Which Older Vet Has a Huge Career Year in 2016-17?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I feel there could be a bunch of candidates for forwards. While the uber elite forwards peak in their early/mid 20's its not that true among average players. If JVR can stay healthy, I wouldn't be shocked to see him break 61 points or 30 goals which are his benchmarks. Non-Leafs players wise, I really wouldn't be shocked to see Jordan Staal finally break 50 points (but I doubt he has a higher PPG than he did his last year in Pitt). Since joining Carolina, he hasn't had the greatest of luck OISH%, so even if he has a year that slightly beats league average and he manages to play a full 82 games, I wouldn't be shocked at all with a 55 point season.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Let's start at the top:

Crosby

He 100% has the ability to put forth his best season yet. He had a horrible start and inconsistencies last year - mixed in with flashes of absolute domination. If he can be more consistently dominant - he has the potential to do something special.

If Benn fits the age criteria him too. I think his "peak" season may be yet to come.

In comparison - not Kane. Last year was his best. The best he can hope for is to replicate (or close) - but I don't think he can do better.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I think that the average peak in forwards production was calculated to around age 27-28 or so...

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Yeah having watched Sid closely since he was in the CHL, I know it's just pre-season WC hockey, but he looks absolutely dynamite all-around right now. Quite possible this could be his best year ever if healthy.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Jussi Jokine will have a new career high in points and will help the Panthers to reach conference finals as their teams MVP.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I could see Suter or Parise having a huge year under Boudreau. Both came from defensive teams prior to the Wild and under Yeo they were also in a very conservative system. Boudreau should give them a lot of freedom.

I think Kessel is going to be massive. He had a huge burden removed with the Cup where he was a dominant player carrying his own line.

Brouwer is a good one if he plays with Gaudreau.

Eriksson is obviously due for a big bump playing with the twins

I think Toews will have a bounce back year offensively

Lastly, Gaborik looks really good in the WC. If healthy, he can still be very productive with Kopitar

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
May not count because he's 26, but if Cooper parks Drouin on his wing, I think Stamkos could put up big goal totals this year.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Over-26 Forwards
Over-28 Defensemen
Over-31 Goaltenders

Who will defy expectations of a decline and string together the best season of their career?

I think Kane is going to hit 100+ again. It seems TSN is trying to treat Kane's season last year as an anomaly. They have Kane scoring 85 points. lol at that.

IMO, I think 26-28 for skaters is too young. Perhaps 30+ should be the standard for all players?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
If Pacioretty continues clicking with Galchenyuk as well as he did near the end of last year he could finally hit 40 goals

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Don't know about a career year since he's had some awesome seasons, but it's all set for Louie Eriksson. He's one of the most underrated players ever to play the game and he deserves all the success he undoubtedly is going to have playing with the Sedins.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I think that the average peak in forwards production was calculated to around age 27-28 or so...

It was, maybe even as little as five years ago. Forwards have definitely been trending to peak in the 22-23-24 years old range for some time now.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Lucic. Everyone seems to think he's over the hill, but he just turned 28 this summer, was only 7 points off his career high last year, and will be playing on a line with the best player he's ever played with

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Eriksson. He will be the shooter on the Sedin line. He will certainly have a big year. Even the clinically dead Vrbata had a career high on this line.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lucic. Everyone seems to think he's over the hill, but he just turned 28 this summer, was only 7 points off his career high last year, and will be playing on a line with the best player he's ever played with
McDavid is an amazing player, but I wouldn't say he is the best player (at this stage, obviously pedigree wise he is) that Lucic ever player with. Lucic got significant time with Kopitar last year, and has previously had significant minutes with Bergeron and prime Marc Savard.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
McDavid is an amazing player, but I wouldn't say he is the best player (at this stage, obviously pedigree wise he is) that Lucic ever player with. Lucic got significant time with Kopitar last year, and has previously had significant minutes with Bergeron and prime Marc Savard.

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla was also a hell of a line.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Weber wins his Norris, new consensus is he's not a washed up 30 year old defenseman, Nashville fans roll their eyes.

If he wins a Norris, it means he isn't washed up and he still has a lot of gas left in the tank. While he isn't washed up, he did take a step back in the past two years. Josi surpassed him and his contract was going to be an issue, so he was traded.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Damn 26 is a veteran now a days. I'm not even gunna bother answering under that criteria but I came in here to post Iginla for true veteran have an unexpected season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad