Speculation: Which player most likely last time in a Sabres jersey on Saturday?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Reading recaps of yesterday's "tourney" and then today's last practice, it struck me - wonder how many of these players are suiting up as Sabres for the last time on Saturday?

Lots of hopeful tanking and roster speculation going around, what about addition by subtraction - and adios to the subtractions?

I'm guessing Saturday may be the last game as a Sabre for:

Kaleta
Benoit
Mez
Larsson
Girgorenko
Hodgson
Des
Dalpe

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
The only two I feel really sure about are Kaleta and Benoit.

I have a feeling Murray re-signs Mesz as a 7th D next year. :help:

wheelklown

Dec 19, 2014
Batavia, NY
Im not sure what would make anyone think Deslauriers or Gionta wouldnt be back next year.

I voted Mesz because I think he's most likely not to be back.. but I also see them not bringing back Benoit and a chance they dont bring back Kaleta either.... and if Dalpe is back with us he will be in Rochester.

I think all the others will be back, including Grigorenko and unfortunately Hodgson.

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
I think you're missing Ellis, I have a feeling he could be nearing the end as well
Maybe Kaleta (?) taking on the Buffalo/Rochester leadership role? I do think he's gone also.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
% chance last time in Sabres uni
(UFA) Dalpe 95%
(UFA) Strachan 90%
(UFA) Ellis 85%
(UFA) Meszaros 75%
(UFA) Hackett 75%
(UFA) Benoit 60%
(UFA) Kaleta 50%
(Signed) Hodgson 50%
(UFA) Lindback 40%
(RFA) Grigorenko 33%
(RFA) Deslauriers 20%
(RFA) Varone 10%
(RFA) Larsson 5%

I expect Kaleta to take on the franchise veteran role in Rochester (the Matt Ellis role)

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I think you're missing Ellis, I have a feeling he could be nearing the end as well
Maybe Kaleta (?) taking on the Buffalo/Rochester leadership role? I do think he's gone also.

Good points. Never thought of Ellis. Guess I kinda assumed him a safe bet to return to his Roch role. Guess an upside to this post trade deadline stretch has been good run for the guy.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
(UFA) Dalpe 95%
(UFA) Strachan 90%
(UFA) Ellis 85%
(UFA) Meszaros 75%
(UFA) Hackett 75%
(UFA) Benoit 60%
(UFA) Kaleta 50%
(Signed) Hodgson 50%
(UFA) Lindback 40%
(RFA) Grigorenko 33%
(RFA) Deslauriers 20%
(RFA) Varone 10%
(RFA) Larsson 5%

I expect Kaleta to take on the franchise veteran role in Rochester (the Matt Ellis role)

Kaleta still has NHL left in him. Not here but somewhere, Pittsburgh seems to like guys like him.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
(UFA) Dalpe 95%
(UFA) Strachan 90%
(UFA) Ellis 85%
(UFA) Meszaros 75%
(UFA) Hackett 75%
(UFA) Benoit 60%
(UFA) Kaleta 50%
(Signed) Hodgson 50%
(UFA) Lindback 40%
(RFA) Grigorenko 33%
(RFA) Deslauriers 20%
(RFA) Varone 10%
(RFA) Larsson 5%

I feel pretty good about this. Maybe Benoit, Varone a bit higher but otherwise, right in line with my thinking.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I would be upset if Larsson and grig were gone.other than that pass

Upset, okay. What 'bout surprised?

Kane, Girgensens, Ennis, Moulson, Foligno, Gionta. That's six of the top 9 locked and loaded. Add Reinhart and the 2015 1st rounder if both are ready, and you're down to one spot left in the top 9. And that, of course, is *if* Hodgson is traded (to make that spot) and *if* TM doesn't sign another top six winger as many project (to take Hodgson's spot in a sense). So, one spot left - where do both Larsson & Grigorenko fit into that?

Even if Hodgson is out the door, presuming Reinhart & the 2015 draftee are NHL ready for September, I just don't see how Saturday's game is not the last game in a Sabres jersey for at least one of Larsson and Girgorenko. Only guessing of course.

Jumpinjackflash

Dec 9, 2014
Springville ny
I'm thinking mess and Ben for sure will be gone and if kaleta wants to stay with the organization he might have to take a 2 way contract, I don't really see that happening someone will sign kaleta for the energy and grit he brings as well as his pk skills

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Some of those guys will go back to Rochester and be callus in the future.

The vet dmen are gonezo. On that note you forgot Strachan.

I'd be very surprised if any of Larsson, Dlo, or Gionta are gone, unless they're part of a hockey trade.

Grigorenko and Hodgson? Maybe through a trade

Kaleta I would put at 50/50, might be back. I'd re-sign him

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I'm thinking mess and Ben for sure will be gone and if kaleta wants to stay with the organization he might have to take a 2 way contract, I don't really see that happening someone will sign kaleta for the energy and grit he brings as well as his pk skills

Why would he take a two way, that only means he'd be paid less in the AHL.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
In order from most likely to least likely:
Hodgson -100%
Benoit -90%
Kaleta -85%
Meszaros -85%
Grigorenko -50%
Dalpe -40%
Varone -20%
Larsson -5%
Deslauriers -5%
Gionta -0%

Hodgson is gooonnnnnnnnnnne imo. Buy out if can't find a trade.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Upset, okay. What 'bout surprised?

Kane, Girgensens, Ennis, Moulson, Foligno, Gionta. That's six of the top 9 locked and loaded. Add Reinhart and the 2015 1st rounder if both are ready, and you're down to one spot left in the top 9. And that, of course, is *if* Hodgson is traded (to make that spot) and *if* TM doesn't sign another top six winger as many project (to take Hodgson's spot in a sense). So, one spot left - where do both Larsson & Grigorenko fit into that?

Even if Hodgson is out the door, presuming Reinhart & the 2015 draftee are NHL ready for September, I just don't see how Saturday's game is not the last game in a Sabres jersey for at least one of Larsson and Girgorenko. Only guessing of course.
Larsson is proving better than Foligno and is better defensively than Moulson plus has longer term potential than Gionta.

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
Scrubs aside, it looks like 22/25/19 is the real dilemma at forward.
Larsson is proving better than Foligno and is better defensively than Moulson plus has longer term potential than Gionta.

Valid points, Larsson has really proven his worth with the role change and more ice time.

I think Grigo is a low risk high reward piece at this point, we don't necesarily need him to play that role we thought he would when he was drafted.

Hodgson. There must be a GM somewhere willing to gamble that he can put up points again, could he be the difference in value to move up in the draft? Maybe Hodg and a third for another second? Flip our second and Hodg for a mid-late first? Like Murray said, our time is the future.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

Yep. Totally agree. But TM signed Moulson and Gionta to long term deals, presumably for the vet presence at least, so I'd guess they're locks no matter that Larsson may out-perform. Foligno, for his part, is also apparently a piece of the long term plan too, as most recently claimed by Nolan and I believe TM has previously said something similar?

Scrubs aside, it looks like 22/25/19 is the real dilemma at forward.

Valid points, Larsson has really proven his worth with the role change and more ice time.

I think Grigo is a low risk high reward piece at this point, we don't necesarily need him to play that role we thought he would when he was drafted.

Hodgson. There must be a GM somewhere willing to gamble that he can put up points again, could he be the difference in value to move up in the draft? Maybe Hodg and a third for another second? Flip our second and Hodg for a mid-late first? Like Murray said, our time is the future.

I think so? I've been suggesting for a while that some sort of Larsson/Grigorenko/Hodgson package might be tempting to someone. Larsson particularly, and also arguably Grigorenko most recently, has looked promising this last stretch, but neither are proven performers at his level and if Hodgson's dismal season has demonstrated anything it's that even a twice proven 20g 40p producer can end up looking like a question mark by 24 years old.

But... if it's a fair bet that there simply isn't room anyway for 2 of the 3, then packaging those 2 who aren't seen as part of the future by present management could possibly be that much more enticing to an acquirer. What would one clearly NHL-ready top 6/9 prospect and one proven top 6 producer reclamation project get?

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Yep. Totally agree. But TM signed Moulson and Gionta to long term deals, presumably for the vet presence at least, so I'd guess they're locks no matter that Larsson may out-perform. Foligno, for his part, is also apparently a piece of the long term plan too, as most recently claimed by Nolan and I believe TM has previously said something similar?

I think so? I've been suggesting for a while that some sort of Larsson/Grigorenko/Hodgson package might be tempting to someone. Larsson particularly, and also arguably Grigorenko most recently, has looked promising this last stretch, but neither are proven performers at his level and if Hodgson's dismal season has demonstrated anything it's that even a twice proven 20g 40p producer can end up looking like a question mark by 24 years old.

But... if it's a fair bet that there simply isn't room anyway for 2 of the 3, then packaging those 2 who aren't seen as part of the future by present management could possibly be that much more enticing to an acquirer. What would one clearly NHL-ready top 6/9 prospect and one proven top 6 producer reclamation project get?

Coho+ to AZ for the Hawks 1st

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Foligno's had a great year, IMO.

Larsson will compete for a spot because he's still unproven. Nothing wrong with that. I think he'll win it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad