Which PBP/Colour commentators are the worst for calling players by the wrong names

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
After watching the Stars- Blackhawks games last night, I've been wondering just how bad some of these guys really are. The Chicago guys have been calling Antoine Roussel, Dominic, for years. Last night, there were a few new ones. Jones (Johns), Igor Radulov, Mattias Jan-mark, Nick (Devin) Shore. I can see how constant league wide roster turn over could make for some errors, but that doesn't make it any less hilarious/ irritating. Who do you think is the worst offender?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Not sure who does the commentating for the Jets, but I heard 3-4 wrong names the other night when they played the Avs.

Travis Jost, Tristian Barrie. Heard him say that "Minnesota" had a nice scoring opportunity, they weren't even playing lol

Guy was awful.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Not sure who does the commentating for the Jets, but I heard 3-4 wrong names the other night when they played the Avs.

Travis Jost, Tristian Barrie. Heard him say that "Minnesota" had a nice scoring opportunity, they weren't even playing lol

Guy was awful.

Sounds like the average Avs broadcast, to be honest. Mike Haynes used to be great when he was on the radio. Even the early days of his TV career, he was good. He's just not the same after his medical issues. I'm not saying that he's bad, just that his accuracy isn't what it used to be.

Peter McNab, on the other hand, sounds like he's drinking most games, and he gets worse and worse as the game goes on. I'm hoping they replace him with Liles in the relatively near future.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Bob Cole is legendary. The best is when a Newfoundlander plays and Bob just decides to comment on whatever the Newfie is doing regardless of what's actually happening on the ice.

Malkin goes to end to end, dangling everybody "Ohhhh baby, Ryder is backchecking hard".

Reactions: nucks88

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Bob Cole's notorious for not even bothering. While he does often get names wrong, his biggest thing is usually that he doesn't even try with most teams, he'll often just say the name of the city. "Chicago with the puck..."

In Cole's defense, he's been past his Best Before Date for a decade. Hockey fans seem to have a strong sense of nostalgia so somehow it's sacrilegious to even suggest Cole should be sent out to pasture even though he's been poor at his job for years. This is the same reason we listen to Don Cherry's tiresome xenophobic and repetitive ramblings because people would picket Sportsnet if they got rid of him, even though he is objectively horrible.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Romanuk in a landslide.

He gets basic things wrong all the time

There aren't any clips I can find of it but he cannot say James Van Riemsdyk either. He has on occasion called him van Nieuwendyk and once I believe he said "Ben Beanstock"

Calling William Nylander "Michael Nylander" is understandable. It's his father after all, and he played in the NHL for a long time.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Sam Rosen is getting bad in his old age, but he's still a legend and we love him for being available to consume the pizza.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Sounds like the average Avs broadcast, to be honest. Mike Haynes used to be great when he was on the radio. Even the early days of his TV career, he was good. He's just not the same after his medical issues. I'm not saying that he's bad, just that his accuracy isn't what it used to be.

Peter McNab, on the other hand, sounds like he's drinking most games, and he gets worse and worse as the game goes on. I'm hoping they replace him with Liles in the relatively near future.
Was the TSN feed this was on.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Pat Foley of Chicago is by far the worst of all-time. He never calls the play...always is saying they have the puck, we have the puck. He's butchers names constantly...refuses to do any work prior to games. He was fired by the hawks years ago after they tried to consolidate their tv and radio broadcast...Foley was told he would have to start showing up to the skate and doing homework on the oposition...he said no and was fired by the hawks. He went over to the Chicago Wolves and proceeded to do the same thing...except he did call a championship season for them in the AHL...the first championship call of his career. The hawks rehired him after that season and enough public outcry from hawks fans, who co-incidently usually also have no clue who's on the ice at any given time, and before the hawk fans say it...the ONLY reason he's in the Hall of Fame is due to longevity and the Wirtz family still hold a ton of control in the hall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad