDavid sure helped Brown, not familiar with Verhaeghe's situation.

Last edited:

mikebel111*

If Verhaeghe scores close to 130 points next year, then you're damn right I'll vote him higher than Brown (even if he doesnt play mario kart 64...).

edit: Honestly, I watched maybe half an IceDogs game this past season. Having McDavid sure helped Brown, not familiar with Verhaeghe's situation.

Brown and McDavid didn't play together like 80% of the time
Brown didn't put up points because of McDavid. So no having McDavid didn't help Brown.
They were pretty much on separate lines

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Brown and McDavid didn't play together like 80% of the time
Brown didn't put up points because of McDavid. So no having McDavid didn't help Brown.
They were pretty much on separate lines

I think it still would have helped Brown because it meant he wasn't constantly playing against the opponents' best shutdown guys, whereas in Niagara they didn't have much secondary scoring so Verhaeghe + Perlini were pretty much always matched up against the best defensive players.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Stuart Percy. Have been impressed with him literally every time I've watched him play.

Percy is one of those kids who just seems to do everything in a very quiet and conservative way and rarely if ever is caught out of position. He skates very well, he has a high hockeyQ and he's strong enough to take on most forwards in the AHL, I think another summer of working out and gaining the so called man strength will put him at the next level. While a majority of people seem to like Granberg I think Percy is the one that makes the step to the NHL first.

Having two really solid d-prospects this close is an awful good problem to have

Gregg mckegg

Leivo McKegg Brown

don't be surprised if this becomes the deadliest line in the A in the upcoming season

McKegg made steady improvement's all year, tweaking his game and getting time in all situations and playing all 3 forward positions as needed. He's become very well rounded in his game and has enough of mean streak to keep opponents honest.

again the Leafs have some kids who all seem very close to being NHL ready which is a pleasent problem to have

Of all the Marlie forwards last year I thought Peter Holland looked like he had completely surpassed the AHL and really belonged on the NHL roster. If he continues his hard-work and keeps concentration I think he stays up with the Leafs this year. I don't know if any of you guys are old enough to remember Tom Lysiak(he and Sittler had some epic nights against each other), but I see a lot of the same type of player in Holland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad