Which Older Vet Has a Huge Career Year in 2016-17?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Damn 26 is a veteran now a days. I'm not even gunna bother answering under that criteria but I came in here to post Iginla for true veteran have an unexpected season

Yeah, most of the names proposed here are just vets, not "older vets." I was thinking of guys who are at least 31/32 as the main criteria here, not guys on the downside of their prime, like Crosby at 29.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lucic. Everyone seems to think he's over the hill, but he just turned 28 this summer, was only 7 points off his career high last year, and will be playing on a line with the best player he's ever played with

To be fair. It'll be interesting to see how Luč works in a more open system. Boston and LA work; they hold the puck, they're heavy teams, the play strong... The Oil aren't in that same boat. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep up.

If he can, watch for a monster season.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I think that the average peak in forwards production was calculated to around age 27-28 or so...

That's what I've seen too. Elite forwards peak from 26-29 (goal scoring about a year before assists) so I don't understand the premise of the OP.

Here's one article about it (written by Appleyard on HF Boards)

27 is the age where the average elite player seems to be at their most productive, which is entirely understandable given this age is right at their peak in goals per game and just before their peak in assists per game. Interestingly however is that the “peak†period seems to clearly be from age 26 to 29, though the average player age 30 is approximately as productive as he was aged 24 and 25, and the average 31 and 32 year old elite forwards are more productive that their 22 and 23 year old counterparts.

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/09/peak-decline-elite-nhl-forwards/

Adjusted-Goals-per-821.jpg

Adjusted-Assists-per-82.jpg

Adjusted-Points-per-82.jpg

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/11/the-peak-and-decline-of-1st-line-nhl-forwards/

Eriksson and the Sedins should have good years (though not career years for the Sedins). Benn could have a career year. Really any forward under 28, especially anyone under age 26 last season.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Bergeron set a career high in goals last year and was only 5 points off from his career high so I feel there's a chance he could pass that this season

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Ladd will be Tavares' LW, he could have a very good year. PA Parenteau could have a big year too if he gets that #1RW spot.

I could see Ladd matching his 62 point season but if Tavares' two linemates are Ladd and Parenteau then I feel bad for him an Isles fans. That's a failure of their management, pretty bad.

As for whomever suggested Staal & Iginla, no way is that happening. If the new coach has sense then he'll play Iginla even less and possibly scratch him since the guy has become useless outside the PP (even that isn't set up right anymore imo). I doubt he breaks 25 goals optimistically. Staal just seems like he's mediocre in all aspects of his game now and even a 50-60 point season would be a huge success for him.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
I think Kane is going to hit 100+ again. It seems TSN is trying to treat Kane's season last year as an anomaly. They have Kane scoring 85 points. lol at that.

IMO, I think 26-28 for skaters is too young. Perhaps 30+ should be the standard for all players?

There's a good chance that Kane gets injured again. I see it as very unlikely that he gets to 100 this year.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think that the average peak in forwards production was calculated to around age 27-28 or so...

Actually, if you look at all forwards they peak in productivity per minute at 24, and per game a year later. If you look at top talent, the peak is even earlier. Then they usually keep most of that production up until 30, where they start to decline rapidly.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I feel there could be a bunch of candidates for forwards. While the uber elite forwards peak in their early/mid 20's its not that true among average players. If JVR can stay healthy, I wouldn't be shocked to see him break 61 points or 30 goals which are his benchmarks. Non-Leafs players wise, I really wouldn't be shocked to see Jordan Staal finally break 50 points (but I doubt he has a higher PPG than he did his last year in Pitt). Since joining Carolina, he hasn't had the greatest of luck OISH%, so even if he has a year that slightly beats league average and he manages to play a full 82 games, I wouldn't be shocked at all with a 55 point season.

I agree with this. The very top guys peak offensively around 23ish, but the vast majority of NHL FWDs it seems have a career year or two in that 27-31 range.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I could see Ladd matching his 62 point season but if Tavares' two linemates are Ladd and Parenteau then I feel bad for him an Isles fans. That's a failure of their management, pretty bad.

As for whomever suggested Staal & Iginla, no way is that happening. If the new coach has sense then he'll play Iginla even less and possibly scratch him since the guy has become useless outside the PP (even that isn't set up right anymore imo). I doubt he breaks 25 goals optimistically. Staal just seems like he's mediocre in all aspects of his game now and even a 50-60 point season would be a huge success for him.

Ladd and PAP are far and away the best linemates he's ever had, aside from the brief time they played 51-91-21 last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad